Thread: Electrical Issues?

Array
    Status
    Modesto to Fresno CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max

Talking Electrical Issues?

My truck battery loses voltage and won't start,when i don't start it for 3 days.
    If i drive it everyday, it starts up with no problem.

I also notice when i signal with the emergency brake pulled up with the key in the igniton to the last click before starting. The brake light on the instrument cluster starts to flicker also.

Anyone with the same problem or have any idea of what's cause my battery to drain, or know what is causing my signal light to interfer with the emergency brake light?

Pls lmk (Thanks)

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    You have a grounding problem, thats the light problem. And your battery is dirty or there is a plate inside that is shorting.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Modesto to Fresno CA
    Vehicle

Hey camoit,
    The battery is new, so i think i can elimintate that troubleshoot. As for the grounding problem, I will check all the wires that's ground to see if any are loose.
    What do you mean when you say there might be a plate inside that is shorting?

Thanks again camoit for the reply

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Inside a battery cell there are 12 led plates separated by paper. If they touch each other then the cell will go bad. If they are exposed to air, they go bad.
    As for grounding some times people buy these red and black cable clamps. They replace the clamp on the cable but never remove the black or red powder coating from the clamp. Where they touch the post and cable. They work some times but not others. There should be a ground from the Bat to the engine, Bat to Cab, engine to the cab, cab to frame, (under cab to trany some times but not all the time) ((Never hurts to have it)). But be sure to check voltages every where. 12.2VDC on a fully charged bat.
    OH one other thing to check. Let the truck sit over night then pop the hood and feel the alternator. If it's warmer then the rest of the parts then the drain is the regulator. Feel the back of it.
    Check the ground at the back of the truck for the tail lights. Clean with a grinder the place where it is screwed down. Clean good with sand paper or something. Then tighten the screw back down.

The lights are looking for a good ground. It's feeding back through something and voltage is leaking into places it should not be. Thats why the dash lights are glowing. I have seen tail lights that look like a train crossing when the turn signal is on.
    Last edited by camoit; 02-22-2012 at 05:37 PM.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Modesto to Fresno CA
    Vehicle

Thanks camoit, Are you the site mechanic ? haha jk. I can live with starting my car everyday and brake light flicker on the dash.

Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    You could also try disconnect negative lead from battery and using light tester connect one side to negative lead and other side of test to negative terminal if light comes on you have a drain, then to help isolate the drain pull each fuse one at a time till light goes out. This taken directly from repair manual on this site. I know cause i already looked it up i had same issue, fortunatley mine is just bad battery wont hold charge.
    Last edited by mopar_ja; 03-02-2012 at 02:34 PM.