This is still a work in progress but you can see it can be done.

I am not a pro just making due with what I have because I hate being overcharged.

Stock Air cleaner mod to Weber carb
I put the air cleaner over the spot where it goes and did my best to mark the correct orientation of the carb cutout and marked it inside with silver sharpie.
I ground cuts into the circular part that extends out the bottom. Slice it like a pie down to where it flares to level with the flat bottom. More cuts = easier bending.
Then I bent each piece down trying to straighten the lip. It occurs to me that if you have a good cutting wheel you could cut this lip off first. I had a general idea of what to cut off and did with tin snips and the grinder. I hammered the body of it as flat as I could with a 16oz ball peen on a 2X10 board. It is a process and even when you are done it won’t be flat.
Then I held it over the carb to make a better marking for the shaped cutout. I got close and set in top. It became clear I would need a spacer. I was going to get a piece of alum cut but it would have been as much as a new carb. I found some cork tile at Joann Fabrics and it will do the trick. spacer materiel.jpg bottom plate on the cork.jpg

At this point I am close I got the shaped hole cut open to allow the air cleaner body to set on its mounts and sit on the carb with two spacers. I probably need to use the other two spacers I have left. I will need to get longer bolts for mounting this securely to the carb. I am going to use JB Weld to plug those two holes in the pan and fix up my cut out. Then a short bolt to plug that threaded hole. When I get there if I can’t get the holes for the mounting bolts cut in the cleaner pan just right I will probably use the Weber air cleaner bottom mount plate to secure the air cleaner by sandwiching it. Might use it anyway. not perfect.jpg it fits.jpg

Turns out the accelerator cable mount is in the way. !!?? How can that be? I have it off in the pics.
It is mounted on the piece that I guess was OE on top of the valve cover with both cover bolts through it. It looks like I will have to get a new longer cable to push through the housing and mount the anchor point in a different hole on the valve cover.
Any ideas there would help.