Array
    Status
    Wasilla, AK
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Clutch Adjustment

Just put new clutch in truck less than a year ago and keep having to adjust it, any ideas on the issue, hard to believe clutch is going away that fast. Truck is an 1989 Dodge ram 50 4x4.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I'm prone to suggest it's the cable stretching.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Also make sure you leave a bit of slack at the adjustment star-nut. If you make that tight, it'll need readjustment sooner, and can contribute to premature wear as the clutch wears to a point where the tight cable won't let it engage fully anymore, so you wind up driving around with a slightly slipping clutch until you readjust it again.

I seem to recall reading of some issue with the firewall flexing/bending where the cable passes thru, might help to add a wide fender washer there to reinforce and help spread the stress.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Weird clutch cable on my truck too ~ new clutch with original cable = easily adjusted by hand star nut with cable slack when pulled away from firewall; few adjustments ever needed ~ original cable finally broke replaced with a ARP (?) brand from Rock Auto ~ 4WD & RWD cables available ordered the 4X4 (one inch difference I been told or read somewhere between the two cable lengths?) ANYWAY BE CAREFUL what you buy online ~ FINAL WEIRD RESULT IS this cable needs the star nut continually adjusted tighter by CHANNEL LOCK type pliers ~ truck shifts ok BUT I did smell clutch just the other day when leaving from a stop YIKES am crossing my fingers ~ I think the firewall rubber grommet is still available @ MEGAZIP for the old gen L200 truck.

Am Wishing you Good Luck coz thats all I really know how to do...
    Daily Overhauls Do Get Expensive