Thread: Might of messed up but it will be OK.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72

Might of messed up but it will be OK.

Still struggling with purchasing a 90s 3.0 D50 Regular cab from a junkyard they are terrible at calling me back. I gave it a quick look over and got excited when it was a 3.0 and it had a clean interior, tach speedo and it looked like the ECU was intact. I’m in need of, my those parts I thought it was a 4X4 but it might not be, the paint job is bad but the metal looks straight on it. No great wheels on it aftermarket types with a 3.0 manual shift.

They gave me a great price on the complete cab with the tach head, ECU and wire loom that alone would pay for the asking price of the complete cab setup. The cab was solid the doors were good windshield was good I can’t think of anything that was toast on it really. Don’t think the bed was trashed either but not 100% sure on that.

The bad thing is the 4X4 and 4X2 cabs show they are different, suspension issues maybe I’m not sure if the cab is as clean as I think it is, if it is then it should have good value to a person that lives in a heavy salt state. I could just build the whole truck depending on how it ended up in that junkyard.

Hoping the ECU is bad but repairable so the engine and trans can be saved but that’s a dream. I can move the cab alone on my trailer but the whole truck is a bigger challenge moving it 600+ miles. Will have it trucked or I’ll need to use a car trailer.

Will see what they come up with on the whole truck price and go from there lots of option to consider.
    Last edited by Law Dog; 05-12-2023 at 05:51 AM.

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I think the 4x4 vs. RWD cabs mainly differ in the floorpan, with/without room in the transmission hump for the transfer case and its shift lever. As such, I think a 4x4 cab can work on a RWD chassis, but not vice-versa without a cut/swap/weld of the differing hump portion.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    I had to widen a 2WD cab hump to use it on my 88 4WD D50 I think the brake lines were different also.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I didn't think the US market got the 2x4 V6. It was a one model year specific truck here in Oz. That 5 speed transmission would be the ultimate missing piece for a truck mod...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Part #s for the 2WD and 4X4 bucket seat mount rails are different too ~ must have a different shaped floor pan...

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    I didn't think the US market got the 2x4 V6. It was a one model year specific truck here in Oz. That 5 speed transmission would be the ultimate missing piece for a truck mod...

I have a buddy that’s going to look it over again and get some pics for me he lives close to the yard, it was a rush deal when we were checking it out I just don’t remember a transfer case shift lever on the floor. I was excited to find a V6 standard trans with a usable or rebuildable ECU and tach speedo and other things that got me going. LOL

It seemed higher off the ground then a 2WD when I looked at it but l was checking out 3 possible trucks at the same time so it was a rush deal we did not want the place to think we were parting it out on our own, the truck was at their farm a few miles away from the yard. It took a while to find the area the trucks were at then my mind started racing, old D50 trucks excite me what can I say.

My current 91 has a ECU issue or a wiring problem so the main loom, ECU, tach Speedo, and cab Assembly for what they are asking is cheap getting the whole truck is a deal no matter if it’s 2 or 4 WD the way I look at it for what I offered. This truck is a unicorn I was lucky to find it, they are terrible at getting back to me from the yard I need to call again today I have cab price but am still waiting on a whole truck price if the take my offer.

The next hassle would be moving it 700 miles to get it home, the cab I could haul on my 12 foot trailer maybe but the whole truck I might need to pay a hauler to truck it to my place or borrow a car trailer and pickup truck to pull it as my Tacoma is no pulling machine it sucks for that.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    Part #s for the 2WD and 4X4 bucket seat mount rails are different too ~ must have a different shaped floor pan...
    I’m going to look into seeing if a guy can just replace the floor mount ends that bolt down to the floor I have several seat brackets that would be saved by doing that, the tracts are good but the bracket ends got wet sitting in junk trucks collecting rain and rusted badly.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Good news the junkyard called me back today after I called them again before lunch, they will sell the whole truck to me it only took 3 weeks to figure that out but the junkyards are short on workers like everybody else I guess. Since we rushed through it the first time my buddy will head over there next week and take pics and do a video to send me.

The next step will be moving it 700 miles back to SD somehow. I’m not sure if I will trailer it, dolly it or pay a car hauler to get it home.
    Last edited by Law Dog; 05-14-2023 at 05:58 AM.

Array
    Status
    North Dakota
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    Here is how I did my 800 mile move. Lucky for me, he is a friend.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    I can get bids on it being trucked I will have to see how expensive they are if not the dolly is looking good. LOL

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Went to a graduation party at the neighbors he said he has family coming up from Louisiana with a trailer he will see if they can haul it back, that would be golden.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72

car-parts.com lists 2WD parts options on cabs so I’m not sure will know more next week

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Buddy looked the truck over and sent me pics and a video. So yes it’s a 4WD it has a 4X4 front axle but no sign of a transfer case lever that seems odd did they make a full time 4WD setup? Door vin tag says it was made 6/89 V6 manual trans I’ll need to look into it more with the new info I received today.

It’s a 90 SE model not much more I gained with a vin search really then that. I need to make plans to get down that way in the next couple of weeks and haul it home.
    Last edited by Law Dog; 05-16-2023 at 12:49 PM.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Looks like the ECUs are different from 90-91 3.0, well that stinks. LOL Just as spendy on the 91 3.0 models one place wanted $1,900 for their 90 3.0 ECU that’s nuts.
    Last edited by Law Dog; 05-17-2023 at 05:55 AM.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Found a used ECU on EBay for my 91 3.0 MD162826 it looks like if it’s junk I do get a refund the ECU place owes me a rebuild if I need to go that way will see if it fixes my fuel pump relay buzzing issue.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Looks like driving to MO and renting a Uhaul car trailer ($200) one way back is the best option. A dolly is half of that to move the new project home next week but I’d need a set of towing lights so the $200 trailer aluminum is the best option it looks like. Will take a set of tires and wheels with to get it loaded and strapped down for the trip.
    Last edited by Law Dog; 05-20-2023 at 02:29 PM.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Yeah that's the thing with a 1990 truck. One year production run and nothing is compatible. You 'could' rip out absolutely everything and change the harness and ECU etc - a lot of work to solve an issue...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hm, might Uhaul provide towing lights with the dolly, either included or for an add-on rental fee?
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    I’m sure it’s more for the lights on the dolly but no insurance on the dolly a $40 insurance fee on the trailer but the lights are on the trailer so it’s not a lot of difference.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Yeah that's the thing with a 1990 truck. One year production run and nothing is compatible. You 'could' rip out absolutely everything and change the harness and ECU etc - a lot of work to solve an issue...

lots of options I could just change cabs if the 90 D50 ECU and the wiring is good or if the new ECU does not fix the 91 then a new loom might be in order to fix that one with the rodent wire damage. I’ve swapped a few cabs already the main loom is no big deal really just time consuming.
    Last edited by Law Dog; 05-20-2023 at 08:21 PM.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Loaded it on the Uhaul trailer today finally got a good look at it close up the cab is solid and clean turned out to be an auto 3.0 4X4 A/C SE model. Will drag it home a see what’s up with it. Looks like a local lady owned it last no clue how it ended up in the junk yard.

Attached Images
    Last edited by Law Dog; 05-29-2023 at 11:26 AM.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I see far worse ones on the road... nice save!

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    It had Mopar shocks my guess she had the work done at the local dealer looks like a leak at the back of the motor rear main maybe?

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Looked it over some more when I got it home the gas tank is gone that will be a challenge to find, needs a short bed box for it, converter was cut off, tail light missing I have those in the shop and the back of the frame needs coated unless I locate a better one.

The cab is solid along with the front half of the frame I’ll need to take a closer look at the back half when the body is pulled off. Wheels look like they will clean up well the same wheels that came on another D50 I have so I should end up with a set out of the 6 I have. I wonder if those wheels are a factory add on I see them on a lot of trucks when searching for parts?

I’ll need to get into the engine and trans next to figure what’s the major issues with the truck to get an overview of what direction I need to go with it for sure.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Found some parts South of me it’s just tough to get a straight or quality answer with the worker shortage everyone's in a big hurry, if you ask about 2 parts you get an answer on one part. LOL I plan to check out several yards to see the parts I need before buying any junk. I need a short bed so I want to hand pick it. Never trust the grades they give you over the phone. I’ll pick up parts in KS/OK then swing over to MO to my cabin for an overnight then head back home.