Thread: 87 Ram 50 Sport - Labor of Love - Restoring the first vehicle I owned 25 years later!

Array
    Status
    Milwaukee, WI
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

87 Ram 50 Sport - Labor of Love - Restoring the first vehicle I owned 25 years later!

First I want to start out by saying I've been lurking in these forums for months, getting the motivation I need and knowing there's a source of info for other MM/Ram 50 enthusiasts who have a love for these trucks as much as I do. I knew I would need both, at minimum, to tackle the project I have ahead. I'm undertaking the largest project I've ever done, with no time limit, and realistically no budget...because this truck means so much to me. This was my first car - something most people my age (40's) or older wish they could have again. Introducing my 1987 Dodge Ram 50 Sport - 2.6L G54B, 2wd manual, A/C, P/S, bucket seats, short bed, optional instrument cluster, sliding rear window, 4-speaker system, chrome wheels...did I miss anything? Probably. It’s all original except for the radio/CD changer and the auto zone air horn assembly…. both of which my dad installed at some point in the mid 2000’s. An accident free, 1-family owned, clear title example of frankly the coolest 80’s mini truck you have ever seen around.

Back story – this is a coastal Florida native truck, never having been out of the state until just a few weeks ago when I hauled it out of my dad’s yard where it’s been sitting since 2011 on the Space Coast of Florida back to Milwaukee WI where I currently live with my wife and children. This was purchased new in 1987 by my maternal grandfather (AKA papa) who was a manager at the (now closed) McDonnell Douglas Tomahawk missile plant in Titusville, FL from the local Titusville dealership. I do not know if he special ordered it this way, or if they had this highly optioned model sitting on the lot – he’s since passed and this truck that I spent countless times going to the lake with his bass boat in tow with has many memories.

I was gifted the truck on my 15th birthday – the same day I took my learners permit license test in this truck, and my papa handed me the title and keys. I used this truck, usually illegally (no licensed driver in passenger seat, no insurance) to drive to/from Titusville High School starting as a freshman – something nobody else did in 9th grade because nobody I knew of at the school had a car or license, and the school didn’t issue permits to park for freshmen because of that. I would park across the street from the football field (which I played in HS) at the Perkin’s Restaurant (now closed) and walk across the field to class. Usually with a friend or three in tow! I barely remember ever riding the bus, because I had this truck….and when you’re a kid that drives a truck to school, and on the football team, legalities aside, you have no problem finding passengers lol.

I used the truck until I was 17, driving to/from menial teenager jobs, throwing a mower in the back to cut neighbors lawns, hauling my dirt bike around and the occasional utility trailer. I got into the lowrider scene and envisioned turning this into a lowrider. Like any broke kid of the day, I grabbed gold spray paint and hit the air intake, front calipers, and drums with gold Rust-O-Leum (you can still see this under the hood 25+ years later), lowering blocks in the rear, coil spring compressors in the front and low-profile tires on the original chrome wheels. In my junior year, I moved overseas with my mother to a military base in the Pacific (Marshall Islands – Kwajalein) and left my truck behind. Before leaving, I struck a deal with my dad to buy the (at the time) rust free truck with no issues – except he made me get rid of the lowrider junk and turn it back to stock…. sans the gold spray paint haha!

My dad has owned the truck since 1999 and I believe when I sold it to him, it had maybe hit the 100k mark – it’s now sitting at 148k some 25 years later and has been sitting basically untouched and not started since 2011 in his yard. Although tagged through 2015, this was just for insurance/registration purposes, but it just sat. Eventually he stopped tagging and insuring it, and as both my life and his went on in separate parts of the country, building my career and family, I’ve always wanted to be in a position where I could rescue the truck and restore it in a garage. Logistically this was not a reality until this year. It was my mission to somehow haul out what was becoming a rust bucket every year it stays down there on the frame in his yard, uncovered and exposed to the elements and salt air with the beach being only miles away. I knew the clock was ticking, on the truck, my dad’s health, and the ability for me to retrieve it and be able to house it in a safe place.

About 3 weeks ago, I rented a Ram 3500 mega cab and purchased an auto hauler trailer with winch from FB Marketplace, grabbed the kids and wife and made a vacation trip to Florida and grabbed my little 87 Ram 50. As the trip neared, having scoured old pictures of the truck and reading the forums here seeing that this truck is special with its factory options, the rareness of the vehicle and the promise that I could one day get it back on the road I wanted it more than ever. The truck was literally sitting on the frame, all 4 tires flattened, parking brake on, in 2nd gear, windows up, doors locked and no keys to be found. Had to unfortunately break into the back sliding glass window to reach in with a pair of pliers to the driver’s door and lift the lock…it was so seized I couldn’t unlock it by hand. This was my first real indication of what I just got myself into, and I didn’t even know if it could get on the trailer. Winch issues, a couple of 30-minute-long hellish rainstorms passing through, and blood/sweat/tears later I got it dragged into my trailer, strapped down, and rear window Gorilla taped up (preventing wind from blowing out the doors/windows from the backwards tow). She was finally on the trailer and not coming off until back in my garage in Milwaukee some 1300 miles later.

Made the trip without much incident – except for the ratchet straps I had run across the cab/doors that indented the driver’s door…. the least of my concerns all things considered, she’s in a garage for the first time in her life and now the fun begins. It’s a time capsule full of memories and deserves to be brought back to life. I don’t know the overall plans for this truck except that it needs a lot of help, time and money. I am mechanically inclined, but as an IT professional my hands are used on a keyboard/mouse more than they are a wrench. I am optimistic that I can pay my way through a lot of this and the first step will be blowing the entire truck apart as much as I can, removing all the rust and cancer and doing as much of a frame-off as I can on this unibody cab. The truck is 100% accident free, with the exception of little dings you can see from it being a daily driver some 30+ years ago, the body is straight, gaps are even, frame is good (not rusted) and the truck is truly all original.

I wanted to introduce myself and my truck to the MM/Ram 50 community. Since picking this truck up, while it was still on the trailer in transit, I had no less than half a dozen people stop me at a gas station to talk about it. One guy followed me off an exit to the pumps when I was filling the 3500 Mega Cab just because he hadn’t seen a Ram 50 in a decade or more, certainly with this trim level, and told me I must bring it back from the dead. Even this morning, when I snapped these photos in my garage, a neighbor had a lawn care company at their house and when I opened the garage, one of the guys came over immediately and said he hasn’t seen one of these EVER in Milwaukee, he knew exactly what it was and instantly said “is it for sale”. I know I’ll piss off the MM community here, but you see A LOT more Mighty Max’s than you do Ram 50’s. The whole import/domestic collaborations that were commonplace in the 70’s/80’s/90’s really bought a lot of cool cars to the US market that otherwise were seen as a domestic car…except it wasn’t Those who know, know…and will follow you into every gas station you pull into even if it’s dead on a trailer lol!

I plan to document this long journey and will share my progress with the community here. It’s the least I can give back to those who’ve come before me on here with their projects, and the least I can do for the vehicle I’ve thought about, turns more heads and starts more conversations than the 20+ cars I’ve owned since! Wish me luck…I’m going to need it on this one! A true labor of love, and I can’t wait to see it again when it’s ready the party like it’s 1999!

Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Welcome to MR50 lithonius & wishing you fun restoring your truck
    Daily Overhauls Do Get Expensive

Array
    Status
    FL
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Sweet your dad held on to it all these years. You have got a fun road ahead of you doing what all of us wish they could have done. Congratulations and good luck.

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Welcome, and gratz on reclaiming your old steed!

That dent in the driver's door should pop out pretty readily if you just remove the inner door card and give it good shove from inside the door cavity. You don't need to entirely remove the card, as once you pop the retainer clips around the lower edge and sides, the top edge will remain attached by the vinyl covering, so you can just flip it up out of the way. You'll prolly break some of those clips, but I got this clip kit including plenty of those and many others you may eventually need anyway:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232800265368
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    IOWA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    That's awesome to see! A classic getting restored! from my own experience working on my '88 Ram 50 I highly recommend adding Volume 1 & 2 of the 1987 service manuals, and the Chilton manual to your books as well. They give a nice variety of information that the Haynes doesn't contain.

I look forward to seeing this truck come to life!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12574072365...Bk9SR-yr563rYw

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26645979503...Bk9SR5jA9K3rYw

Array
    Status
    Milwaukee, WI
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by zasher303 View Post
    That's awesome to see! A classic getting restored! from my own experience working on my '88 Ram 50 I highly recommend adding Volume 1 & 2 of the 1987 service manuals, and the Chilton manual to your books as well. They give a nice variety of information that the Haynes doesn't contain.

I look forward to seeing this truck come to life!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125740723659

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266459795038
    Thank you very much for this suggestion for the service manuals . I just bought them through the link you posted, that's a great deal for what looks like a relatively good condition set! I should have a Chilton's around in some boxes if memory serves, so if I can't find it I'll grab one from ebay.

Unrelated but in the spirit of gathering 1987 Ram 50 related paperwork from ebay, I found some mint 1987 color brochures for a couple bucks so I bought a couple, arrived perfect condition if anyone is looking for some or to replace your worn ones. Not affiliated with the sale just passing on since he has a few more left and for other year Ram 50's in his other items.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/361552280413

This weekend I'm taking the wheels off to get at the tires and at least put some new ones on, if for nothing else aesthetic motivation. I'm grabbing some wheel dolly's to move it around a bit since it's not quite where I want it, still in the position it was winched off my trailer. That's a whole other story involving mounting my 8500lb SuperWinch from my trailer to a 2" square hitch mount, bolted to the studs of my garage wall and cross braced with some steel beam to pull it off the trailer. The front 2 tires hold air but the rears are obviously shredded, so it was going to roll off about as easy as it rolled on...not well! A little nudge from the cable winch and it pulled off fine.

I've started cleaning out the cab, and have completely cleaned out the bed of all the debris that was inside. A residential outdoor trash can full of old dirt, sticks and funny enough one of the two missing RAM badges from the front fender. It was down deep in the bed pile of years past tree shedding from the huge oak that stood over it, shading it for most of it's outdoor life. So it already provided me back a little 'thank you' for tending to it again after all this time. I should be able to really get at it now that it's warming up and can get to things in the garage! Thanks everyone for viewing my truck and also for the replies and input!

Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Milwaukee, WI
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by SubGothius View Post
    Welcome, and gratz on reclaiming your old steed!

That dent in the driver's door should pop out pretty readily if you just remove the inner door card and give it good shove from inside the door cavity. You don't need to entirely remove the card, as once you pop the retainer clips around the lower edge and sides, the top edge will remain attached by the vinyl covering, so you can just flip it up out of the way. You'll prolly break some of those clips, but I got this clip kit including plenty of those and many others you may eventually need anyway:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232800265368
    Appreciate this link! I just ordered the kit thank you!

Quick update - I got the dent out of the drivers side door that I created during transport with the ratchet straps. I actually was working on remove the drivers door interior panel to get to the metal on the backside and 'pop' it back into place, and while doing so I rolled the window down to get to the interior door panel better and as I rolled it down....POP.....the window regulator going down must have hit it just right because she's back the way she used to be!

zasher303 - thank you again for the service manual link from ebay, I bought those exact books. Funny enough the seller was only 30 minutes away from my home in Milwaukee so not only was it here the next day, but clearly was meant to be mine. Now if only I could figure out where Bob Smith Dodge is/was? Google didn't tell me anything - who knows, maybe this belonged to Bob Smith and he had a Dodge Ram 50

Invested in the Harbor Freight sale this weekend on their 3 ton jackstands for $29/pair and refreshed my old set with 4 new ones for this project - this was the validation/reason I gave my wife and it worked, I think. She didn't say anything, so that can go either way! Got the truck off the ground and wheels removed for soon-to-be new tires. Not that it's going anywhere anytime soon, but I want all 4 to be able to hold air and move around the garage as needed, so that will be taken care of soon. Still shopping around on which ones to get, the 215/70/14 BFG's on there now are pretty much the most expensive variety I could find online at almost $175/ea, and not being sure if I am keeping the stocks in the end, may go for something cheaper. Interestingly, the spare under the bed is still the OEM Yokohama with a 1987 date stamp...now if I could just find 3 more of those I would have factory correct dated tires to go with the truck .

Back in 1999 I should have just covered the entire truck in gold Rust-Oleum paint, seems anything that was covered in it was spared complete rust annihilation! Almost forget I had sprayed the rear drums, rear shocks and even the frame rails with it 25 years ago....

Not sure the Rust-Oleum would have been a match for Florida saltwater however...this truck did see flood waters from the nearby ocean/rivers up to the door jambs because it was sitting practically on the frame as the tires were sunken down into the sand. Totally ate up the rocker panels, and my C-pillars are complete trash as is the roof and fenders. I am working on getting OEM MB# parts for all of the above, and have had success locating everything mentioned with genuine OEM deadstock so I am genuinely optimistic once I start getting the sheet metal in that I need to, for lack of a better word, fill in the gaps...that I will be heading in the right direction. Here's some detailed pics of the cancer that is coming out.

Making good progress, maybe at a snails pace for some but that's what still working a 9-5 and having 3 kids and a wife at home (who also works FT) gets me....evenings after work and a month of Sunday's but it's more progress than the truck has seen in over 20 years, having sat for the last 15 in a "ran when parked" status. Knowing the history, knowing my father and having been the owner of the truck myself at one time in this 1-family owned truck, I know it will run again! As far as it 'running' I will be pulling the motor out for a full teardown. At 149k original miles, it needs a refresh but certainly sitting for so long, the whole thing is going to be gone through and every part I can replace I will.

Except for these...the low-hanging door mirrors! I didn't even know these were an option, to be honest as I started looking around at Ram50/MM trucks on the interwebs, pretty much none seem to have these, all are mounted at the pillar. It wasn't until I stumbled on a picture of one in a salvage yard with the same set, and then I looked at some 87 Ram 50 factory color sales brochures (since purchased - thanks ebay) and saw these are ALSO an option. This truck just keeps getting sweeter and sweeter! Thanks everyone for following along!

Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by lithonius View Post
    Got the truck off the ground and wheels removed for soon-to-be new tires. Not that it's going anywhere anytime soon, but I want all 4 to be able to hold air and move around the garage as needed, so that will be taken care of soon. Still shopping around on which ones to get, the 215/70/14 BFG's on there now are pretty much the most expensive variety I could find online at almost $175/ea, and not being sure if I am keeping the stocks in the end, may go for something cheaper. Interestingly, the spare under the bed is still the OEM Yokohama with a 1987 date stamp...now if I could just find 3 more of those I would have factory correct dated tires to go with the truck .
    Hope you're being facetious there; even 7-10 year old tires should be replaced for safety regardless of wear, nevermind 37 year old tires!

FWIW, the stock tire sizes according to the owner's manual would have been P195/75R14, P205/75R14, LT195/75R14(D) or P225/75R15 -- strangely, an overall diameter spread (and resulting speedo variance) of ~10% due to all having the same 75% aspect ratio regardless of section width.

Array
    Status
    Milwaukee, WI
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hope you're being facetious there; even 7-10 year old tires should be replaced for safety regardless of wear, nevermind 37 year old tires!

FWIW, the stock tire sizes according to the owner's manual would have been P195/75R14, P205/75R14, LT195/75R14(D) or P225/75R15 -- strangely, an overall diameter spread (and resulting speedo variance) of ~10% due to all having the same 75% aspect ratio regardless of section width.
    Indeed just a joke, won't be on the lookout for 3 more date coded 1987 Yokohama's. The factory spare is a 205/75R14. Pretty sure the factory jack and spare tire tool/handle is behind the seats and I think I need that squared off head of the tool to lower the spare carrier? I looked at it from underneath and was going to pull it when I took off the factory's and was like WTF is this setup lol. Some very light reading on here, I saw a poster mention they were looking for the factory jack and handle so they could drop their spare under the bed. Haven't looked too much more into it, because I do think the factory jack setup is behind the seats somewhere but if not...well....I have about 1000 other things on there I can take off and will come back to that later!

Array
    Status
    Red Feather Lakes, CO
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    My '86 Power Ram also has those mirrors and I've seen them fairly commonly in salvage yards. Neat history on your family pickup!

Array
    Status
    Milwaukee, WI
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I located a nice pair of chrome low-mount mirrors on a parts truck across the country I may see if I can get the seller to ship to me. Most of the MM's/Ram50's I see, and maybe this is more for 2nd Gen 1987+ have the pillar mounted mirrors since those came standard. To be frank, for the longest time I thought my papa had just screwed in some aftermarket mirrors on the door because it just seems so unfinished with exposed sheet metal screws showing. Didn't realize they were an option, and just a quick browse of these trucks for sale on FB Marketplace or wherever you peruse, 9/10 of them have pillar mounted standards and not the low-mounted ones. I would imagine my pillar 'blanks' that fill in what would be the standard mirror placement in the window area are like kryptonite to find because you could only get them from a low-mount mirror option truck which I also do not see a lot of at salvage yards, rather the more common standard mirror. Cool option, had no idea it was even a thing.

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by lithonius View Post
    Pretty sure the factory jack and spare tire tool/handle is behind the seats and I think I need that squared off head of the tool to lower the spare carrier? I looked at it from underneath and was going to pull it when I took off the factory's and was like WTF is this setup lol. Some very light reading on here, I saw a poster mention they were looking for the factory jack and handle so they could drop their spare under the bed.
    The factory jack and handle/tool would be mounted under the seat(s) towards the rear. The handle/tool has a pair of opposed "wings" at one end that slot into the spindle of the chain hoist for the spare tire, via a hole just under the center of the tailgate above the license plate. That chain is hooked to the spindle at one end and a bracket at the other end, which just hooks into the center of the spare wheel. Then you use the tool to turn the spindle, wrapping the chain around it to hoist the spare up into place, where AFAICT friction alone holds it there.

Array
    Status
    Milwaukee, WI
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    The factory jack and handle/tool would be mounted under the seat(s) towards the rear. The handle/tool has a pair of opposed "wings" at one end that slot into the spindle of the chain hoist for the spare tire, via a hole just under the center of the tailgate above the license plate. That chain is hooked to the spindle at one end and a bracket at the other end, which just hooks into the center of the spare wheel. Then you use the tool to turn the spindle, wrapping the chain around it to hoist the spare up into place, where AFAICT friction alone holds it there.
    The wealth of knowledge from this forum is incredible. Thank you!

Here's an interesting thing I came across, now on the subject of the spare tire and OEM size(s). Just snapped a pic of the factory spare underneath just to sort of document the spindle and chain setup you're referring to.

My OEM Yokohama Radial 360 (aka Y360?) is a P205/75R14 which aligns with their offerings depending on model/options as you mentioned. My VIN plate shows a P195/75R14 - I would think my spare would match the VIN plate. Is it possible the spare was at some point changed to an identical model Yokohama with a larger width to a 205? Sure. Knowing the full history and ownership of the truck, I doubt it and think this is how it was sold new. Maybe they are all this way, I'm sure someone smarter than me on the subject can chime in or check their truck VIN tag and factory spare.

Just some more shots of the spare P205/75R14. I was thinking of buying 4 new OEM ones, but having trouble finding this size in the Radial 360 or any Yokohama for that matter - it seems to have been discontinued? The P/N# for that Yokohama is YOK-110136041 which seems to cross-reference now to a "MOPAR tire" with P/N# T110136041. Wonder what would arrive in the mail?
    https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...110136041.html

Some more shots of the OEM spare -

While I was down here figured I'd show a little of the underside

Tried a product to remove some of the oxidation from the wheels to get them ready for some new rubber, didn't work as well as I expected but still was neat to watch them bleed a little . I think I'll just have to break out some S100 polish and get my time in on them. I figure all this dressing up of the stock wheels with some new tires will somehow make the truck look a little better in the garage, at least so I can keep lying to myself that it's not as bad as it looks from afar. Going for the looks-good-20ft-away angle until I start getting serious on what really needs to be done. EVERYTHING

AFTER -

Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    My OEM Yokohama Radial 360 (aka Y360?) is a P205/75R14 which aligns with their offerings depending on model/options as you mentioned. My VIN plate shows a P195/75R14 - I would think my spare would match the VIN plate. Is it possible the spare was at some point changed to an identical model Yokohama with a larger width to a 205? Sure. Knowing the full history and ownership of the truck, I doubt it and think this is how it was sold new. Maybe they are all this way, I'm sure someone smarter than me on the subject can chime in or check their truck VIN tag and factory spare.
    That mfr./VIN plate is just stating the parameters used to determine the GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating), in this case using the base-spec tire option. Using a different tire size/spec could slightly alter the GAWR/GVWR -- e.g., a larger tire on the same wheel would weigh more and may be less stable (due to a taller sidewall being more flexible), or an LT tire of the same size with a higher load rating would weigh more (due to more robust construction), so those may reduce the max. payload capacity (= GVWR minus curb weight).

Array
    Status
    Milwaukee, WI
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Well now time for some (more) ugly....honestly I'm a bit in shock as I started disassembling the cab. I was able to get the seats out, unfortunately the drivers seat rails came right off the bottom of the seat frame with the most gentle of movement. The passenger rails came off in tact, but rails are totally rusted and non-salvageable.

Started peeling back the carpet and this is the unfortunate result of a Florida hurricane flooding the cabin with salt water, complete with surprise sea shells inside....

This just went from buying new metal, to buying an entire new donor truck for a cab swap. I really wanted to keep the original cab. Really disappointing.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Washington
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Very cool to read your journey. I've had my Mighty Max since 1997 and it has also been a labor of love to restore it. I love your dad kept that truck and the effort you made to retrieve it. Best wishes on your restoration journey! There's nothing more satisfying than cruising down the streets in your truck. I had a guy the other day doing work in my truck tell me he wasn't going to call me because he wanted to take it home with him!