Array
    Status
    Denver CO
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64

How to time using a timing light

I have an 86 auto with the 2.6L and a timing chain. A long time ago I replaced the head gasket and I dont think we ever got the timing just right. It has good power at speed but has always idled like crap.
    So how do you time the motor without pulling off the valve cover to find the timing mark on the chain? On my VW you just pull a plug on the transmission and time it from marks on the fly wheel and a timing gun.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    there is a notch on the harmonic balancer for TDC that lines up with the marks on the timing chain cover. Time it for 7 to 10 degrees btdc
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Atlanta GA
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    You will really help yourself a lot by using some white-out or a white paint pen to mark the notch on the harmonic balancer, and then also the marks on the timing cover. If you don't do this, you will really have a hard time seeing the marks.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    You must pull the valve cover to check cam timing to crank. There is no other way.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    he's just timing the truck, not degreeing the cam. unless the distro was pulled, he doesn't need to pull the valve cover to adjust the timing.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Take the valve cover off and turn the crank to TDC - then see where the cam dowel and alignment marks are pointing. I doubt you have a valve timing issue as it starts easily (by the sounds of it). Getting ignition timing just right can be a tricky business. You can try something a little less conventional - loosen the distributor retaining nut, start the engine and get someone to hold the throttle at mid rpms (2-2,500) and adjust the distributor until the engine has a jump in rpm. Don't go nuts on adjusting it, gently twist it back and forth until it feels like you have hit a sweet spot in response. Lock it up and take it for a drive - take note of how it runs under throttle and load. Good luck

Array
    Status
    Denver CO
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Geezer thanks for the help!
    It is a finiky beast. Some days it starts first crank other days you would think there was no gas in the truck. It also likes to diesel a lot. There is a slight chance that the valve timing is off, but I will try the easiest fix first!
    Thanks for the help everyone!

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Are you getting full 12v during starts> a 2 wire starter installed onto a 3 wire starter system will do that same stuff

Array
    Status
    Denver CO
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    Are you getting full 12v during starts> a 2 wire starter installed onto a 3 wire starter system will do that same stuff
    I am not sure. It is probably the original starter, usually starts fine for me unless it is really hot. Mostly fights other people. I guess I just have the right touch!

Array
    Status
    Denver CO
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    oh also I was re-timing that and it seems pretty good, I will test it out tomorrow and see if the idle has gotten any better.
    Truck diesels pretty bad when it is hot (runs after you turn off the motor / happens when timing is off and there is carbon built up in the motor).
    A puff of smoke came up from the carb when it shuttered as it turned off. Thinking this may be the valves miss timed. I just might have to pull off that cover and get gritty.