Thread: Engine Timing and glow plug burn out?

Array
    Status
    Yakima, WA
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

4D55-T

Engine Timing and glow plug burn out?

I'm burning through glow plugs every month or so. It runs fine, and I dont think its electrical. I've heard that if the timing on the engine is off, it will overheat and burn out glow plugs. Is this accurate? If so, how to adjust timing?

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    Are you sure you are running correct voltage through them? Stock plugs are 5v usually

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    What is your current set up? Are you still running the factory timed setup or has it been updated to a manual type? Every month is pretty bad, but I don't see how timing would effect the amount of heat that the glow plugs put out.

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Spence View Post
    What is your current set up? Are you still running the factory timed setup or has it been updated to a manual type? Every month is pretty bad, but I don't see how timing would effect the amount of heat that the glow plugs put out.
    I think hes thinking the plugs are in the combustion chamber

Array
    Status
    Yakima, WA
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

4D55-T
    Its a manual, 12V, push button system. I talked with a electrical mechanic and he told me that the battery is pushing 12V, and the plugs are 12V, so it should not be electrical. Ive tried 6V and 9V plugs with no better outcome. I cant figure out why the plugs are burning out so quick. Ideas?

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    You sure you have 12v plugs in them? i had a heck of a time finding a 11v, and that was the closest i could find.
    factory is 6v, they pump 12v for a few seconds then steps down to 6v

How long are you holding it? the 6v and 11v have a heater protection circuit to keep from getting to hot

Array
    Status
    los angeles
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarvin View Post
    If so, how to adjust timing?
    I don't know if that is accurate. My guess is that a glowplug should be designed to handle the conditions of being inside an engine, so I would lean towards thinking it was electrical, just like everybody else here. But if you do want to adjust the timing, there should be some explanations if you search on this site... The proper tools include a dial (or digital) indicator, and an adapter to hold the indicator to the back of the pump. Then you loosen the pump and set the timing marks and twist the pump until the settings are correct (indicator is 1mm at 5 degrees ATDC). Full details are spelled out in the manuals.

Array
    Status
    los angeles
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by huff View Post
    I don't know if that is accurate. My guess is that a glowplug should be designed to handle the conditions of being inside an engine, so I would lean towards thinking it was electrical, just like everybody else here. But if you do want to adjust the timing, there should be some explanations if you search on this site... The proper tools include a dial (or digital) indicator, and an adapter to hold the indicator to the back of the pump. Then you loosen the pump and set the timing marks and twist the pump until the settings are correct (indicator is 1mm at 5 degrees ATDC). Full details are spelled out in the manuals.
    Just a note that I recently put in a 4d56, and the manual suggests a different spec for the timing...
    On 4d56 engines with an "A" or "B" stamped into the front driver's side corner of the head, the timing is set to 1mm @ 7 degrees ATDC.

On engines with a "C" or "D", the setting is 1mm @ 9 degrees ATDC.

For 4d55 engines, it is 1mm @ 5 degrees.