Array
    Status
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B

Not-So-Mighty

At what point is a vehicle worth a build thread?

Never?

As soon as you purchase it?

The answer is never clear. So here I am, 7 months into ownership of this final year first gen 86' Dodge Ram 50 4G63B, 5 Speed manual. Let's just say this truck entered my hands as a $400 beater. I wasn't exactly sure how long I was going to keep it, I just know I needed a little truck or wagon to haul parts around as my Audi 5000, and my Volvo 245 had both been totaled on the same day a couple weeks prior.

For the most part it scampered around for a couple months as an errand boy. The unbolted E36 drivers seat, and equally hardware rich toyota hilux passenger seat were removed and swapped for a mildly more secured Ford Ranger bench seat which remains in the truck currently until I come across a factory red cloth bench seat. It ended up having a breakdown after 4000 miles of nothing but back and fourth runs for parts runs and daily driving which gave me quite the run around, firing the parts cannon off up until I was about to pull the cylinder head off, and discovered the cam gear had been cracked the whole time. During the time off the road firing the parts cannon, I was able to source 90% of the missing components that the truck lacked on a pick n pull run, and sourced an entire uncut wiring harness off a truck being parted out on the Facebook marketplace.

Lots of things got done during this downtime as well. A full exhaust was made as the setup on the truck when I bought it was straight tweaker spec. A heaterbox, and new speaker harness had been returned to the truck as well.

As of late, the truck has hauled me around nearly 8 thousand miles since purchasing it and mostly still is used as a parts hauler. I nearly traded it off for an AW11 the other day, but remembered I'd finally snagged an early Sport Steering wheel on ebay the week prior, and realized it was to arrive soon. It's really cemented itself with me for the time being, the steering wheel being a nice touch that holds me over and is one more step away from wiping it's tarnished past away.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    tucson az
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G61
    Very nice.. great looking truck.. love the interior work.. I dont have a dash pad so im trying to think of a way to custom make one..(design wise).. im sitting here looking at it and cant believe mine sat that high when I first got it also... now it sits almost too low lol...
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    R_R truck is looking good it's a keeper for sure..! Is there a vehicle lift in one of your photo..?
    I miss having a garage (to me, a garage is the great American Dream along with owning a ride we can actually fix ourselves)
    Daily Overhauls Do Get Expensive

Array
    Status
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Rebuilding the front suspension and dropping the truck is next on my list! Parts already on order, just need to install them.

Array
    Status
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    R_R truck is looking good it's a keeper for sure..! Is there a vehicle lift in one of your photo..?
    I miss having a garage (to me, a garage is the great American Dream along with owning a ride we can actually fix ourselves)
    haha, I agree! Nothing is more American than building your dream in the garage. The hoist is my bay at work, as I’m a Subaru Tech.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Reluctant_Rabbit View Post
    haha, I agree! Nothing is more American than building your dream in the garage. The hoist is my bay at work, as I’m a Subaru Tech.
    The two yellow labeled items above the dash..? Those are lifts..? I worked on my truck today grease wheel bearing, my 1st time ever, sucky work!

Array
    Status
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    The two yellow labeled items above the dash..? Those are lifts..? I worked on my truck today grease wheel bearing, my 1st time ever, sucky
    Oh yeah! That is a small lift for things at home.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Them Quick Jacks might be handy (safe? Allowed?) @ DIY carwash stall,mmm.

Array
    Status
    Upstate, SC
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Those headers look good. Im guessing you made them, where did you source the mounting flange or just cut/drill it? Those wheels fit the truck nice, what are those from? Cant really tell from picture angle..

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    those headers look like the Aussie Doug Thorley look alike headers - tri-y design.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by TintedRam50 View Post
    Those headers look good. Im guessing you made them, where did you source the mounting flange or just cut/drill it? Those wheels fit the truck nice, what are those from? Cant really tell from picture angle..
    I actually had it shipped from Australia. Was pretty decently priced, $300 shipped to my door.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    You are making good progress on your truck - keep up the good work - I am here if you need help with anything. Having owned these trucks for over 43 years - Geronimo being the first one I still have - I know a few things about these trucks and the differences during the 79 - 86 run of the 1st gen trucks.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Another week, another round of funds dumped into the truck. Unfortunately I got a ticket for improper/expired registration back in November last year, and had to address something I was really neglecting: figuring out smog, and registering a car in California. As you can imagine, there was no way in hell this truck was passing smog. My original plan was to go the same route I do with all my other vehicles and register them historically back in Michigan as it is very cheap, permanent, and can be done by mail with proof of Michigan residency. This however was foiled due to the fact that someone else had signed off on the buyer section of the title, and in MI that is a no go. The title was as good as junk. As I was in MI for the holidays, I was informed by the DMV there I'd have to have the truck in person to register it there unless I had a fresh copy of the title I could fill out for myself.

So plan B: Figure out how the hell I was getting this thing registered in California. Luckily once back in California, having a bill of sale wrote out from the guy who signed off on the title is a valid move as long as I still had the copy of the title. I ended up getting a passing smog, and got the truck registered. This has probably been the biggest expense so far, setting me back a cool $1160 in total.

I also received a large Rockauto order to rebuild the suspension, along with one of the dashmats they sell. I need to make up my mind whether or not I'm going to wait to get a proper set of springs for the front to lower it, or if I'm going to be an ape and cut the front coils.

My brakes are also nearing the end of life, and I'm looking to see if there's an easy bolt on solution for vented rotors in the front, and a disc upgrade for the rear. Any info on that would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images

Array
    Status
    tucson az
    Vehicle

Engine

4G61
    that sucks about the reg issue... and for 1160 the fucking state should of gave you a new damn plate LOL..... i would hold off on cutting the springs as I measured many times and cut mine... per many many many websites directions... and they are still too low... cause I cut them before I got my tires which are a diff size than original.. but in my case I like how low it is i just need to cut and flare the fender to clear.. im also working on new brakes but mine are toyota 5 lug front spindles.. good luck with the project and keep going..

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hello Rabbit
    I'm very much rather shocked and surprised that California is allowing (you) a Calif resident to operate your vehicle in Calif with another State's registration..! AFAIK, once you use a Calif address 'n qualify & are considered a resident of Calif & living in Calif the majority of the year & operating the vehicle the majority of the year in Calif THEN you MUST register the vehicle in Calif... Well, whatever you must know how to play the game; $1,100.00 is probably less money & less hassle than bringing the truck back to Calif emissions standards as well...

No offense intended OK [?]

I've learned to be very careful what I buy online especially auto parts; I been burned with getting the wrong parts many times... My advice is to try checking or installing the parts you receive ASAP in order to meet any return time parameter requirements the supplier might have...

My post signature is not far from the truth (for me) and now our truck has been in Hawaii rusting away too Your truck is lucky to have you as its owner; maybe my photo albums might be worth a wrenching look..?

I like your truck especially the red color, keep the pics coming alright

Array
    Status
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcolt View Post
    that sucks about the reg issue... and for 1160 the fucking state should of gave you a new damn plate LOL..... i would hold off on cutting the springs as I measured many times and cut mine... per many many many websites directions... and they are still too low... cause I cut them before I got my tires which are a diff size than original.. but in my case I like how low it is i just need to cut and flare the fender to clear.. im also working on new brakes but mine are toyota 5 lug front spindles.. good luck with the project and keep going..
    I am looking to make the truck ride the fine line of un-drivable low, lol. Luckily I have 1.75” spacers with my current wheel setup so a different set of spacers will let me tuck the wheels in for some crisp fender to lip Fitment. The rear is already fit with air shocks, so I’ll get away with lowering the rear and being able to adjust the dampening and save myself from some scrubbing.

Hello Rabbit
    I'm very much rather shocked and surprised that California is allowing (you) a Calif resident to operate your vehicle in Calif with another State's registration..! AFAIK, once you use a Calif address 'n qualify & are considered a resident of Calif & living in Calif the majority of the year & operating the vehicle the majority of the year in Calif THEN you MUST register the vehicle in Calif... Well, whatever you must know how to play the game; $1,100.00 is probably less money & less hassle than bringing the truck back to Calif emissions standards as well...

No offense intended OK [?]

I've learned to be very careful what I buy online especially auto parts; I been burned with getting the wrong parts many times... My advice is to try checking or installing the parts you receive ASAP in order to meet any return time parameter requirements the supplier might have...

My post signature is not far from the truth (for me) and now our truck has been in Hawaii rusting away too Your truck is lucky to have you as its owner; maybe my photo albums might be worth a wrenching look..?

I like your truck especially the red color, keep the pics coming alright
    Haha, yeah no offense taken! That total also includes the cost of insuring the truck, which I have to pay up 6 months at a time. Overall it was still cheaper than paying up the ticket, and having to deal with CHP coming and knocking on my door to take possession of the truck.

As for my Michigan registered vehicles, they are registered under a business and considered “work” vehicles. For mail-in purposes I have to have a valid Michigan ID to photocopy and include with my paperwork. I have an established California residence and a California ID as well, but my drivers license and insurance policies are out of Michigan. This has flied with CHP, and my local PD without any issue. Even at the DMV there was no question about the MM being on a Michigan insurance policy. This part might have to do with the fact MI has one of the highest insurance rates in the country as the state is “No-Fault” however.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    No joke Michigan high auto insurance rates https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/buyi...ry/ar-BB1i2pX6

Array
    Status
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    More time owned, more time spent working on the truck, and more time for things to break on me.

This round I got the period correct Kenwood tape deck functional, and installed speakers to the truck. I had wired the truck for a proper stereo setup when I had the interior out and insulated the cab, but never got around to installing speakers. A couple weekends ago I got my hands on a set of kicker 6.5s in boat boxes for $30. I retained the boat boxes as I worry about the cab leaking due to the shitty sunroof seal. In the dash is a PolkAudio 4x6 to give a decent high end, and the kickers follow a good midrange. The truck is wired for a sub, and would like to figure out a low-pro that doesn't sound like tin to fit under the seat. For now, it does sound great as it is being that a single cab doesn't take much to fill with sound.

I also made an attempt at tackling the sunroof seal, which made it better but hasn't totally solved my leak. I need to silicone the seal I crafted as water gets under it in the crevice I have it wrapping over.

I am on the hunt for a couple pieces if anyone has them. I'm looking for a functional headlight/wiper multifunction switch, my lights will only work if I hold the brights on. I've gone through the harness, swapped out the relay for a known good one to no prevail. The headlights work intermittently, no matter how I touch things it's at the mercy of the headlight switch completing it's ground circuit.

Aesthetically I'd really like to complete the trim line, my trim is missing from the bed sides on bothsides.

TL:DR

- radio functions
    - sunroof nearly leak free
    - Need a headlight multifunction switch (PM me if you have one to sell, 86' with intermittent wipers)
    - Want to buy body trim (PM me if you have a set to sell)
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    tucson az
    Vehicle

Engine

4G61
    I have one I pulled from my 86... unknown condition as I got the truck as a bare shell/frame.. I put a 90 eclipse one in mine..
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    North Dakota
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    For the sub, how about a JBL Fuze. It comes as two units bolted together, but you can separate them and there is plenty of room below or behind the seat. They do require an amp, though.

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    PB'laster touts rejuvenating rubber as one of its uses, so you might try treating the sunroof seal with that to see if that restores pliancy to improve the sealing against the glass panel. Also, if that glass panel has no edge trim, use a green ScotchBrite pad with dish soap and vinegar to scour away any deposits where the glass meets the seal.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")