Array
    Status
    texas
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Convince me!

First of all, hi! I'm obviously new here!

So here's the deal. I was given an 87 Ram 50 a couple weeks ago as part of a birthday present. I have been looking for a truck, growing up in Texas, trucks have always been a big deal. Anyways, when I saw this truck, I was slightly disappointed...that's not exactly what I meant when I said "I want a truck" but, not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth, I graciously accepted.

I'll be honest, I never even knew these trucks existed, and I don't think I've ever seen one until I got this one. I've driven it a couple times, and I have to admit, it runs really well considering the age, and it was obviously taken care of. It just needs a few paint touch ups and the AC is a little off(which I've been told that I need to buy a conversion kit before recharging, there may be a thread on this, I've just started looking, but if anyone has any advice on this, please feel free to share), but it's pretty solid other than that.

Anyways, I've been trying to convince myself that this is a good little truck and I should be proud of it, but I still cringe just a little when I look out and see it in the driveway. So I need your help! If you all are enthusiasts...please tell me what makes these trucks so special?

I have at least managed to name him, just because I name everything, so everyone...meet Hector!
    IMAG3246.jpg

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    what makes is special is it's not just another Ford Ranger, Chevy S10, Toyota Pick-up, Nissan......., If you do it up like you would any other mini truck you will have more people asking "What is it?" Granted it's not a full size chevy (OMG I typed that word again) but they are fun little trucks to play with. If you want to go a little over board you can always do a 4g63 Turbo swap or even go up to a small block V8.

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G63
    I have a 1990 Mitsu and I love it....................just wish I could drive it.

If I had 20,000 bux I would put half of it into this one. My wife thinks I'm nuts.

Then I would put the rest into my 84 D50.

Reason being is, you don't see these very often, and they are a dying breed.

So, take it, accept it, love it, drive it, build it, cherish it. She'll do you well.

My little 175 bux 1984 D50 has done me well since 1998. Still going strong.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Ever seen those AXE commercials where women can't control themselves when they get a wiff of some dork wearing AXE? Well these trucks are like AXE, but you can drive it.

Take a look in the gallery at some of the trucks people own here. There are more things you can do to one of these trucks than any other truck. They run forever if you just take care of it. They are simple, classy, and came in so many flavors...Mighty Max, D50, Ram50, Arrow, so you have seen one you just were not paying attention. Now that you own one, your under it's power. Just a warning...Wives or Girlfriends don't understand this stuff, they eventually will have to give up and submit to you paying more attention to it then to them. lol

Array
    Status
    texas
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    Just a warning...Wives or Girlfriends don't understand this stuff, they eventually will have to give up and submit to you paying more attention to it then to them. lol
    Haha, well I'm a girl, but I'm definitely a "car girl". From everything everyone has said, I guess I actually got more than what I asked for. I wanted something that I could fix up and make it look "cool"...so I'm getting excited. It already is a really good little truck, I drove it around all day yesterday and it did everything I asked of it with very little effort. That was really my main concern, the performance, because I'm no mechanic. I can make a truck or car LOOK good, but when it comes to the mechanical aspects, I need the truck to be on its best performance with as little help from me as possible. Obviously I can keep up with the normal stuff, like maintenance, but I need it to be able to last me awhile!

Array
    Status
    North West Florida
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Welcome. They start to grow on you, when I first saw one I did not like it either. Now I dont think I would buy any other mini truck, also they are by far the easiest vehicle mechanicly I have ever owned or worked on. That alone makes it special.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Dude that truck already looks cool. Nobody has mentioned this yet but it's a LONGBED. You just DON"T see those anymore. You've got a pretty rare truck. I sold my 94 to get a *gasp* full size chevy longbed but it's a work truck. I've got a 84 diesel at home and I'm hooked on that. I've had every brand of small pickup and I like these the most since #1 they're neat and rare and #2 nobody else has them. I notice when I drive my chevy they're EVERYWHERE and it's an 81.. Try finding a 81 D50 or Mighty max or.. being 81, a Plymouth ARROW truck at a local mcdonalds.. Yeah won't happen.

Main thing I like about these trucks is they feel like you're driving an import car which I like the most. The first gens more so than 2nd gens since they sit lower.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by sammerson View Post
    Haha, well I'm a girl, but I'm definitely a "car girl". From everything everyone has said, I guess I actually got more than what I asked for. I wanted something that I could fix up and make it look "cool"...so I'm getting excited. It already is a really good little truck, I drove it around all day yesterday and it did everything I asked of it with very little effort. That was really my main concern, the performance, because I'm no mechanic. I can make a truck or car LOOK good, but when it comes to the mechanical aspects, I need the truck to be on its best performance with as little help from me as possible. Obviously I can keep up with the normal stuff, like maintenance, but I need it to be able to last me awhile!
    My apologies Sammerson, I meant no harm in my reply...just humor. Would you believe me if I said it was a guy thing? You are certainly a rare item if your what you say you are.
    These trucks last a long time, I should know because I treat my Mitsy like a lady, and have had her since '87 Keep the oil changed regularly is your most important thing. Do not overheat them ever. They can crack the heads very easy. Know when the timing belts were replaced, especially if you have interference valves which will hit the pistons if timing belt breaks while driving. Fuel filter changing is easy and should be done once a year or so.
    One more thing...your in pretty much in a boys locker room, no offense. We rarely get the smell of perfume in here so take things with a grain of salt. Perhaps a Pink paint job would be a great start towards making your truck cool.
    I want to see you make the truck look Purdy now,

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Not all pink trucks are owned by girls - and mine isn't the only male owned one on here... lol
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Quote Originally Posted by sammerson View Post
    Haha, well I'm a girl, but I'm definitely a "car girl".
    Then here is what you can do with this truck.
    See this post they said a girl cant do it...

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...agged-build-up
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    Not all pink trucks are owned by girls - and mine isn't the only male owned one on here... lol
    Somehow I knew I would wake up the members with pink trucks. You know as I wrote that to her I had this weird feeling I would get a response from you.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Some people like to cause trouble... then there is you...
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    U wana make that truck fast? Drop a 360 in it and call it a day

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    anyone can do that - how about a supra v6 turbo, or 350z motor...
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Toyota Supra 1jzgtte 2.5 Twin Turbo Complete Swap
    $1,100.00
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Supra...ap-/7979182911

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    I don't think the guy is comming back. one post and thats it seen it many times. oh well
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com