Thread: Burning or losing oil at an alarming rate

Array
    Status
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50

Burning or losing oil at an alarming rate

Checked my oil today for the first time since giving it a change last week. Had just bought the truck a couple days prior to giving it a change. It's down halfway already, haven't noticed a lot of smoke so I'm not sure if it's burning... but also haven't noticed any spots at all in my driveway, at that rate I'd surely see something right?

Only other thing I can think of is that it's collecting on the engine or underside of the truck. Underside is already pretty caked with oil/dirt but I figured it was just from never being cleaned.

Hopefully it's an easy fix because I do not have the money or knowledge right now to replace the head or anything inside the engine.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    First wash down the hole engine with degrees. Fill it to the line. Then drive like normal. Check the oil everyday. when it's down 1/2 quart make a note of it. Park it where the pavement is clean look for leeks. And keep us up to date. It can only go a couple of places.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Got a can of degreaser, do I just spray it all over the valve cover and sides of the engines that I can get to? It says on the can to be careful not to get on any electronics, anything I need to be especially concerned about?

Also, at the auto parts store they were recommending some type of UV dye you put in your oil, that you can see better where it is leaking from. Is this stuff good or a waste of money?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Just avoid spraying the electrical connectors, distributer and alternator. Let it sit for 10 minutes then wash with a garden hose. Avoid shooting the same parts as listed before. No dye is needed. 2 cans should get the engine, fenders and trans, front cross member, and rear end. If the engine has a miss after words you will need to remove the distributer cap and dry it out.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    Drive down to your local Self serve wand car wash. Turn knob to tire/engine cleaner. spray engine making sure you get around the front, sides and as much of the oil pan you can. let soak a few minutes. Turn knob to Rinse and Mist the engine in clean water. spraying the wheel wells and fire wall.If you still have a lot of build up you can use the high pressure of the "rinse" to hold the wand close and blast it off.

Array
    Status
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Got everything pretty well degreased it looks like. Hopefully I'll be able to see where it's coming out now. Any common places for this engine to develop oil leaks? I've read in general the valve cover gasket and fuel pump gasket are a couple places to look, are those easy fixes on this truck?

Array
    Status
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    So do these not normally leak oil a lot or what? I can't find many threads on this forum about it, or that other mighty max forum. There's a TON of material on 4x4wire about oil leaks, and the common culprits of them, however almost all the information is about the Montero specifically.

Are there any common spots that like to develop oil leaks? Truck has 144k on it and never maintained very well to my knowledge.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    valve cover is easy, fuel pump is a little harder. It's easer to replace it when the valve cover is off because you can see the cam lobe and place it in the low point. Rear main = major job, front main not so bad but you need some tools. Once you have it clean park it in a spot and place some cardboard under it. Idle for 10 minutes and look for oil spots. Then trace the oil with your finger to the source.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Thank you, that is exactly the answer I was looking for. Possibilities it could be and how hard of jobs they are to fix.

Have been looking into valve cover gasket replacement and thought it seemed like the easiest. I thought fuel pump gasket was easy too but after looking at the Haynes manual last night, it has you do a lot beforehand to get the fuel pump empty before taking it off. Maybe I should plan on doing it when I replace the valve cover gasket. Don't know if it's ever been done on this engine and it couldn't hurt.

One thing I forgot to mention, the valve cover has some kind of red silicon sticking out of the gaps around it. Wasn't from the last owner but the one before him. Is it likely this would have anything to do with the leak, or did he just add silicon when replacing the gasket you think? I've heard it can be better not to.

I'll get some cardboard out there and hopefully find the leak today.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    The red silicon means he has probably taken of the valve cover a bunch of times and not replaced the gasket and tried to use silicon to seal it. When you get new one you shouldn't have to put any silicon on it, I never have and don't have any leaks.

Array
    Status
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Damn, people actually take the valve cover off without replacing the gasket, and just silicon it? What would be the point?

I am getting a new gasket and replacing ASAP. Any special tools I will need or is it pretty straightforward? Found a step by step with pictures on how to change the valve cover on a Saturn engine, is this pretty much the same method I'll want follow?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Repl...-Cover-Gasket/

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    I always use a little ultra blue on the half round plugs where the cam was cut. As for the pump there is a fiber block behind it that will break. It's old and they just do. I silicone the bump and block just because it's a problem area.
    (Rule of thumb) Always have parts in hand before removing anything. The day you don't is the day you need the truck and they tell you, that it needs to be order in...
    Last edited by camoit; 02-16-2012 at 05:27 PM.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.