Thread: Dashboard out! What can I delete?

Array
    Status
    Sherman TX
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

Dashboard out! What can I delete?

I'm having a wiring issue, and I wanted to refinish my dashboard anyways so I pulled it out. Here's what I'm left with:
    IMG_7216.jpg
    Trying to figure out what I can delete, just to clean things up.
    1. To the far left is the ECU, which obviously will stay in.
    2. To the left of the ECU, I'm not sure what that is. What is that white thing and do I need it?
    3. The black box to the left of the white thing is labeled "cooling unit". My a/c compressor was deleted by previous owner, so I'm going to delete that unless one of you knows a reason I shouldn't?
    4. To the left of the cooling unit we have a piece of the black plastic ductwork that delivers the a/c or heat to the cab. I live in texas and I'm not worried about heat, and my a/c is deleted like I said. So I'm thinking I'll take that piece out along with all the rest of it that I pulled out with the dash.
    5. To the left of that black pipe we have another white box. I'm assuming this one has something to do with the heater core? I have a feeling it is so I should leave this box in.

If anything I said is incorrect, please let me know! Should I leave in some things that I plan to remove? Should I take out something that I thought I needed?

Appreciate your time guys!

Array
    Status
    Sherman TX
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    *Edit to #1. I meant the ECU is on the far RIGHT.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    #2 - big white thing is your blower motor for your heater/ac. So if you still want heat/ac/fan then it needs to stay.
    #3 - it is for ac, you can delete it but if you still want to run your heater/blower you are going to need to create a duct from the blower motor to the heater core unit.
    #4 - duct for dash vents and defrost vents
    #5 - heater core/unit

Really, if you don't care about heat/ac/defrost then you can delete them all....

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Just a heads up, when you remove the Heater box (big piece in the middle) there is a Nut, in the engine compartment that you have to remove.

when I removed everything from under the dash, going racing, I found it after beating the thing into submission and finally a sawzall to get it out.
    that's when i found the stud going thru the firewall with the nut in the engine compartment, by the transmission tunnel on the passenger side. Just sayin'

Oh yeah, basically everything can come out..this is the roll cage being put in...

Fire Bottle.jpg

Then put the dash back in....

DS Interior.jpg

Array
    Status
    Sherman TX
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by DroppedMitsu View Post
    #2 - big white thing is your blower motor for your heater/ac. So if you still want heat/ac/fan then it needs to stay.
    #3 - it is for ac, you can delete it but if you still want to run your heater/blower you are going to need to create a duct from the blower motor to the heater core unit.
    #4 - duct for dash vents and defrost vents
    #5 - heater core/unit

Really, if you don't care about heat/ac/defrost then you can delete them all....
    Very informative, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LSR Mike View Post
    Just a heads up, when you remove the Heater box (big piece in the middle) there is a Nut, in the engine compartment that you have to remove.

when I removed everything from under the dash, going racing, I found it after beating the thing into submission and finally a sawzall to get it out.
    that's when i found the stud going thru the firewall with the nut in the engine compartment, by the transmission tunnel on the passenger side. Just sayin'

Oh yeah, basically everything can come out..this is the roll cage being put in...

Fire Bottle.jpg

Then put the dash back in....

DS Interior.jpg
    Appreciate it! Roll cage is lookin good!

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    If u ever plan on driving in the rain it would help to have the defrost working to unfog the windshield.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by crvtec90 View Post
    If u ever plan on driving in the rain it would help to have the defrost working to unfog the windshield.
    This is kind of a ghetto fix but I have seen this method employed when a heater unit has failed and there are no accessible alternatives - 12v travel hair dryers. Compact, easy to pull apart and modify and with a bit of thought can be rigged up off the original heater fan controls. Eliminates the heater box and core plus all the related under dash plumbing. And they're dirt cheap too!

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    or get the 12 volt DC heaters from harbor freight - they work fast.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Usa
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Kind of hijacking here, but how different is this set up from the first generation trucks? I don't have the white piece to the far right, but I still have air moving through the vents.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    totally different - 2nd gen closer to starquest than 1st gen
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980