Thread: What does the secondary dashpot line actually connect to?

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

What does the secondary dashpot line actually connect to?

I just picked up a '88 Ram50 SE Sport with a 2.6 for free cuz the fuel pump was out. I got it running today but when I had the air cleaner assembly out I noticed the dashpot line wasn't connected to anything. It runs ok but I've seen pics of others with it connected. Where does the other end of the line connect to exactly? The manual diagrams don't show anything helpful. I'm guessing it should have a little more power with it hooked up too. Thoughts?

This is what it looks like:
    ram.jpg

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    The dash pot is what supposed to open up the secondary throttle on it i think,look around down below for a plugged off vacuum line that has probably had a screw put in it over time, if it has temperature switch on the intake that has been plugged off, if its the one for the choke it may go right below the carb on the bottom part of it,good luck with it.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    The one you are looking at is for the AC Idle kick up. So if you don't have AC then there is no line. We will soon have a good PDF file of what goes where soon. Once I we Izekeepitcleen's truck back together. If you have AC then it will connect to an electric solenoid valve on the firewall / left fender area.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    The dash pot is what supposed to open up the secondary throttle on it i think,look around down below for a plugged off vacuum line that has probably had a screw put in it over time, if it has temperature switch on the intake that has been plugged off, if its the one for the choke it may go right below the carb on the bottom part of it,good luck with it.
    I seached high and low for something out of place with no luck. The only thing I see anywhere is a T in a vacuum line by the left fender with a rubber cap on it. The PO said it was always like that. The line to the intake temp switch is intact too. I'll give it another look, maybe I missed something

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    The one you are looking at is for the AC Idle kick up. So if you don't have AC then there is no line. We will soon have a good PDF file of what goes where soon. Once I we Izekeepitcleen's truck back together. If you have AC then it will connect to an electric solenoid valve on the firewall / left fender area.
    Hmm, yeah I don't have AC. So it just vents to atmospheric pressure or just doesn't do anything then?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    It's on all the carbs. They only hook it up if you have the option. So don't loose any sleep over that one.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    It's on all the carbs. They only hook it up if you have the option. So don't loose any sleep over that one.
    I know the PO drove it for years like that. I guess I was misinformed on it's purpose. Hey, at least it runs good, drives strait, and best of all was free. Looks pretty good too, can't really complain...

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    So does that line have to be capped off or can it be open like that? I finally took it out for a long drive and it's running pig-rich. It trailer-hitches when you try to maintain speed and bogs out entirely under heavy throttle. You can see the dark smoke and smell it too. Just wondering if this has any relation to it or not and what else it could be...

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    No that would be an o2 sensor, fuel filter, bad cat, Vacuum lines not hooked up to the correct place. Or the choke not working corectly.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I've already got a new fuel filter to put in, still have to set base idle and timing. Didn't know these had o2 sensors, going to get a new one soon. I was thinking of getting hotter plugs too, any suggestions (part numbers)?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    It's a feed back carb. You can tell from the boat load of wires running into the float bole to adjust the main jet as it's driving. I don't think the hotter plugs will help since it's all stock. The way plugs determine how hot they run is by how deep the insulator is from the ground tip. A cold plug has a thick insulator. While a hotter plug has a noticeably longer insulator inside.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    meridian, id
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type
    I didn't know about the o2 sensor either. I have the same truck, no ac, and it just has a rubber cap on the dashpot. I played around with my idle and dashpot adjustment screws today. I can't seem to understand what the manual is telling me to do for the dashpot adjustment. But it seems as though through trial and error my dashpot screw adjustment affects the my idle on deceleration and has even improved my hot start issue. Didn't like to start hot before, but is restarting fine now. We'll see if it maintains over time.