Thread: No start

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I know how you like to play safe with the vehicle so I have to ask; How long do you crank it for? I ask because mine I had to hold it cranking for like 20-30 seconds a couple of times to get it to finally catch and run. It started then died as soon as I let go the key twice at least. Then it finally kicked over and held an idle and let me gas it without dying.
    Seems like that would indicate a real problem but the compression and leak down test I did last summer say otherwise. It is definitely a timing electrics carb relationship thing on mine. I think you still have the Mikuni right? You might consider looking into that shop Kelly from Florida found that does rebuilt Mikuni's.
    Having said that I just realized IDK why it wasn't running in the first place. How did it die?

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    For two years my truck ran good except a little rough idle until warmed, then we replaced a GAS leaking accelerator diaphram, then the dirty little secret of cracking off a chunk of the phenolic throttle body made the accelerator cover leak GAS even worse, then super glued the cracked off chunk but it still leaked GAS (at this point a new problem started = extreme rough idle at startup) then a junk yard Mikuni was installed which did not leak GAS + it gave the truck more power at wide open throttle & more power to the power brakes BUT (that new super rough idle when cold was still there) I am rather concerned about that rotten idle when cold since both carburetors did it (I suspect there is another dirty little secret that is not yet discovered) ??? All vacuum lines been checked OK, truck has a new fuel pump installed about a year ago... So, a few more parts & a small ultrasonic cleaner have yet to arrive before I try making a carburetor repair... I think I will rebuild the junk yard Mikuni and keep my cracked original Mikuni to look at when trying to reassemble the dang puzzle...

To answer your question (if it was addressed to me?) for the most part (averaging in the good times & bad) my truck would start on about the fifth revolution, give or take 1 or 2... About 5 to 10 seconds of cranking in normal life..?

Now, no matter how much or how long you crank, it's simply DEAD MEAT not a snap crackle or pop just NADA even with a battery charger on it...

Suposedly I read somewhere that carbureted engines start quicker than fuel injected engines OR I was just dreaming 'n not reading
    Aloha --
    George (I been toying with the idea of having my wife rebuild the Mikuni while I sit back and watch ~ might get a better result)

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    George (I been toying with the idea of having my wife rebuild the Mikuni while I sit back and watch ~ might get a better result)
    Make sure you have a post-nuptual agreement written up before putting her and yourself through that. It'll end badly As far as Japanese carbies are concerned, the Mikuni isn't the basket case out of the bunch but it's still a swine to rebuild. I prefer the old all alloy Mikuni carb for rebuilding. Only solenoid on it was the fuel cut - one wire. Just thoroughly clean it before disassembly, have a clear work space with a decent light, break it down into the 3 basic components and don't randomly turn it upside down while stripping it. If it's got a spot of paint on it, don't meddle with it. If you have to pull apart the auto choke to reset the choke butterfly spring load cold, be prepared to get into a fight with it. Have your phone handy and take pictures as you go. This nightmare is about paying attention to what you're doing. A dead carby is the best place to learn about the Mikuni and if you can strip and assemble it a few times without losing anything, there's a good chance you can also resurrect it
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I have no need coz I have no more money to lose in a divorce Rock Auto & Amazon got all my money
    ha ha ha ha

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    LOL I wanted a new distributor from some online vendor and the shipping was $10,000 dollars I was going to ask were they going to send it to my place still wrapped in the warehouse. Rock Auto and Amazon are probably keeping money in your pocket George, it's the mechanics that are fleecing you
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    George, it's the mechanics that are fleecing you
    Could be geezer, could be, even if unitentional (sp?) My father always said: "If you want something done right, then do it yourself..."

(below) Pics of accumulated parts so far; all RockAuto ordered parts have arrived, waiting on the little ultrasonic cleaner from Amazon... Popped the hood today and removed the negative battery cable from the battery... Thought changing the O2 sensor would be a snap (it's not) much heat shield 'n crap to remove just to get at it (hurts my lazy bones just thinking about it..!) I might buy a 14mm X 1.25 TPI thread chaser from O'Reilly's for changing the spark plugs (one hole, the threads acted loose getting to torque/stripped? yikes?) I'll squirt carb cleaner & rag the heck around the plugs before removing em & try cleaning threads too... I use a good amount of antiseize compound on spark plug threads & I minimize the electrical silicone on spark plug cables (too much causes shorts & sparking to ground)... I read this doo doo somewhere, it was never included in my Navy career... Oh, and change spark plugs on a C0LD engine never on a HOT engine (think bi-metallic thread stripping problems with aluminum head V.S. Steel spark plug)

OK pics & Aloha--
    George
    P.S. I do appreciate the attention & inspiration you guys always offer, it helps a LOT
    P.P.S. If I can just keep this little grocery getter going another two years; I read automakers are planning on selling little trucks/trucklets again (with new parts dependability and warranty too) I'll be looking/buying for sure
    20200617_151335.jpg20200617_151353.jpg20200617_151403.jpg20200617_151410.jpg20200617_151417.jpg20200617_151430.jpg20200617_151500.jpg20200617_154100.jpg

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I have a couple of trains of thought on DIY'ing (mostly keeping cash in the pockets) "if some other monkey can do it, this monkey can do it too", "don't ever take at face value advice you're given if the guy giving it has an agenda other than genuinely helping you" (getting burnt by a crook is a great motivator ) Your footnote on electrical grease is dead on. I SNAFU'D this week while resurrecting wifeys Elantra and put a dab of grease on the insulators on the spark plug leads as these b@stards have a habit of ripping the metal sleeves out by getting jammed onto the spark plugs (@ $65 AUD a set, this is an expensive phuc up) Now it misfires like it's possessed and has exposed a dead coil pack in the process. I feel your pain George...

A nice haul you have accumulated - this will keep you entertained for a while! Good luck

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    You just made my day geezer~san

The ultrasonic cleaner arrived today, box is kinda small ?

So, now I'm reading through Haynes & FSM trying to see if I should purchase a DMM innova 3340 & a vacuum tester kit

Maybe tonight we will wrench on the truck, so scary, maybe just remove the air cleaner

Coolant water leaked out when Vernon removed the carb, maybe I should get an oil change box it might fit under the truck & wifey can try catching spills?

Do I need to clamp any fuel hoses 4 leaks?

Thanks for your input my man -- I would follow a Hung Dog thread -- just to see some photos of "IT"

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    You just made my day geezer~san

The ultrasonic cleaner arrived today, box is kinda small ?

So, now I'm reading through Haynes & FSM trying to see if I should purchase a DMM innova 3340 & a vacuum tester kit

Maybe tonight we will wrench on the truck, so scary, maybe just remove the air cleaner

Coolant water leaked out when Vernon removed the carb, maybe I should get an oil change box it might fit under the truck & wifey can try catching spills?

Thanks for your input my man -- I would follow a Hung Dog thread -- just to see some photos of "IT"

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    When removing a Mikuni carb, you have to drain off some coolant to avoid it back spilling into the manifold (don't worry, EVERYONE does it ) Either siphon some from the radiator or have an ice cream bucket etc under one of the manifold hoses (heater bypass hose to manifold base is the best place) and let it drain until you have no coolant pouring out. That way the coolant won't try to back log up through the coolant port under the carb

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by 85Ram50 View Post
    I know how you like to play safe with the vehicle so I have to ask; How long do you crank it for? I ask because mine I had to hold it cranking for like 20-30 seconds a couple of times to get it to finally catch and run. It started then died as soon as I let go the key twice at least. Then it finally kicked over and held an idle and let me gas it without dying.
    Seems like that would indicate a real problem but the compression and leak down test I did last summer say otherwise. It is definitely a timing electrics carb relationship thing on mine. I think you still have the Mikuni right? You might consider looking into that shop Kelly from Florida found that does rebuilt Mikuni's.
    Having said that I just realized IDK why it wasn't running in the first place. How did it die?
    85Ram50, do you have any further contact info for Kelly from Florida..? I still need some Mikuni software parts a Bowl Vent Valve diaphragm and the little rubber piece on the shaft & who knows what else...

Thanks-A-Lot
    George

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    So everyone gets to see the answer, Kelly came up with this shop that has Mikuni Solex carbs. https://guaranteedcarburetors.com/-4...UCKS_c_48.html
    And this guy I found in a search. https://www.carburetor-parts.com/Mikuni-Solex_c_28.html
    Last edited by 85Ram50; 06-20-2020 at 06:52 AM.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    SOME GOOD/GREAT NEWS:

Am making slow progress & doing everything I can to avoid actually working under the hood of my truck

Here is a link: https://www.carbtech.us/ to a carburetor repair guy (ALLEN) in Tacoma, WA who phoned me back saying he will put a new diaphragm on my part (bowl vent valve) if he can't find a new part in his warehouse... YES YES YES The other carburetor guy links (above post) have not replied yet to my contacting them...

Here are photos of the little ultrasonic cleaner which tested ok today (heat & ultrasound sat) Amazon $95.00 includes tax & shipping... I put a bead of sealer around the tank top & case -- might help keep fluid out of the electronics inside... They also included a small clear plastic sticky to cover the control panel to prevent water getting inside... Size matters but price goes up accordingly; hopefully the Mikuni will fit in the small tank, even if it requires flipping onto all four sides in four separate cleaning cycles to clean it... Instructions say ok to remove basket to clean larger items & use regular tap water NOT distilled water (distilled can damage some items..!)

Cleaned Wifey's jewelry to perform the unit's test ~ sheeze happy

20200620_132912.jpg20200620_121909.jpg20200620_121918.jpg20200620_125750.jpg20200620_125710.jpg20200618_185137.jpg20200618_185215.jpg

Thank you all for viewing & helping me... I hate to say this but this truck belongs more in a museum than as a dependable daily driver on public roads... Mostly coz parts are so difficult to locate if not impossible to obtain and it died on us while getting groceries... Hopefully my attitude will improve IF & WHEN we get it running again... At least there are signs that automakers might be selling small trucks in USA again in a couple or few years... Maybe they will have one just as cute and solid driving as this little bugger..?

Bye --
    George

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    They do make nitrile gloves to keep your hands clean if you want to work under there.
    I hope he solves your problem for you.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Excellent stuff. I am surprised they don't recommend distilled water - if they used Adelaide tap water, the stuff would boil from all of the crap they put in it. It turns the bottom of an electric kettle white within a few days of use

*fun fact - back in the day there were places that ships refused to take on 'potable' water when docked. Calcutta was one... and Adelaide made the honours list as well. A meal in every glass

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by 85Ram50 View Post
    They do make nitrile gloves to keep your hands clean if you want to work under there.
    I hope he solves your problem for you.
    Funny, I bought a 100 pair box of black nitrile gloves when the virus became popular..! 85Ram50 you know me well, ha ha... I wear the gloves & mask to unpack & sanitize stuff when it arrives; especially stuff Made-in-China..!

received_302354827465910.jpeg
    Last edited by xboxrox; 06-21-2020 at 03:04 AM.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    yuck geezer

I stood engineroom watches on my 2nd ship USS SURFBIRD ADG 383 (it might still be alive in Alaska moving freight?) part of my engineroom watch was to babysit two Badger vapor stills freshwater makers... Made enuff water for cooking & cooling the diesel engine's heat exchangers -- no showers allowed only sink bird baths 99% of the time...

Watched AFRTS as Neil Armstrong stepped on the moon on that boat's wide screen 19" B&W TV while eating in the mess deck in Da Nang... Seems so long ago, my how time flys...

USS_Pampanito_fresh_water_evaporator_1.jpg
    Badger vapor compression distiller
    Last edited by xboxrox; 06-21-2020 at 03:24 AM.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    You look like Walter White Holy crap, that would've been soooo cool to experience. Even if we know the footage was faked, it was one of the most pivotal events in history (YES THEY WENT TO THE MOON but the couldn't risk not being able to transmit or record any footage if the conditions affected the equipment, so don't start reaching for the tin foil hats)

*fun fact (and time for me to make you feel older George *sorry*) - my parents named me after Armstrong. Could've been worse, they could've named me Buzz and I would've been on the receiving end of Toy Story jokes to infinity and beyond...

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    You look like Walter White Holy crap, that would've been soooo cool to experience. Even if we know the footage was faked, it was one of the most pivotal events in history (YES THEY WENT TO THE MOON but the couldn't risk not being able to transmit or record any footage if the conditions affected the equipment, so don't start reaching for the tin foil hats)

*fun fact (and time for me to make you feel older George *sorry*) - my parents named me after Armstrong. Could've been worse, they could've named me Buzz and I would've been on the receiving end of Toy Story jokes to infinity and beyond...
    I'm going from this to this and this and yeah, Walter White 'n me have similar hairlines...

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Back to working on Mr. Mikuni, thinking about it anyway... I read five minutes worth of carburetor chapter 14 of FSM and got a surprise (see photo)
    20200701_230628.jpg

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    That is for a basic tear-down. Is there a section guiding you through resetting a choke butterfly that has gone out of calibration? This is a biatch of a job and probably the reason why the manual says don't mess with it...

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    See if you can find some joy here George https://www.nationalcarburetors.com/...itsutruck.html

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Yep geezer I bet, the FSM does not address full rebuild

JOY less than $350.00 shipped at that link geezer..! Wonder how well rebuilt they are ?
    Last edited by xboxrox; 07-03-2020 at 05:34 PM.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    Yep geezer I bet, the FSM does not address full rebuild

JOY less than $350.00 shipped at that link geezer..! Wonder how well rebuilt they are ?
    Search for reviews online. they look good so far. With that $100 discount its cheaper than a new weber

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I've invested a $ bunch $ already in tools & parts to try fixing it myself

I've read online that often, rebuilt carburetors are not always rebuilt very well, they sometimes have problems..? These same sites that sell rebuilt Mikuni carbs don't have the parts to fix one..? What gives..? They most often do not sell or have the more rare parts, like valve software & diaphrams... One shop did say they could make a diaphragm for a hard to find part...

So if they honestly don't have the parts to rebuild the Mikuni carb then how well did they rebuild them..?

Aloha & Happy 4th of July Ya'll
    George

P.S. That $100 reduced price Mikuni might save my truck as a last resort BUT it becomes more like almost $400 with taxes shipping core blah blah -- you know the drill :^)
    Last edited by xboxrox; 07-04-2020 at 02:47 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast