Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just picked up my first truck 1989 power ram 50

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50

Just picked up my first truck 1989 power ram 50

well I'm a vw guy have a jetta and a couple gti's (mk3 stuff) but I live in a very rural area and have wanted/needed a truck for a long time.

I went to look at a wrecked blazer and fell in love with this thing sitting a couple cars down rotting away...

1989 "dodge" ram 50 4x4 2.6l 5-speed.

it runs but has major engine knock due to the oil pump going out. so now I'm researching trying to figure out my best way to go about getting it back on the road.

I've been unable to locate them anywhere and when calling salvage yards asking for a ram 50 engine I've literally been laughed at and told "goodluck"

what are the guidelines of an engine from another vehicle that I can use. Upon reading I hear a lot about narrow/wide and something about it can't be from an auto car? .... I'm not sure if I really want to admit what I paid for it... but if someone wants to mention what they think would be a good price I'll confess...

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Nice looking truck, it that spar parts I see in the back?
    If she has a knock rip it out of there and find the problem. Or look in the for sale area for another 2.6L They should be a dime a dozen at the wreaking yards. What state are you in? The 2.6L is the most common engine for these trucks. You can find them in Dodge Aries K cars, Cairavan Mini Vans, and forklifts.
    You can also find parts trucks at tow company yards for cheep when they come up for sale.
    Last edited by camoit; 03-04-2012 at 08:06 PM.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Thanks, and no the parts in the back were scrap that the guy had sitting it in.

how do I know what fits my truck? I hear about narrow/wide and also heard that I had to get an engine that came from a 5-speed vehicle. I'm in southeast missouri.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    just look in the Wiki area. There is history and information on how to determine what a narrow block or wide block is. Lots of good information in the Wiki and some areas that are under construction. It's a good starting place. A 2.6 is a wide block. nearly all engines are wide block. Only the early 2.0 and some others are narrow. I think it's listed in the Wiki history.

Oh ya I forgot.. We also have an on-line radio station you can check out. Just look at the top of the page for MMD5 radio in the menu bar.
    Last edited by camoit; 03-04-2012 at 09:20 PM.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Dead oil pump + knock means you probably need to rebuild the lower end, at least. All things being equal, probably faster, cheaper, and easier to pull the pack and get it into a good shop or do the work yerself.

Welcome to the D50/MM club, and the site!

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    would this work if it was a wideblock? I thought the only differences through the years was the head? http://www.ebay.com/itm/280832050755...#ht_2182wt_876

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    yeah I figured rebuilding it would be smarter than buying a used engine to throw in it. but mainly because I've not found an engine for under 1000 because I can't find anything local.

I don't have the tools/area to work on it so I'm having a trusted shop do it so once they check it out and see how bad it is I'll go from there.

it'd be cool to drop in a turbo engine but wouldn't I be looking at well over 3k to do that.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    You can turbo a 2.6, but I'd worry about getting the block and top end fit as a fiddle first. You'd need go with Starion/Conquest intake and injection plus all the wiring, sensors, and ECU. The turbo itself would be upwards of $1k as from what I've gleaned, the original turbos were crap.

There was some discussion on the topic here (and will probably prove me wrong on multiple points):
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...s-the-question

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Quote Originally Posted by b-dub View Post
    would this work if it was a wideblock? I thought the only differences through the years was the head? http://www.ebay.com/itm/280832050755...#ht_2182wt_876
    That looks like a diesel block or something. I don't think it's gas.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    The only thing thats going to bolt straight up and plug right in is another 2.6(g54b). Doesnt matter if its from manual or auto as all 2.6 are wideblock from like 80-on. A 2.4(4g64)from will bolt to your tranny but you will also need the entire wiring harness,ecu,etc aa you'd be switching to fuel injection.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    then why is this automatic only? I've also heard of this somewhere else

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-REMAN-CH...ht_1593wt_1109 if this would work I'd just get it and be done with it...

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    There saying 12.25" on the block thats incorrect. 12.50" would be a 2.0L Narrow block. 13.25" is a wide block. I would call them and get them to physically measure it. I don't see any jet valves. If you look in the Wiki under engine type and markings you will find more info on years and blocks.
    Call them 1-800-998-2100
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    I dont know whats up with that ad but make sure you get a wideblock, which is 13.25" lower bellhousing bolt tobolt. My truck came with a 2.6 with auto and i can assure you it was a wideblock 13.25" wide, same as the manual trannys. Doesnt make much sense to have a completely different block just for auto and standard tranny.

EDIT: And most of that wide/narrow block stuff you are reading about is people talking about the 2.0 g63b

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    not entirely true - 79 - 86 2.6 auto blocks are narrow blocks, 5 speeds are wide blocks. 87 up 2.6 are all wide blocks auto or manual
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    thanks for clearing that up for me. Now I get why some people were saying the auto and manual blocks were different but it's just a year based thing for narrow/wide. So I indeed have a wide block thank you.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    When in doubt whip the tape out.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Just purchased an engine from a yard in nashville from an 88 4x4 they are pulling it out of the truck today and shipping it to my mechanic

oh.. anyone know if It's possible for me to swap the door locks from passenger to drivers side? This isn't the original door and I don't have a key for it. would be nice to not have to unlock the passenger side and slide across all the time
    Last edited by b-dub; 03-21-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    anything I should do while the engine is out???

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    sorry didn't see your post, www.rockauto.com has the door locks for $14.00 for the set and that way you have a key that fits both doors.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    thanks for the info that will come in handy for sure.

she's getting there.. anyone care to guess what that white horn looking thing is... I'm hoping it's not what I think it is...

Array
    Status
    NJ
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type
    That white "horn" thing is an alarm siren. The truck must have an alarm in it somewhere. If you didn't get the remote fobs with it when you purchased the truck, just have the alarm removed, it's not worth the hassles trying to get it and the truck functional again. Just eliminate it

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Well that's a lot better than what I thought it was.. I thought it was one of those GHETTO megaphones hooked up to the cd player. ..lol I have seen that before and wow that would be embarassing

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    well I saw it today, nice big chunk was missing out of the timing chain cover but the chains were all there so not too sure what had happened. being taken out and pressure washed and hopefully he'll have the engine back in it tomorrow. I'm hoping to get to pick it up by the first of the week...

IMPORTANT QUESTION - some people hacked off the cat so it's just the header running off the engine....... would I hurt the truck to drive it the 10 miles to the muffler shop? I know some people have on other vehicles but I want to know from you guys who know these trucks.... 2.6l

also a bit of good news for once.. clutch/pressure plate and flywheel all appear to be in like newish condition.. so that's a major plus..

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Can drive just on the manifold, won't hurt the engine any. Might get a ticket for the noise, though. LOL

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    I know when we fired up the old knocking engine it was nice and loud LOL... if it's safe I'll drive it there. Don't have to worry much about a ticket in my area

I'd probably be more likely to be stopped for no plated or the busted window first

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast