Thread: Greetings!

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Greetings!

Just wanted to introduce myself and say "Hi"!

My name is Mike and I am a gear-head.

Short backstory:
    I had a 1987 Conquest that I picked up as a non-running turd heap. It only had 47k original miles and was absolutely immaculate. The electrical/injection had been butchered by the previous owner in an attempt to get it running. They failed and gave up on it, parked it under a carport and covered it with a car cover, for 20 years. I got it running amazingly and drove it for a while. I really wanted a Mighty Max to sit next to my re-badged Starion. I looked and looked for one while I had the'Quest but never ran across "the one". I sold the 'Quest and a couple of weeks later "Max" entered my life.

Max is a 95. Regular cab, 2wd, 5 speed. He was also a dirty, stinky,smoking turd heap. Lots of love, time, and a few dollars later he is my go-to daily driver. I absolutely LOVE this truck and honestly enjoy it more than I ever did the 'Quest.

I found this forum on my never-ending journey to better 'ol Max and... here I am.

Nice to meet you all.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. Mitsubishis are pretty hard to kill - except in the hands of the ghetto rigger. I really don't know why the very basic wiring needs to be hatchetted to fix an electrical fault but it happens a lot. Same goes for regular servicing (an oil flush and change once ina while goes a long way). It sounds like the Conquest had to go so you could move onto the Max you've always wanted. When you figure out how to post up pics, add them to your thread (keeps the voyeurs happy ) You have a bigger plan for your truck?
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I should have known better... haha! I really dont have many pictures on my phone. Ill have to take some more. Nothing really crazy. Same stuff everyone does really. Thats how he looked after I got him home and polished/waxed the paint. 1.1.jpg

3.jpg Here is how he sits now.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    By far the best thing I did was the interior. No before shots but this is how it looks now...4.jpg

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    5" drop in the rear and 3" in the front. Those are 18" Nissan (Titan I think) wheels with 225/40/R18's.

Its a slow project meant to be fun. So I do what I can, when I can. Im going to spray the wheels next, as the finish is pretty rough.

Again.. Nothing special but it sure is fun to work on and a blast to cruise around.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The seat retrofit looks really good - where did you source the seats from? Those rims are enormous! I think the wheels will look good in a metallic charcoal colour. Thanks for posting.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I sorta started out the same way but opposite. I got a truck first which led me to the car (then another, and another truck and another....). your "turd heap" sure cleaned up nicely i must say!

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by StarquestMan View Post
    I sorta started out the same way but opposite. I got a truck first which led me to the car (then another, and another truck and another....). your "turd heap" sure cleaned up nicely i must say!
    I loved that Conquest but I was constantly worried about something going wrong with it so I couldn't really enjoy it when Id drive it. Im on Starquestclub.com under the same username as here. I tried selling it there first but nobody was interested.

I guess "turd heap" isnt really accurate... The truck was absolutely filthy. The interior was covered in grime, grease, and what can only be described as human "funk". A weird dirt/oil/sweat mixture that was on everything youd touch. Plus... About 3 lbs of dog food and another 3 lbs of dog hair. It was... BAD. It smoked like a train because the oil was changed twice in its lifetime and the valve stem seals were as hard as granite. Had a lot of top-end noise and several oil leaks. Clutch had never been adjusted, coolant looked terrible... Just lots of stuff like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. Mitsubishis are pretty hard to kill - except in the hands of the ghetto rigger. I really don't know why the very basic wiring needs to be hatchetted to fix an electrical fault but it happens a lot. Same goes for regular servicing (an oil flush and change once ina while goes a long way). It sounds like the Conquest had to go so you could move onto the Max you've always wanted. When you figure out how to post up pics, add them to your thread (keeps the voyeurs happy ) You have a bigger plan for your truck?
    The PO had butchered the wiring in an effort to trouble shoot the non-firing injectors I am guessing. Cutting and cutting probably stemmed from not being able to locate the problem and further down the rabit hole he went... Would have helped if he'd looked for the injector-resistor pack (which was gone) and tested the igniter(which was bad). hahaha!
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    The seat retrofit looks really good - where did you source the seats from? Those rims are enormous! I think the wheels will look good in a metallic charcoal colour. Thanks for posting.
    Thank you! I am proud of that stupid seat. It was a giant pain in the rear but totally worth it. It came out of a 2010 Hyundai or Kia. I cant remember the model. I had to make a new frame for it. I retained the adjustability of sliding forward and back as well as the backs being adjustable. So much more comfortable than that damn bench seat and it has am armrest/cup holder. Truth be told, having an arm rest was my motivation to change the seat.

Funny you mention that color for the wheels.. I actually have a color called "cast iron". Looks just like it sounds... raw cast iron. Its a dark steel color. Thinking about adding just a touch of pearl for depth and glow.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    The seat was out of a 2010 Hyundai or Kia SUV. Pretty sure it was a Tucson but I honestly dont remember.
    I dont have to ability to edit my posts.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Donators get the edit function unlocked. A donation of $15 USD will get you a vinyl cut window decal which is pretty cool too. Only need to make the donation once but regular donations help keep the site up and operational.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hello & Welcome Mike,

"Get-er-done" Mike, you inspire me these trucks give back more than they take & no monthly mortgage payment X 10 years

Neat truck, the pearl will look good in the wheel paint, more is better

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    Hello & Welcome Mike,

"Get-er-done" Mike, you inspire me these trucks give back more than they take & no monthly mortgage payment X 10 years

Neat truck, the pearl will look good in the wheel paint, more is better
    Thanks for the kind words! I just finished the wheels this afternoon. They were really rashed up. Used a ton of sandpaper and my fingers are raw but the result (I think anyway) was totally worth it! IMG_20191124_151417.jpg

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    That...looks pretty damned good! What type of paint is it (epoxy, urethane etc)? Looks like a factory finish. These should bump the look of your truck up a level or 2.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    2nd that LOOKS GREAT..!

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I guess I am terrible at reading my own threads. haha!

The paint is an acrylic enamel. Not an ideal system for wheels but easy enough to fix if they get scratched or need to be freshened up.