Array
    Status
    delavan wi
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T

my turbo mini truck. 4g63t build thread

so I figured that I should create a build thread, since I have been building this thing. I bought it with my re-enlistment bonus that I got earlier this year. I was so excited. I have been driving and building my 89 Nissan 240sx for the past couple years and I wanted a parts hauler. I was searching craigslist in this area and found this gem of a truck. 89 mighty max that has been swapped with a 4g63t. I brought it home and drove it for 2 months before the 4th rod decided it was a good idea to break in half and poke holes in both sides of the block. Since then she has been stored in my garage. waiting to get the pieces together to get her back on the road.
    pics of her the day I brought her home.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    That engine is a beauty, nice work. The buikd threads are great..I just put on mine everything I do to the truck now. Never know when ya need to look back for that info you might need. It also gives other great knowledge of the steps and procedures others took in their builds.

Array
    Status
    delavan wi
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    yeah build threads are great. I have one for my 240 on the wi240sx forum. those are pics of the motor before it threw the rod. here are some photos of the block with the rod poking out one side and another hole on the other side too.

this is the first hole I noticed (turbo side of the block)
    CAM00282.jpg

then after I started tearing the motor apart to get it out of the truck, I pulled the starter off and found this hole behind it
    CAM00280.jpgCAM00281.jpg
    sorry that these photos are so small

what surprised me was this is what it looked like underneath the valve cover when i took it off

it is the cleanest head I have ever seen on a used motor.
    after I discovered that the head looked like it was salvageable and could be used for the next engine build. I took my time trying to find a good candidate for a bottom end to use for the next drop in. this is how I ended up with two blocks. My friend managed to pick up two spider eclipses that were converted to gst's. both were 2nd gen with 7 bolt blocks in the cars. one of which was seized. he donated the seized block for my cause. which I ended up using as an over sized paper weight. it is still sitting on the floor of the garage.
    CAM00307[1].jpg
    while I was trying to figure out how to drop a 1g head onto a 2g block I was looking for parts on my 240 forum and came across a guy that was parting out a 90 gsx and was willing to sell me to block and rotating assembly for 200. I decide it was a good idea to head down there and take a look at it. long story short I bought the block and a bunch of other random parts for both me and my buddy for 140. even picked up a shaved valve cover for the motor. As it sits right now I am about 90% ready to drop it into the truck and give it a try and see how it runs.

Array
    Status
    delavan wi
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    if you take a look at how everything is setup in the pics of the motor when it was running you can see how much of an idiot the previous owner was. see if you can spot what I am talking about. never mind those pictures don't show that the intercooler was doing absolutely nothing. but i did get a big box of random goodies when i bought the truck. It came with an ebay intercooler that if you look at the core support for an 89 mm has two holes on either side that line up almost perfect with the ends of the intercooler. all i need to do is open the wholes up just a little more. I also wound up finding a gm maf translator so once i know it runs i am going to set up a blow by maf, so i can get the sweet choo choo sounds. lol

Array
    Status
    delavan wi
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    So I went out the the garage for a couple hours tinkering on the engine and truck. here are some pics of the progress for the motor.
    CAM00362.jpgCAM00363.jpgCAM00364.jpgCAM00365.jpgCAM00366.jpgCAM00368.jpgCAM00371.jpgCAM00372.jpg
    its getting close to getting put back into the truck. I did not paint any of the covers. that is the way that i bought them. I found the lower timing cover for a steal so i don't care about the crappy paint job. though it is starting to grow on me. maybe this weekend I will manage to get it back into the truck and start setting it back up to start her up. I am getting motivated for this again.

Array
    Status
    delavan wi
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    I went out the garage to take a look at the truck and decided that since Royster was being so nice I should take some pics of the interior which is not in the best of shapCAM00379.jpgCAM00380.jpgCAM00381.jpgCAM00382.jpgCAM00383.jpgCAM00384.jpgCAM00385.jpgCAM00386.jpgCAM00387.jpgCAM00388.jpgCAM00389.jpgCAM00390.jpgCAM00391.jpgCAM00394.jpg

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    You have the "full instrumentation" cluster. I've never actually seen one before.

By the photos I can easily tell what you need and will be happy to send that along. The heater control panel is in good shape on my parts truck, and since there wasn't a radio in it, it will be easy to pull out. I can pull the heater controls and cables, though it doesn't have a/c. The duct work should collapse down.

I would love to have bucket seats in mine. Maybe a Spring yard sale will bring them to me. Bucket seats would give me the perfect excuse to make a bitchen' console.

Do you need the plate (cover) for the area just above the hand brake? Let me know. Also, do you want to go back to a stock steering wheel? I can't give it to you now, but some time in the future, maybe. It ISN'T in great shape.

Array
    Status
    delavan wi
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    I will take the plat and controls If you are offering. I have a grant steering wheel that I am going to use. I just need to get the right adapter. I am going to trying and build a console for it too. I plan on putting the stereo in the console.

Array
    Status
    delavan wi
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    I have been working on the truck Quite a bit. I got the motor in place. I got the parts from Roy and started to install them. Roy I will be getting you that gift card on Monday. I wish that it would warm up so I can get it done and running. I will post up pictures later.

Array
    Status
    delavan wi
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    So I installed the vent ducts into the dash. Im going to have to paint the dash and fix it.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    delavan wi
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    CAM00405.jpg
    CAM00402.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]7743CAM00406.jpg5[/ATTACH]

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by thefreack View Post
    I got the parts from Roy and started to install them. Roy I will be getting you that gift card on Monday. I wish that it would warm up so I can get it done and running. I will post up pictures later.
    Hope that's going well, Josh. Noahwins cleverly found a way to e-mail the gift card to me. As an alternative to cash or other currency, it will work great: I get stuff at Lowe's all the time.

I'll get some pictures of the parts truck with the dashboard off: it wasn't too difficult to get out, but I sure hope to never have to put one back in.

This cold winter weather IS sort of a cruelty, when we want to work on our pet projects. That's a nice lookin' truck, Josh, and I hope it all comes out good. Hope you figured out all the duct work (it took some engineering to pack it) and get it all installed in short order.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B

Array
    Status
    delavan wi
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    I finished the install on the duct last night. I think that I am going to get some black vinal paint and clean up the dash. I want a different color. And Lowe's will mail it to you free.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    I got some interior paint at O'rielly's that was the best paint I ever used on interior stuff. I painted an Ashtray cover black 2 years ago and I use the space a lot, also while driving my hand sits on the lid too. There is no wear at all, I paint the entire dash after that and it looks like it came that way.
    Painted the sun visors and inside roof panel. Just great paint!

Array
    Status
    delavan wi
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Thats what i was thinking of doing.

Array
    Status
    delavan wi
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    so I have been working on it little by little. I painted the dash with a $5 can of plastic spray paint from walmart. here are the pictures of the dash after it dried.
    CAM00424.jpgCAM00427.jpg
    I like the color and look that it came out as. I gave the doors and glove box their first coats. you can see the difference if you look at the other pics I posted earlier you can see the difference in the way it looks. If you like the black gloss vinyl look of newer car vehicles then I would recommend that you do this to yours.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Wow, looks good! But you GOTTA..I mean GOTTA take those vents out and clean 'em good...they stick out like...I dunnoh...something that sticks out. Hit 'em with some ArmorAll or mineral oil. These pics sure inspire me to do the same...it's a nice look...but I got other stuff to do, first.

I tried a variety of plastic paints, including plastic primers, and haven't found one yet that doesn't scratch off, on the arm rests. Maybe BradMPH can offer up the name of that O'Reily paint he posted about.

That's gonna be one sweet little truck, freack~dude.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Its all about the prep - use TSP soap like you use on walls after removing wallpaper to get all remnants of armorall or other vinyl dressings off the plastic parts, then use adhesion promoter from clean strip
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    delavan wi
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    I had the vents covered and I was more worried about the dash. I will clean those up later. I cleaned everything off before the paint went on. It started out as a test for the paint. Then I liked the look so much I just kept going. Till the can ran out. Thinking of spraying the entire interior with it.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I think you're on to something: it's a really good look.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Looks good, and those vinyl/interior paints do work really, really well. I painted a kick panel on my first truck with some and it never scratched off or even looked like I had painted it.

Array
    Status
    delavan wi
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    I figured out something yesturday for my wiring. The previous owner of this vehicle must have been mentaly challenged. This is the first 4g63t that I have messed with. The owner had changed from the stock coils to a coil on the plug setup. Which is great. When he did this he left the stock coils in place bolted to the intake. This is how he was mentaly handycapped. He did not know why he did not get his tach to work. The reason was these have a tach translater box sits on the same bracket as the oem coils. It is because there is two lead wires one for each of the two coils. Any way he had that still wired to the oem tach that was connected to nothing but the tach wire. And the coil on plug set up wired into the harness. Meaning the tach wire was doing absolutly nothing because it was hooked up to the oem coils that were hooked up to nothing.

Array
    Status
    delavan wi
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Well this is a little update on my headache of a truck. I thought I had her all fixedup tried to crank it over and no love. I then pulled the plugs and did a compression test. Turns out the second cylinder had 0 compression. So long story short I am putting my backup head together and then trying again. I hope I have better luck this next time.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Dang that sucks, I hate when stuf like that happens. Hope it works out for you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast