Thread: Max towing capacity frame, trans, brakes can handle? Built 4g64/4g63t 500hp swap.

Array
    Status
    Murray Utah
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63-T

Max towing capacity frame, trans, brakes can handle? Built 4g64/4g63t 500hp swap.

The truck we're using is an 88' Ram50 Long bed 4x4 with a built 4g64 bottom end, built 4g63 head, rebuilt trans, Southbend clutch & a Holset HE351 running E85 on 30psi that's currently being reassembled.
    We are building our shop Evo this month, I would love to tow it to the track with my truck. Do I need to reinforce the frame? What are my brake options? I would like to use the truck every time we need to haul a car, but I'm a bit apprehensive since we'll be using it for business use and I would hate for some sort of failure that damages a customer car or causes an accident.

Array
    Status
    Inland Empire, CA
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    As far as I can tell, stopping and keeping your trans intact will be your biggest challenge.

There is little to no aftermarket when it comes to brakes, it seems guys go custom or dual pot Mitsu brakes modded to fit.

And I have no clue how long your trans will last at that power level, these trucks came with sub-150hp. You are asking three times what its supposed to hold. I know some guys use the 2wd KM132 trans with their turbo swap, but problems "seems" to arise around the 300hp? LSRmike would be the guy to inquire about power limits on stock parts I believe.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Far.Side View Post
    And I have no clue how long your trans will last at that power level, these trucks came with sub-150hp. You are asking three times what its supposed to hold. I know some guys use the 2wd KM132 trans with their turbo swap, but problems "seems" to arise around the 300hp?
    This seems to be the magic number for most domestic-performance transmissions made by Mitsubishi. They will hold out til about 350 hp depending on how it's treated but after that they eat themselves.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    I know the v6 4x4 is rated for 3,500 lbs if your trailer has brakes. I would think brakes would be your biggest concern. I will be installing 2nd gen monteros soon.