Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Cable > Hydraulic clutch and brake question

Anyone done it? How much of a pain in the a$$ is it? Parts are easy enough, but not sure if the work involved will be worth it.

Brake question: Would like to upgrade the drums to disc, and even if I can't, any good after-market rotors out there that will bolt-up? Any bolt-up solutions for rear wheel discs?

Yes, lots of questions from me for the next few weeks. Bout to drop $3k on the truck, then take a week of vacation to make good on it.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Hydraulic clutches have been talked about numerous times in the past. From what I remember the only models of ours with the hydraulic systems were the diesels and the v6 models. Other then that the cable system works perfectly fine. If you have the 2.4 wideblock you can use the starion or conquest trans and drill holes into the cab to hold a master cylinder.

The rear discs, with a 5 bolt swap you can use the ford explored 8.8 rear with disc and LSD but I believe you need a custom driveshaft. The Toyota is similar but more modification is needed then a custom driveshaft. Some have talked about the montero rear end works if you add the spring perches for leaf springs.

Good luck and welcome back.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Or get the rear from a montero sport - discs and leaf perches. You can even just pull the mounts and calipers off the axle and swap them out with the drum brake rear axle and no axle housing mods necessary
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    I've only seen two people on the boards switch to hydro and they both had 4g63t swaps. The only person with pics is 4g63mightmax and his pics are on his forum hotrodcoffeeshop.com under his build thread.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    I got the 4g63 turbo swap and I'm sticking with the cable setup. Never did me wrong before, it shouldn't in the future. No slipping clutch issues and the pedal feels a little lighter then my 1996 eagle talon tsi awd.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Chevy V8
    I know that an older toyota rear -late 70's to mid 80's ---is six lug and has disc brakes...that is another option..and about an inch narrower.and they have so many options as far as gears and whatknot

as far as the switching over to hydraulic..the clutch master cylinder/resevoir is just align it with clutch pedal..drill holes mount it ...

have to run different proportioner? valves also with disc brakes i would think... a line here and ther...if i am not mistaken..

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    Or get the rear from a montero sport - discs and leaf perches. You can even just pull the mounts and calipers off the axle and swap them out with the drum brake rear axle and no axle housing mods necessary
    What year montero sport?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    You can switch to a master cylinder for disc brakes - on a 1st gen like my 1980, it would be a starquest - bolts right onto the booster. 2nd gen probably a montero. The reason to change it is the calipers need more fluid than the wheel cylinders. The starquest master has a 1" bore, the truck is a 7/8" bore. I will be doing a rear swap with a rear from a 95 2nd gen Montero - its a 9" rear with discs and I got the suspension links and the panhard rod with the driveshaft for 200. Just need to find better gears for the rear - it comes with 4.625s and expects 31-33" tires - stock 1st gen are 26".
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    You can switch to a master cylinder for disc brakes - on a 1st gen like my 1980, it would be a starquest - bolts right onto the booster. 2nd gen probably a montero. The reason to change it is the calipers need more fluid than the wheel cylinders. The starquest master has a 1" bore, the truck is a 7/8" bore. I will be doing a rear swap with a rear from a 95 2nd gen Montero - its a 9" rear with discs and I got the suspension links and the panhard rod with the driveshaft for 200. Just need to find better gears for the rear - it comes with 4.625s and expects 31-33" tires - stock 1st gen are 26".

Good info, thank you. Probably be easier to get a locker installed on the later model, as well!

Only reason I wanted to go to hydraulic clutch? No need to adjust...and I'm lazy. Great for building things, I'm friggin terrible at general maintenance!

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the 95 2nd gen rear is a locker. Any year Montero sport should be the same setup as far as I know.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Need more axle info, if at all possible?

What years will work?

What additional hardware/parts will I need to make the swap (Just axle parts)? Gear ratio going to be compatible (planning on 30" tires, subject to change)?

There are 3 different axles listed just for the 95', 2 do not have have ABS so I have 2 to choose from. The 2 are based on engine size, so which engine size should I be looking for?

Thank you!

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Bump, really need some info on this swap ASAP! = )

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Mine was from a 95 montero with the 3.5 and auto tranny. The Montero sports are usually 3.0s and ABS or not does not matter, the brakes won't know the difference. Be sure to get the driveshaft that attaches to the rear end, as the u joints may be different and a drveshaft mod may be needed.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Scranton, PA
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    im in the process of a hyd. clutch swap using starion parts (trans, pedal assembly, and MC). I drilled the spot welds out of the bracket in the starion and welded it to a fabbed up bracket i made then welded that in the truck. With the Starion pedal assembly, the pedal is way left of the brake pedal so im planning on modifying that to come over to the stock location by cutting the pedal and welding up some steel plate. Other than that, Im hoping my wheels wont hit the MC when laid out.

Truck also has a 93 toyota axle under it with a disc brake swap. It uses Monte Carlo front or Cadillac rear calipers (caddys have the capability of running a ebrake). But its also 5 lug. The 4x4 were 6 lug and the brake caliper brackets were for a 4x4 rear so it would be easier to put the rear discs on (i had to space the bracket a half inch in on 5 lug axle) I just don't know if the dimensions are the same and it would require a driveshaft rework. A lot of work for rear disc brakes.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Went ahead and bagged the idea of the hydraulic clutch. All in all it woulda been more work and expense than it was worth right now. Might change my mind again if I can get a heavier clutch, though!

Still trying to source a Montero axle locally. It's no longer just about the disc brakes, but also the locker, so well worth it!

May just break down and order the one from Wisconsin and get reamed for shipping.