Status
    Morro Bay
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?

1995 Mighty MAX automatic, Shifter sticking

Hello everyone!

I have a 1995 Mighty Max Automatic 2.4L 2WD 4G64. When I turn the truck on and get ready to put it into drive from the park position, it does not move into gear. You will have to press the brakes and move the shifter back and forth multiple times to get it into gear.

Any ideas what could be happening?

Thank you

2.4L 2WD, 4G64, Automatic

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Sounds like a safety lockout on the shifter, meant to prevent shifting out of Park until you press on the brakes, but the lockout mechanism/switch may be sticking/broken/jammed or just need lubrication. If you can't fix it, you could just remove the lockout entirely.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Morro Bay
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    You are on the right track. I ended up getting under the steering column and it does look like it is not releasing all the way. I will look into just removing it entirely. I will included pics, just incase someone else is having the same issue. thank you for your insight.

Array
    Status
    redding ca
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    There is a locking nut that you can loosen underneath the steering column that the cable is attached to. with the engine off, loosen the locking nut that attaches the cable to the gear selector. move the gear shift to the park position. then take the cable and move it so that the cable is all the way in the park position and lock the lock nut. should be all good.

a few things to take note of if this is your first time doing anything like this.

before loosening the cable lock nut, take note of the direction it moves when you change the gear selector so that you know witch direction you need to move the cable.

Move the cable to get an idea about how it functions. you should be able to feel when it goes from park into gear. this is important. the cable should go into each position and stay on its own. you want to get the cable park position along with the shifter.

like i said above loosen the lock nut after figuring out how the mechanism works, put the gear select into the park position, then put the cable in the park position and tighten down the lock nut. do this with the vehicle off.

good luck.