Thread: Does this make sense about the Dana 20 transfer case in Mitzi?

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other

Does this make sense about the Dana 20 transfer case in Mitzi?

You can see from the pics in the gallery the Dana 20 in the Mitzi has a one-lever shifter, and it has 2-lo,4-lo,2-hi,4-hi gears, and is a divorced mount behind the stock KM145 tranny with a short driveshaft between the two units.

Now ... looking for a used one to rebuild, a 1975 Jeep Model 20 Dana, I run across this guy who says

"Hi if you purchase a dana 20 it will have to be modified by removing the detent ball ...I do not do that kind of a modification and sell them because there is no guarantee they will stay in gear without the novak shifting mechanism..thanks"

In all my 4-wheeling in this rig, I've never had it pop out of gear. If anything, it's a little stiff to get out of gear. I usually have to rock it back and forth a little to get it to shift out or up.

Can someone clear up for me what he's talking about? I'd be surprised to find out the original builder did some strange mods just to put in one shift lever instead of two ...

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Call there guys on Monday. They will know or the right place to talk to. They don't normally work on the small things but they will know where to get the answers you are looking for. Just tell them you are a friend of On Site Concrete and need info. OH, get what ever info is on the tag on the transfer case.
    http://www.bayshoretruck.com/
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com