Thread: Broke my diesel habit and got a 84 2.0 with 31,000 original miles garage kept

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T

Broke my diesel habit and got a 84 2.0 with 31,000 original miles garage kept

So I bought this truck today for $2500.00 Wow the paint is still shining. Has some light scratches from car doors hitting it in the garage and a dent on the corner of the roof. Oh well. No cracks in the dash and beautiful seat panels etc. Weatherstrips still soft even. 2 questions for you Gasser folks..... This truck is a bare bones strip model so no tach, no power steering .

Without busting out a wiring diagram has anybody swapped out the clusters without doing a hillbilly conversion to the harness to make it work?

What steps are involved to replace the 4speed trans with a 5speed even though the 4spd runs great. Shifts like new literally and is very quiet.

Gets 30mph!

I'll post pics tomorrow

Mike

Array
    Status
    dawsonville/ga
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    why not just leave it original and just add an aftermarket tach?

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    you just need to add a tach wire,then put in a cluster with tach.The first gen's that didn't have a tach used a different wiring harness and didn't have the wire but everything else is there. If you look on the back of the cluster you will see on the round plug an empty space for a wire and on the board there is a pin missing, that's where the wire goes for a cluster with a tach.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    To swap out the 4 spd for a 5 spd you need one from an 83 - 86 2.0 truck as they are narrow block trannys. You also will need the front half of the driveshaft as the tranny lengths are different, and the tranny cross member. May also need to swap speedo gear to match the speedo in your truck.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    To swap out the 4 spd for a 5 spd you need one from an 83 - 86 2.0 truck as they are narrow block trannys. You also will need the front half of the driveshaft as the tranny lengths are different, and the tranny cross member. May also need to swap speedo gear to match the speedo in your truck.
    Robert,

According to my parts book the drive shafts and crossmember are the same. Since the 2 drive shafts are supported by a bearing and have a slip spline it appears the difference is made up there. Has anybody else done this? I found a new NOS 5speed km132 (fits 87 and up) for $1200 shipped which I will buy. What is the way to quickly identify a narrow block from a wide >? Is it the bottom of the casting that flares out ? Mine looks like a wide block . I am only super educated on the 4d55's. Good thinking on the speedo gear.

Mike

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    yes it is the spacing on the lower tranny bolt holes - 12.5 is a narrow block, 13.25 is the wide block measured center to center of the holes. I was under the impression that the 2 trannies were different lengths because of different amount of gears - good to know they are the same. Actually, the 4 spd ia the rarer of the trannies for the 2.0 motors, as most of the 2.0s after 82 came with 5 speeds, except for the total base truck.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980