1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

87 trans switches (3)

5 sp 4x4:
    -4wd hi
    -4wd low
    -Reverse
    I cannot remember how they are wired, seems there's 4 wires feeding 3 switches? Guidance most appreciated!

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgy71 View Post
    5 sp 4x4:
    -4wd hi
    -4wd low
    -Reverse
    I cannot remember how they are wired, seems there's 4 wires feeding 3 switches? Guidance most appreciated!
    The two 4wd switches are wired in series. One has two male ends, the other male and female. Connect the two switches via the female and male ends, then the remaining male end of each switch connects to the female harness leads. The backup switch has both male ends. Connect them to the longer run of the harness. This is the wiring for my ‘88. I think it’s the same for earlier years.

Array
    Status
    nebraska
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by FMS88 View Post
    The two 4wd switches are wired in series. One has two male ends, the other male and female. Connect the two switches via the female and male ends, then the remaining male end of each switch connects to the female harness leads. The backup switch has both male ends. Connect them to the longer run of the harness. This is the wiring for my ‘88. I think it’s the same for earlier years.
    Makes sense now, thank you!! Of the 4 wires coming from the source, only 1 has power. I'm thinking there should be 2 live, yes?

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgy71 View Post
    Makes sense now, thank you!! Of the 4 wires coming from the source, only 1 has power. I'm thinking there should be 2 live, yes?
    On my '88 only one is energized and it goes to the back-up light switch. The wires to/from the 4wd switches serve as the ground for the indicator lights, so neither should be energized. If you connect them (by-passing the switches) the 4wd light should illuminate.

Array
    Status
    nebraska
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by FMS88 View Post
    On my '88 only one is energized and it goes to the back-up light switch. The wires to/from the 4wd switches serve as the ground for the indicator lights, so neither should be energized. If you connect them (by-passing the switches) the 4wd light should illuminate.
    Got em figured out, thank you!