Thread: Parts sites for random d50 things?

Hybrid View

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50

Parts sites for random d50 things?

Still doing some searching but I was wondering where some good websites are to find parts for our trucks. mine is an 89 to be specific.

I've been searching everywhere for a "lightbar?" for it. something like this..

along with a push bar that lights and or winch could be added to? I'm having a hard time finding stuff for this truck I'm more into euro cars.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    I also know of the 3" body lift

I was curious of what brand of drop shackles (and website) to get a true 2-3" of lift in the rear.

I also hear of using montero upper control arms to get about 1" of lift. can someone fill me in with the exact years that will fit my 89 4x4 and can you still crank the torsion bars? (and possibly add the aftermarket torsion bars)

I'm really wanting to get more ground clearance for the frame. I plan to do the body lift too but that doesn't help much with the frame dragging. also I just want to go with like a 33" tire max.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...y.php/10-Links sorry guys missed out this section.. duh.. I was in the archived site trying to use the links and it wont let you into it I missed that this site had that section. Still looking for the light bar/push bar

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Quote Originally Posted by b-dub View Post
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...y.php/10-Links sorry guys missed out this section.. duh.. I was in the archived site trying to use the links and it wont let you into it I missed that this site had that section. Still looking for the light bar/push bar
    If you were signed up with the old board just log into it and your golden.
    If you are looking for shackles look in the link section for the links to my build thread. There called rough stuff. You will need to figure out what will work. Just flat links is all you need.
    Last edited by camoit; 03-11-2012 at 04:49 PM.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    also are these the correct torsion bars people talk about getting to lift the frontend?

Dodge PU/Raider 4WD 1982-1989 26mm 50 1/2” 1726 $330.00

http://www.swayaway.com/torsionbars.php

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    I found a lightbar from gorhino for the mighty Max I'm assuming it will fit the ram 50 as well. Are there any other companies that have them.

Still looking for a front bumper/brush guard.

Anyone?? Also looking for a decent company to order the shackle drop from

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Nope. I'm a newbie here and never was a member of the old site.

so I'm assuming I just need to measure the exact length of mine (I think 4" but I'll check) and then buy the ones 2-3" longer

so say these should give me 2-3inch lift in the rear and I'll just have to buy like.. 8 of them? Will I need to get different shocks or should they be ok being stretched out that much.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/7SHK.html

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    On the shackles you will need to measure what you have. There is only 4. Thats on the rear of the spring. The front has bushings. Thats what keep the spring from moving forward or back. As for the front there are other parts that will come into play. Like the bump stops to start with. I don't know what bars would go in there. Call them they are easy to talk with. If you leave a message they will call you back. Just keep in mind the higher you try to go the more things that come into play. You are pretty much limited on what you can do by the front end. I would start there as it's the hardest. You should keep at least 1.500" of droop in the front end. This will give you a smoother ride. Once you get it to where you want it then the rear is easy. Just jack it up to where it sits level set it on stands and pull the tires. Measure what the hight of the lug studs are from the ground. mark it down. then lower the rear end tell the bolts come out of the shackle. Lower it down just the amount you measured. Measure the shackle centers and order the closest ones to what you need. This way you can take into account the weight of the truck and the spring pre load.

Theres just not a lot of options out there for the front end on these trucks.
    I don't know if you can re-index the bars you have by pulling them out and lowering down the A arm. If so then 1 tooth at a time......
    Oh and for shocks you will need to get longer ones for the rear, maybe. You will know when you try to lower it down after pulling the bolts. If it stops before you reach the desired measurement then yes.

Sawy-A Way makes great parts just be ready to weight for them to be built. It can take a long time, but there good parts.
    Last edited by camoit; 03-12-2012 at 08:34 PM.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50

Thumbs up

That's the most info I've been able to gather so far! Thanks.

I really just want the most suspension lift possible without having to start going custom do you think 3 inches is possible using sway away torsion and the montero upper control arms? If I 5.5 could get at least 2.5 suspension and the 3 body lift I'd be happy that should allow me to run 33"s I think.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    I remember reading some where on here that you can swap out the montero arms. Have you used the search? I'm 99% certain that someone did some kind of a thread with the answers you are looking for. To figure out how much lift you can get from the stock suspension just measure the hight if the front bumper then stick a jack under it and start jacking it up tell things stop moving. After that point you will be into changing parts to the montero.
    The main things you need to look at is the CV joints. The places that will interfere first at the extremes is the ball joints, CVs, tie rods. And you will want to remove the sway bar. The major holding point with the trucks is the width. Just over 4' wide is hard to get any travel with. I finally got my truck to run 33s but it has taken 2 years and a crap load of mods. But I do have 14" of travel on the front and 27" on the rear. But now the front is 1 1/2 foot wider then stock. Version 2 of the truck I'm shooting for 27" on the front and 34" on the rear.
    You might want to fire off a PM to the moderator wrangwy. He lifted his truck.
    Last edited by camoit; 03-13-2012 at 12:32 AM.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    yes I've been looking in the archives. not much info on this current version of the forum.

I just see mixed answers of if it's the 1st or 2nd gen. montero control arms

I'll do the jack method when I get a chance. the truck is currently dropped off at my mechanics having the engine gone through. I'm just trying to make sure I get all the info I need for when I get it back and get ready to start working on it myself.. working nights is starting to make it rough to complete projects around here as it is so having a game plan helps big time.

for some reason I was thinking a 33 would fit in there quite easily with a little lift and fender trimming up front. do you have a body lift or is your's all suspension. I plan to do a combo of both. I have 29" tires now I'm not sure what the stock was on the truck.

I emailed sway away and if I don't hear back soon I'll try to find time to call them I sleep almost all day everyday so emailing was my best bet at the time.

thanks for the additional info and I'll be PM'ing him to see if he can give me some input

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Also talk with powerram348. upper Montero arms are good for 2 inch.
    To check out my truck build thread just click HERE.
    Mine is a little over the top.
    Last edited by camoit; 03-13-2012 at 05:02 PM.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    I'm thinking it's second gen montero arms is what I need. so I'm thinking those with the sway away torsion bars will give me an easy 3" gain up front.. if that's the case I'll be happy.

to be honest I live in a rural area and my redneck side is coming out now that I've hit 21 and I want a cheap little mud truck that won't suck gas down like a lifted v8 does. I went to look at a little blazer but fell in love with the looks of this truck.. until now I never knew about them.. I thought it was an older dakota at first glance lol

your truck is awesome it's way over the top for sure

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    My gaol is to make available complete frames and bodes ready to be welded. Then you pick up the parts on the parts list put in an engine and trans to finish your truck. You could have a brand new truck ready to drive or race for under $40,000
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    if I had that kind of money that'd be an awesome toy I love the baja kits but out of my price range

can someone pleassssseeeeeee chime in about the light/roll bars in the first couple of pics? lol it's driving me crazy.. I can't find them or any bumpers I really want to mount a winch up front as well is there something off a s10 or something small that I could buy and have modded slightly to fit and not look out of place? I'd hate to buy a $400+ bumper mod it to fit and it look like something cheap and not even matching the truck.

what bugs me is you can see where they had previously had a bumper and light bar mounted on the truck.. just my luck that they would have been removed somewhere before.

also does mine look normal to you guys? as in not lifted in any way.. to be honest I've never seen/noticed a ram 50 before.. I thought it was a dakota like I said earlier in a post.

that's with

235/75r15

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Not sure how many guys watch sons.of.guns but will at red jacket has a nice 96 mighty Max I've contacted the company that made his front winch bumper but I think its a no go since there isn't much of a damand and they don't want to make another one off

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    yea they've shown it quite a few times on the show, nice pretty blue color

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Well im still out of luck finding any kind of winch mountable bumper so i guess ill buy a come along and some long straps until i can get a custom one made from somewhere

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Ya bumpers and light bars you need to drag out the welder. Try calling off road warehouse. 760-746-3193 talk to Wally. Tell him you are a member of the mightyram50.net board and have been fallowing my build in Sacramento. If it's out there he will find one.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    Not sure how close the Nissan's and Toyota's are but you can get those bumpers easy. Maybe find one and modify the mounts to fit your truck.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    I was curious about that myself of if a Toyota one would fit (with mod) and not look like crap

Array
    Status
    Payette, ID
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Actually, that is a later 80's second gen Toyota bumper with the plastic caps, I have a 1984 that has a solid chrome front bumper.

1988 Toyota Pickup

1984 Toyota Pickup (Mine)

Array
    Status
    Payette, ID
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Also the rollbar that is in my truck, we test fitted it in my Mighty Max/D50 when I still had it, and It fit just as well, I scored on this rollbar, it came with the lights and I paid $40.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    oh wow the front bumpers are almost identical mine is a ram bumper with metal end caps. it's crazy how similar our trucks and the toyotas actually are. looking at them I think any decent winch-bumper/pushbar modded to fit should look decent on the truck. and sweet now I know I can fit a light bar from a mid 80's taco with little issues. that's what I was hoping to hear