Thread: Front end leveling- Effect gas mileage?

Array
    Status
    Saskatchewan, Canada

Front end leveling- Effect gas mileage?

Will leveling out my front end making it a bit higher effect my fuel mileage much or nothing to worry about there?

Thanks

Array
    Status
    Morgantown, KY
    Vehicle

1980 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type
    Probably not enough that you'd notice it depending upon the type driving you do. If you're mostly in town, no.
    However, the less air that passes under the car (truck) the better. That's where an semi rigid air dam comes in handy, and side skirts can really help too.
    Again, the more high speed highway use, the more difference that type stuff makes.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Chevy V8
    just bag it and body drop....it will fix all those problems..and you can adjust to compensate for speed.:p:p:o

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Why would want to raise the truck to level it? Why not lower the back instead? Adding drop blocks and new u bolts are a little simpler then altering your steering goemetry.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Quote Originally Posted by 4doorciv View Post
    Why would want to raise the truck to level it? Why not lower the back instead? Adding drop blocks and new u bolts are a little simpler then altering your steering goemetry.
    great input..but i thought i had the best solution..:D

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Im pretty sure he has a 4x4

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    He can still level out his d50 by lowering the rear.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    either way its not gonna make a noticeable gain in mpg ...good or bad.-- Especially if its a 4x4 being the height

Array
    Status
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Yes as DroppedMitsu said its a 4x4 so I would rather raise the front to level it then lower the back... Maybe I will just leave it as is if it messes with the steering leveling out the front...

Thanks for the input!

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Just go ahead and level it then and add an inch or two on that...while your at it. Its not that much extra involved in a small lift...

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    We are driving 30 year old bricks. You are going to get shit millage with what ever you try to do. The technology is just old. Maybe we should look into taking something like a Toyota or some other Hi-bird and pulling the power train out of it and setting it up in our trucks. Hell the Chevy Tahoe Hi-bird only gets 19mpg. Oh and Consumer Reports just came out with ratings on the Volt. It will go 16 miles on a charge, not 40 hahahahahah and it will cost you in electricity like running your home AC system for 12 hours. sucks to be them.. I'll stick with the 18 I get and enjoy the body style.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    it couldnt have been said better..^^^^^^^

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    I was getting like $5 per day. Lol. Couldn't fill fast $15 cause of a fuel tank leak. There is a perfect circle drilled into the front of the tank I'm assuming. I think it was from the previous owner's neglect as I'm leaving it parked for a long time on the side of the road for long periods of time. Once thinks get settled, it'll get something more permanent then some jb weld, like a replacement. Didn't estimate mpg after my 4g63 swap with some newer technology like fuel injection. Lol

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Quote Originally Posted by l.k. View Post
    Just go ahead and level it then and add an inch or two on that...while your at it. Its not that much extra involved in a small lift...
    Can always lower the rear 2 inches and body lift front and rear to get the height back. Just a thought. I did see however some pictures of Toyota trucks with a body lift with rotting cabs that the weight of the cab causing a big buldge where the spacers were. Of course that's a posibility with or without the body lift depending of the condition of the cab.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Quote Originally Posted by 4doorciv View Post
    Can always lower the rear 2 inches and body lift front and rear to get the height back. Just a thought. I did see however some pictures of Toyota trucks with a body lift with rotting cabs that the weight of the cab causing a big buldge where the spacers were. Of course that's a posibility with or without the body lift depending of the condition of the cab.
    that would give him worse handling i would believe..besides with my experinces with body lifts! Well i must say that they are only for clearance in my book. And useless in this application especially..but it is possible. They are usually not worth all the work and gaps, body roll, top heaviness, etc..
    That is only my OPINION-noone take that negatively.

i did some reading up.. there is no reason or need to lower the rear. Just lift it with an offset lift..the front should only be about 2 inches lower then the rear.....

Whatever you do, do it safe.

Array
    Status
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    If it didnt mess up the steering I would have just leveled out the front adjusting the torsion bars like suggested on the old forum, but if it means having to screw with my steering or buy new steering parts ill just drive it as is!

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Quote Originally Posted by 89powerram View Post
    If it didnt mess up the steering I would have just leveled out the front adjusting the torsion bars like suggested on the old forum, but if it means having to screw with my steering or buy new steering parts ill just drive it as is!
    that will work too....

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    The body lift was just a thought. Never messed with doing one. Driving as is is not a problem at all.

Array
    Status
    Charleston, SC
    Does anyone have any information on where I could locate a lift kit? I'm trying to do an offset lift, 5" in front and 3" in back. I've been looking everywhere for kits and info but there just isn't a whole lot out there other than one body lift kit that you can buy. I was hoping to do a suspension lift and then put larger tires on the truck to add a little ride height and to allow me to put larger wheels and tires on.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    upper control arms fron a first gen montero will give a 1-2" suspension lift and is a bolt on. sway a way did make stronger torsion bars that can be cranked up to give a 3" lift - someone on here said they found some. If you crank the old stock ones up, they will sag quickly from age and abuse. I also saw a post about montero torsion bars being swapped but I am not sure if that works or which ones. Try 4x4.com for more info on suspension lifts.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Dang, all this information about lowering. I just installed the stock rear leafs on my 2wd 95 and the ride quality is SSSOOOOOOO much better. My back would ache on the old setup where the middle leaf was removed. But not my back end is 3" higher and I need to raise the front.

So the best thing I see is the UPPER control arms from a 92-96 montero. Not the sport model. Am I correct?

Yes, I use my truck as a truck. I love my truck also.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the ucas are for 4wd - 2wd ucas are different
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980