Array
    Status
    203-CT
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

sloppy/broken clutch cable?

Hi all, '95 MM I just picked up. Clutch was grabbing close to the floor, so I went underhood and adjusted the cable accordingly. Drove awesome for a few days, and all of a sudden the pedal went to the floor while driving. clutch cable is loose and sloppy underhood.

the threaded end doesn't stay in the rubber bushing that goes through the firewall. I'm not sure if I broke something by pulling on the cable to adjust it, or if a retaining clip came apart, or if this is just a sign of a worn cable that needs to be replaced.

I have a new OEM cable on order from JNZtuning (DSM guy here), but the cable itself doesn't physically look broken.

am I missing something? thanks in advance!

Array
    Status
    203-CT
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    second thought- is there a return spring on the pedal that would keep the clutch in the "up" position? Maybe I caught something with my boot, but i don't see anything on the floor inside the truck that looks like it came off.

the cable doesn't want to stay "retained' in the rubber bushing through the firewall at the adjustment point. tons of slack, and it just falls back out of the sleeve.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I don't know the 95 MM, but your description says to me that there is a spring hooked to the inside of the dash that came loose from the top of the clutch peddle.

Array
    Status
    203-CT
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I checked and couldn't find one for the clutch pedal

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by AWDream View Post
    I checked and couldn't find one for the clutch pedal
    Then maybe the clutch is just worn out. Hopefully the guys with newer models will respond soon.
    I did some research and I couldn't find any diagrams. I did find a mention that the clutch fork breaks and give the same symptom of pedal hitting on the floor. I had to change mine once and it seems like the only thing it really needed was a new throw out bearing as the clutch was fine, I still put the new one in, but I couldn't get any clutch with the pedal either.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Throw out bearing is bad or the clutch cable arm where the cable hooks to the tranny to actuate the throw out bearing is broken.

Array
    Status
    203-CT
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by DroppedMitsu View Post
    Throw out bearing is bad or the clutch cable arm where the cable hooks to the tranny to actuate the throw out bearing is broken.
    hoping it's not the throw out bearing, i don't want to have to pull the trans. I'll get under it and take a look. is that a known issue with these trucks?

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Yes, a decent amount of people have had their clutch cable arm break, although weird thing is I have never had it happen even with a super stiff turbo eclipse pressure plate.

Array
    Status
    203-CT
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    i just went under the truck to check the release arm, still intact. i can move it freely, so that tells me i likely broke the TOB.

i intend on swapping the truck eventually, but i'm not ready to yet, so i'll grab a clutch kit off rock auto and pull the trans. might as well do the rear main while i'm there. any other things i should be looking at replacing? worth grabbing a new clutch release arm? i see OEM mitsu available on amazon of all places when googling the part number.

thanks for your help josh!

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Actually it could be the springs that tension the arm inside the bellhousing. you can see the whole operation here.

shaft w-Micro-small.jpg

Array
    Status
    203-CT
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    That's a definite possibility as well. Is it a known issue on these trucks? I'm going to buy a clutch kit, the clutch release arm, and if springs are available, I'll grab 2 because I'd like to minimize downtime once I pull the trans.

Array
    Status
    203-CT
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    i threw up a WTB ad also, but does anyone have a pair of those release arm return springs they'd be willing to part with? No longer available through the dealership.

Array
    Status
    203-CT
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    following up on this one- I pulled the transmission last night. Easier than expected.

Issue is that the spring clips (roll pins) that hold the throw out bearing release unit to the release shaft/fork broke.

I think I over-extended everything when I adjusted the clutch.

There was like no fluid in the transmission when I drained it. The clutch looked to have been replaced, but there were high and low spots on the disc and a lot of heat spots on the flywheel.

For anyone looking, I was able to source OEM replacement parts (I opted for an Exedy clutch)- but I was able to find the release arm, clutch cable, retaining pins, return springs, TOB clips, etc. still available.

I took the time to change the motor oil and rear diff oil at the same time. Flywheel goes out to be resurfaced today, and I should have it back in action tonight.

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Good Job, di you get a new Pilot bearing?

Array
    Status
    203-CT
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I did, came with the clutch kit. Knocked the old one out of the flywheel easily. I was thinking I was gonna have to use white bread, or soaked paper, or grease to knock the old one out, but it was affixed to the centerbore of the flywheel, not the rear main thankfully.

Array
    Status
    203-CT
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    and we're back in action. got it all finished up last night. drove it home, drove to work in it today, i missed this thing.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    And now you're back in the game - nice work!