Array
    Status
    Seattle,WA
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55

Engine identification

Well, I am new to Mitsubishi diesels as I just purchased a '91 Isuzu pickup that I am reasonably sure has been swapped to a Mitsubishi turbo diesel. I am thinking so, as the oil filter is the monster MD069783. Other than that, I have not spotted any engine id. numbers. Can anyone tell me where they are located? Also, there are some intercooler stuff done fairly badly. Anyone have pictures of non-modified, non-intercooled and intercooled engines for me to compare. Thaks!

Array
    Status
    Seattle,WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55
    uh, that was supposed to be : thanks!

Array
    Status
    los angeles
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    From the perspective of someone sitting in the drivers seat, it should be stamped on the left side of the block, on a flat section towards the rear, near the top of the block, just under the cylinder head.

Or, you might see if you can post pictures of your engine.

PS: I did a search and found this image: http://s93.photobucket.com/user/bell...20179.jpg.html
    You can see this one is stamped 4D56

Array
    Status
    Seattle,WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55
    Quote Originally Posted by huff View Post
    From the perspective of someone sitting in the drivers seat, it should be stamped on the left side of the block, on a flat section towards the rear, near the top of the block, just under the cylinder head.

Or, you might see if you can post pictures of your engine.

PS: I did a search and found this image: http://s93.photobucket.com/user/bell...20179.jpg.html
    You can see this one is stamped 4D56

Thanks, I will look tomorrow!

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    If you post a picture of the engine we will know right away if it's a mitsubishi diesel lol
    On another note, oil filter being mitsubishi doesn't mean it's a mitsubishi motor, might just be a easier to get filter for the motor.
    Though i dont see a diesel option in 90-93. If you are in US

Array
    Status
    Seattle,WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55
    Thanks everyone who responded. I did find the engine stamp and it is indeed a 4D55, swapped into a '91 Isuzu pickup, formerly gas . It starts, runs and drives, but has little or no power, can barely pull itself up-hill at highway speed. I have checked the turbo, it turns and it has no end play. I'm wondering of the wastegate is stuck open and will try actuating it with 12 or 15 lbs of air pressure when I get a chance. I have a kit coming to check compression as well. Any other suggestions? It also blows completely cold from the heater and the needle hardly moves from cold, maybe doesn't at all. The fan clutch is frozen, so I have one coming, as well as a thermostat, haven't checked yet to see if it is missing. Hope one of those will give me some heat!

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    does it have a boost gauge?
    at stock boost, my d56 swapped starion struggled to hit 70mph on a flat, now on a bigger turbo on 30psi, it hits it, still not fast though

Array
    Status
    Seattle,WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55
    Just arrived today, will be hooking it up this weekend, after the other diagnostics!

Array
    Status
    Seattle,WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55
    Update....found the wastegate actuator was full of oil, apparently built up over the years from the blow-by vent. Cleaned it out, put on an elephant hose, added boost gauge, and have consistent turbo spool and boost now, gauge shows wastegate opens at 15+ lbs of boost. Is that normal for stock? Additional question, where is the identifying number for the cylinder head to be found? Thanks all!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I would say 12-15 psi gate actuation would be around a normal figure. If you can mess with the boost referencing on it you can get dial in more boost - 20 psi would get it hauling hard!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ^gud englitch lol