Array
    Status
    Southern California
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

83 Ram 50 Named Chuck

Hi I'm Luke. I'm a BMW Guy at heart but have always wanted a truck too. After I sold my last BMW (2nd e34 V8 5 Speed, 3rd Bmw) I picked up Chuck. He's a 1983 Dodge Ram 50 Custom 2wd 2.6L Engine with sport seats and I picked him up for $850. As of right now its my only vehicle (DD) and my fun off-road truck! Plans are to redo the whole interior in black, reupholster the seats, replace the rubber floor mat with black carpet, paint inside of cab black, replace cracked dash, install new radio and 2 12" subs. I can't decide if I want to lift & 4x4 or lower and make drift truck. Well here is a picture of him and I'll update the next time I do something cool to him. =)

Chuck the Truck!.jpg

Array
    Status
    College Place, WA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Lower & Drift

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    if you want to drift get a beat to hell BMW or some RB, Sr20, Ka40de crap can. That truck looks like it's in nice shape,just drop it a few inch's and drive the wheels off it as a daily/ cruiser.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Here, have your cake and eat it too!

Array
    Status
    Southern California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    Here, have your cake and eat it too!

Lol I've seen that. I don't like it lol. I've already taken chuck off-road alot an he does great! If I lower him
    I wont be able to go off-road =( And the body has alot of rust he lived in San Deigo for a long time so the salt really rusted him =( Even the dash is rusty. I'm not sure what the plans are but as of right now hes my DD. Although everytime I come to a stop he idles fine but when I give him gas to go he dies. What's up with that??

Array
    Status
    College Place, WA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Check your timing. Should be about 10 DBTDC. And do a low idle tune. Theres a thread for tuning webers on here. If you have the stock mikuni look for any air leaks on the intake side.

Array
    Status
    Southern California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by strong79 View Post
    Check your timing. Should be about 10 DBTDC. And do a low idle tune. Theres a thread for tuning webers on here. If you have the stock mikuni look for any air leaks on the intake side.
    I've never worked on a carbureted engine before so this will be a learning curve.

Array
    Status
    Southern California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Installed a cool horn =)

Array
    Status
    Southern California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Installed a cool horn =)

Array
    Status
    Southern California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    So I'm having a problem. The truck is currently straight piped. Over the last 2 days my oil light has been going off and on while driving. Today he had a hard time accelerating on the freeway so I checked the oil when I got to work and there was no oil registering on the dipstick. No smoke has ever come out of the exhaust and the engine doesn't leak visibly onto the ground. Is my engine burning oil? If it is what do I need to do?! I don't have any money to throw at him right now and he's the only vehicle I have.

Array
    Status
    College Place, WA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Maybe just add oil and keep a close eye on the level while u save some $

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V6
    Hi Luke, if chuck were burning that much oil I would think you"d see it. But burning 1 qt. every 1 thousand mile isn't uncommon on a old engine.
    Another spot to look at for oil leaks is behind the valve cover.

Array
    Status
    Southern California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickdees View Post
    Hi Luke, if chuck were burning that much oil I would think you"d see it. But burning 1 qt. every 1 thousand mile isn't uncommon on a old engine.
    Another spot to look at for oil leaks is behind the valve cover.
    I've put about 1500 miles on the truck since I bought him and he was empty after a week of driving him. I'm thinking that he's leaking oil out of the oil pan it doesn't look sealed all the way around.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    oil leaks from the back of the valve cover will run down the back of the motor and look like a oil pan leaking - clean off the motor and then see what gets oily
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Check that half moon rubber piece on back of cover. They get dried out. Plugs would be all oily if burning so much. Just hope the radiator isn't drinking the oil... Stuffed up PCV valve can pressurize and force oil out places.

Array
    Status
    Southern California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Check that half moon rubber piece on back of cover. They get dried out. Plugs would be all oily if burning so much. Just hope the radiator isn't drinking the oil... Stuffed up PCV valve can pressurize and force oil out places.
    So NO leaking oil and I've checked the oil every day since and the level hasn't changed. No oil in the radiator and its not burning oil either. So weird.

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    maybe it was not started for a long time prior to your purchase & the rings needed to "re-seat" themselves

Array
    Status
    Southern California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by ragragtimetime View Post
    maybe it was not started for a long time prior to your purchase & the rings needed to "re-seat" themselves
    He sat for about 8 months before I bought him. I don't know but I'm not having problems now.

Array
    Status
    Southern California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    So on Wednesday Chuck caught on fire. It was an electrical fire and ruined the whole wiring harness and dash. Everything still worked after other than the turn signals and dome light. I've been looking for a new harness since Tuesday and today I came across a 1983 Mighty Max Auto (just like my truck) 4x4!!!!!! complete not running. So I'm picking it up tomorrow for $250!!!!!! Plans are to take the engine out of chuck and put into new truck! =D Here are pictures of new truck. I'm sad chuck will be a donor but I can't wait for 4x4!
    01212_fXYvbUoLeL3_600x450.jpg
    00y0y_j5e46PRAfBO_600x450.jpg
    00101_4Le98vX1Sok_600x450.jpg

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    wow, that needs to be powerwashed inside and out. The body looks ok though. I'm sure that's 2.0L, your profile needs to be changed to reflect this. Confusing to see 4G15. Its a 4G63 2.0L. Make sure the prior owners tell you everything wrong with the truck to give you a head start.
    Gawd Chuck was a great looking truck too, Put the running gear and all on him instead, lol.

Array
    Status
    Southern California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    wow, that needs to be powerwashed inside and out. The body looks ok though. I'm sure that's 2.0L, your profile needs to be changed to reflect this. Confusing to see 4G15. Its a 4G63 2.0L. Make sure the prior owners tell you everything wrong with the truck to give you a head start.
    Gawd Chuck was a great looking truck too, Put the running gear and all on him instead, lol.
    There both the same color =) and Chuck has rust in alot of places. I keep finding more and more as I take him apart. I Plan on keeping chuck too I'm not sure what I'm doing with him yet but I won't scrap him.

Array
    Status
    Southern California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Not sure how to edit posts. If this new truck requires a lot of engine work then I plan on swapping the engines. Also swapping the brand new shock off of chuck onto this truck along with the 4 headlights. I hope the 4WD works if it does it'll be awesome!

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    shocks are different 2wd to 4wd. You also need to swap the metal plates the headlights bolt to to make the swap - the 83 MMM grille is more rare and worth keeping. The motor will fit regardless of if it is a 2.0 or 2.6 - both automatic blocks are the same narrow bolt pattern - you may have to swap torque convertors to match the 4wd tranny.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Southern California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Okay I want to keep the grill nice so I'll store the rare one away =) and I'm just swapping engines the trans in chuck doesn't have the last gear it won't accelerate past 65/70 =( so hopefully the transmission in the new truck works fine.

Array
    Status
    Southern California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Got the new truck home tonight! It hasn't been registered since 2001 but its on non op so no back fees! He said it drove to where they parked it and it hasn't moved since. Tomorrow I'm going to wash it and try and kill as many spiders as I can. Here's a pic of it on the trailer bringing it home!

IMG_20150215_190119.jpg

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast