Thread: Does/Should my engine have a solenoid valve air filter?

Array
    Status
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50

Does/Should my engine have a solenoid valve air filter?

Just got my truck yesterday, it's an '87 Dodge Power Ram 50, 2.6L. I read in the repair manual that if the solenoid valve air filter is not replaced at regular intervals, it can cause rough idling. I'm experiencing something like that now and when I went to locate it, I couldn't seem to find it.

The book says it should be in models from 85 through 89, should mine have one? The EGR valve was taken out by a previous owner, don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Zac

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    They are refering to the air jet valve. See this post. We get into it. http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ort-identifier
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    I was just reading through that thread earlier, actually.. before it got too complicated for me to understand. I've never worked on a carb before and was just looking to replace the filter if possible. Thanks.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    I think they are talking about the sponge white stuff that is on the inside of the air cleaner housing. AKA breather filter. The air jet valves get there air from inside the cleaner area.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Is it the black vacuum hose going to the metal square box above the drivers side fender? Not sure but I think the box might be called the solenoid. The picture in the manual shows the altitude compensator being removed first, I don't have one of these but now I'm stumped where the dang thing is. Doesn't really explain it to well in the book, but most these are made for if you already have a general understanding of engines.

Array
    Status
    Bridgeville, DE
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    autozone has become good for something finally, I've been using their website for general how to part changes. They have vehicle specific information, sometimes with pictures and diagrams. you do have to create a free account, but so far for me they've been fairly accurate. I can't find a "solenoid air valve" but this is the emission control section for the 88 power ram. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...00c15280088d47

Array
    Status
    Bridgeville, DE
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by mozzles View Post
    Is it the black vacuum hose going to the metal square box above the drivers side fender?
    It looks like it is inside the metal box from the manual, I just looked on my 88 at lunchtime, and it has a lot of vacuum lines coming out the back end of the box, and the one going in the side. I assume that when you pull the cover off of the box that it should be evident what the manual is referring to. However, I'm not finding a replacement part for it online either.

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    There is a secondary air cleaner filter, looks like it's under the main?