Thread: My 2.0 86 Mighty Max is running really rough

Array
    Status
    Rome Georgia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    That's what I found on my truck, the distributor vacuum advance diaphragm was not holding vacuum. You might have to buy a whole new distributor because I'm having a hell of a time finding a replacement vacuum advance

Array
    Status
    Dinuba,CA
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    Here is a link to the 1987 distributor vacuum advance actuator that fit my 1986 truck and it might fit the distributor on the 2.0L engine as well... There is a Tel No. at the page bottom to contact Standard Parts Company & hopefully they can source the part...
    https://www.standardbrand.com/en/ecatalog?partdetail=VC-268
    Thanks for the help but the vacuum advance on my truck it a little bit different the arm is curved on it but im going to try and rebuild it tomorrow and see what it does I took it apart already and it was so brittle

Array
    Status
    Rome Georgia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    If you rebuild it could you let me know how you did it? I appear to be in the same boat as you, since we have the same issue with our distributors

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    CARBURATION TECHNOLOGY in Tacoma, WA Alan there will rebuild a vacuum actuator or give you advice via telephone ~ I was unable to login to his website perhaps because I am using a military connection as guest now ?
    Daily Overhauls Do Get Expensive

Array
    Status
    Rome Georgia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    i was able to find the website, i'll give him a call

Array
    Status
    Dinuba,CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    So after rebuilding the vacuum advance twice it still didn't want to hold vacuum so im just going to buy a remafactured distributor from my local parts store it's 160 and its a lifetime warranty in case it goes bad

Array
    Status
    FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Although hey didn't actually rebuild my vacuum advance, they were able to find an exact replacement for my 1986 2.0 g63b. my-classic-car-trader.com/distributor-vacuum-advance-rebuilding/. $99.00 plus shipping.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Alan at Carburetion Technology is the man that I would choose to rebuild the 2.0L vacuum advancer (during the covid shutdown he shared info over the phone to help me rebuild my Mikuni carb) his website link here: http://www.carbtech.us/service/

Good info guys thanks for posting I can't find a 2.0L vacuum advancer anywhere online 2.6L is available though ~ O'Reilly's has a $83.00 core charge for the old distributor IMHO it's almost worth just keeping it unless money is an issue ~ FWIW I cleaning my distributor cap contacts & rotor which made the engine run much better but it had 2 or 3 quick engine misfires at 65mph on the H3 freeway so luckily Napa Kailua had one cap & rotor on hand and the truck runs great now (lesson learned)
    Hope you guys can get the parts you need & then post the source.
    It might be worth a tel call to Standard Products to see if they can provide or source the 2.0L vacuum advancer.

Good Luck
    Last edited by xboxrox; 04-14-2024 at 12:41 PM.

Array
    Status
    Dinuba,CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    I installed the new distributor and now it advances but when I had the truck idling I noticed the idle kind of fluctuates but when I tap the gas it runs smooth for a little bit and then it goes back to idling rough

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    How clean is the PCV valve ~ I think it only allows (crankcase gases) flow to the intake manifold & like a check valve no flow in the opposite direction ~ if you can locate an engine Trouble Shooting chart it will list the most likely cause of rough idle ~ don't be surprised if you end up having to learn A LOT and FIX a lot under that hood...

P.S. your truck is a 1986 Gen1 ?? Question, is the dome light inside the cab working & is the lens cover in good shape ?? If not then check out my thread in the Gen1 truck section ;^)

Array
    Status
    Dinuba,CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    How clean is the PCV valve ~ I think it only allows (crankcase gases) flow to the intake manifold & like a check valve no flow in the opposite direction ~ if you can locate an engine Trouble Shooting chart it will list the most likely cause of rough idle ~ don't be surprised if you end up having to learn A LOT and FIX a lot under that hood...

P.S. your truck is a 1986 Gen1 ?? Question, is the dome light inside the cab working & is the lens cover in good shape ?? If not then check out my thread in the Gen1 truck section ;^)
    The pcv valve doesn't have no flow in the in the opposite direction but it does have flow going the other way but yeah I know this truck need some work but now I have time to actually work on it I just need help on what should be replaced and I know it going to take some time to fix everything

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12