Array
    Status
    Minnesota
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63

Power steering out

I’ve got an 86 ram50 2wd. Today, the power steering suddenly stopped working. It’s got plenty of fluid, and I pulled the return line off of the reservoir and it seems to be flowing fluid when running. There are no weird noises or whines. What should I check next? The steering box was replaced with a remanufactured item last year, along with all the lines. That makes me a little suspicious that it’s a bad reman. Thoughts?

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    B.A.P. sold me a 2WD steering gear box but they claimed it was a 4X4 box ~ sh_t liars, I was out $450.00..! I still have that damn thing & spent $100.00 expoxy painting it red before realizing it was the wrong box for my truck..! I disassembled it to see if a 4X4 sector shaft would fit BUT it will not ~ in the process, I noticed their rebuilt box sector shaft was full of wear marks at the seal area, crap rebuild..!

Hmmm, what was happening before that caused you to buy a rebuilt gearbox..? The same thing..? All I can think of would be the power steering pump is not putting out enough pressure..? Especially if all the lines are clear, no plugs...

Better answers will be coming your way I'm sure...
    You can fix it, no worries, might take time but you will get it done

Array
    Status
    Minnesota
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    Old box was replaced because it was leaking, and the reman was pretty affordable. Now there don’t seem to be any gen1 remans around anywhere. I’ll try putting a pressure gauge on the high pressure line to see what the pump is up to.