Array
    Status
    Florence, SC
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

new to forum with a couple of questions

Just picked up a 94 Mighty Max with a g464 and a 5 speed. The engine idles rough for the first 5-6 seconds after starting the truck....I changed the fuel filter, air filter and pcv valve...and it didn't get any better. Also, what weight motor oil are you guys running? I originally changed the oil when I picked up the truck with Castrol HM 5w30, but it's burning/leaking 1 quart every 500 miles....so I changed it again with Rotella 15w40, but the engine developed the infamous valve lash adjuster tick after the change. So I'm at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys. I'm a member of Bitog and was advised to join this forum to ask vehicle specific questions.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Welcome to the forum

My recommendation would be to replace the engin coolant sensor...not the one for the gauge (one prong) but the one that tells the ECU the engine temperature (two prong).

You will do you AND your truck a huge favor by taking the time to read this thread http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...and-do-it-ASAP

I'm running straight 30 weight in my 2.4 that has 219,000 miles on it. Yours sounds like it's time for that Rite Of Passage: the valve seal replacement.

Array
    Status
    Florence, SC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I've heard it's inevitable, so how expensive/complicated is it to change them?

Array
    Status
    Florence, SC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    And thanks for the link!

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by 94mightymax View Post
    I've heard it's inevitable, so how expensive/complicated is it to change them?
    I paid $432.96 for mine. It took fifteen days to replace.

Ha! Made ya look!

The sending unit is around $12-20 and involves draining a bit of coolant, as it is located at or on the thermostat housing.

Another boogar that plagues our trucks is the EGR valve, and yours is on the plenum (air intake). They get pretty stuffed up with carbon, cigarette butts, old socks and an occassional stray racoon. As they control vaccum function, it might be well to take it off and have a look. It's two bolts.

scan0039.jpg

Array
    Status
    Florence, SC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Ok awesome lol, I'll have a look at the EGR valve first since it's the easiest, how bad is replacing the valve seals?

Array
    Status
    Florence, SC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I've already done about half of the things on the list, but I really need to pull the timing cover and check the belt. I'm fairly mechanically inclined so I'm sure I could change the EGR and the coolant sensor, but don't have experience with the heavier maintenance like valve seals and timing belts, but I'm willing to try anything to save some money lol