Array
    Status
    Lincoln, NE
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Instrument Cluster Replacement

Hello, to introduce myself I'm Nick and I'm based in Lincoln and (as of 2 days ago) have bought a 95 Mighty Max and so far it's a super fun ride and I'm pretty happy with it. It defiantly needs work though leading me first to the instrument cluster. It's pretty busted and the only thing that works correctly on it is the gas, and I was wondering if I could replace it with a older cluster from a 87 with a tach. Any help or knowledge on the subject would be super helpful as this is my first project car and I'll have tons of questions down the line while fixing it up. Thanks!

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Welcome good luck on your project.

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I'd reckon any 2nd-gen ('87-96) gauge cluster should work in any 2nd-gen truck, but will let others here confirm or dispute.

Note there were at least two versions of the cluster for the US market: one version with just a big speedo, fuel, and temperature gauges, and another version with a smaller speedo and tach. I think all the wiring is present for either version, so they should be "plug and play".
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Lincoln, NE
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Cool that's what I thought so I went ahead and bought it, but I'm glad that to get some kind of confirmation about it. Thank you! I'll respond with an update after I pull old one out and replace it, hopefully by the end of the week.

Array
    Status
    Lincoln, NE
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dog View Post
    Welcome good luck on your project.
    Thank you! It'll defiantly be interesting for sure, but from some of the other builds I've seen from around here, it looks like I've found a good group of people, that all love the Mighty Max/D50.

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by woahnicky View Post
    Cool that's what I thought so I went ahead and bought it, but I'm glad that to get some kind of confirmation about it. Thank you! I'll respond with an update after I pull old one out and replace it, hopefully by the end of the week.
    The '87 cluster won't have as many warning lights. Your '95 has a check engine light and may have an anti-lock warning light. Neither were options in '87. With a little re-wiring of the cluster connectors, you might be able to repurpose any unused lights on the '87 cluster to serve as substitutes. Try to find a wiring diagram to help guide you, and save the bulbs from the old cluster. They may be needed. Other than the warning light differences, I think they swap is workable. Also, if the '95 cluster has an oil pressure gauge, replace the current switch with an oil pressure sending unit.
    Last edited by FMS88; 04-26-2023 at 11:10 AM.

Array
    Status
    Lincoln, NE
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by FMS88 View Post
    The '87 cluster won't have as many warning lights. Your '95 has a check engine light and may have an anti-lock warning light. Neither were options in '87. With a little re-wiring of the cluster connectors, you might be able to repurpose any unused lights on the '87 cluster to serve as substitutes. Try to find a wiring diagram to help guide you, and save the bulbs from the old cluster. They may be needed. Other than the warning light differences, I think they swap is workable. Also, if the '95 cluster doesn't have an oil pressure gauge, replace the current switch with an oil pressure sending unit.
    That's all good to know, I'll probably print out the diagrams for it when I go to replace it. I'm not too worried about the lights working, as long as I have the 4 main important gauges I'd consider it a success. I really appreciate your response, I'll respond back with my findings later when the unit gets shipped in.

Array
    Status
    Lincoln, NE
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    That's all good to know, I'll probably print out the diagrams for it when I go to replace it. I'm not too worried about the lights working, as long as I have the 4 main important gauges I'd consider it a success. I really appreciate your response, I'll respond back with my findings later when the unit gets shipped in.
    I am back with good and bad news, good news is the older cluster plugs right in and it reads everything besides oil pressure, I haven't went and replaced the current switch yet like FMS said previously and that's because I have ran into a issue that persisted before I changed the cluster and that's where my bad news comes in. The tail light fuse keeps blowing, and it stops me from having any backlight to the cluster at night when the headlight is on (also no tail lights at night) so there's a short somewhere on my rig, and it looks like the fella before me has went in and messed with a ton of wiring in the dash so it's kinda frustrating nailing down where it's shorting and I was wondering if anybody has had any similar problems or any advice on my issue. I'm a younger guy and with this being my first project I'm obviously not too experienced with wiring, and while looking at diagrams I'm a little lost.

Thanks for any help or advice in advance.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    I found a tach cluster when I was down in MO but the junkyard won’t get back to me on a price it’s been a week now. Sounds like it would drop right in my 91 V6 trying to purchase the computer also even if just for a core not sure why the games.

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    The tail light fuse keeps blowing, and it stops me from having any backlight to the cluster at night when the headlight is on (also no tail lights at night) so there's a short somewhere on my rig, and it looks like the fella before me has went in and messed with a ton of wiring in the dash so it's kinda frustrating nailing down where it's shorting and I was wondering if anybody has had any similar problems or any advice on my issue. I'm a younger guy and with this being my first project I'm obviously not too experienced with wiring, and while looking at diagrams I'm a little lost.

Thanks for any help or advice in advance.
    Electrical issues are a pain but a good Ohm meter is the best diagnostic tool for tracking down a short. Remove the fuse and test that only one side of the fuse connectors has power. Then test for shorts at the most distal components such as the tail lights, license plate lights and the front corner/combination lights. Next work your way toward the fuse checking the wires and connectors for wear or a faulty tap installed by a PO. Does it have a connector for trailer lights? If so definitely check that since those are often user installed. Any other non-stock accessory added by a PO should also be closely examined and tested. Keep in mind that illumination for the dimmer switch, radio, cigarette lighter, ashtray, hazard switch, blower switch and cluster are all wired through the same fuse as the tail lights. (I'm assuming my 91 circuit diagram is the same as that for a 95.)
    Hopefully the short is in the tail or corner lights. With perseverance, you'll find the problem.
    Last edited by FMS88; 05-02-2023 at 10:58 AM.