Array
    Status
    The Village, OK
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

1989 2.0 engine stop help

So I have posted here before and gotten help with my mini truck before and I'm hoping the wisdom of this group serves me well again now because I'm at a loss.

I was driving to the store the other day, and the truck just died. Sudden engine stop. It had been running fine with a little bit of a belt squeak. Slow oil leak, but I've kept her topped off. Make sure not to overheat her.

Got her towed back to the house, I pulled the timing covers off and found absolute havoc. The small belt tensioner pulley had exploded, and took both belts with it. I ordered a new timing set, replaced both tensioner pulleys and belts, lined up the timing marks and make sure everything was set correctly, and fired her up again. She took a few tries to start, but then finally came to life and ran fine for about 30 seconds and then the engine was suddenly stopped with a grinding noise that I assume was the larger timing belt tensioner pulley snapping back and forth as the main timing belt skipped teeth on one of the timing gears because the timing marks were not lining up right anymore.

I tore off the valve cover and rocker arms and all the valves look fine from up top. I haven't pulled the oil pan yet, but I'm at a loss because the engine was running fine before the timing set went bye bye and now it's not. Any ideas on what the most likely problem for running fine and then a sudden stop after 30 seconds would be?

Also the oil light was on during that 30 seconds of run time, and I had double checked to make sure the oil was topped off before starting her up again.

Any suggestions on what to look for would be appreciated because I really do not want to have to tear this engine completely down, it's my daily driver and I need it to be able to run.

Array
    Status
    tucson az
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G61
    first off try to turn it over with a socket on the crank pulley... it sounds like with all that havok it might of killed the oil pump and starved the motor and it siezed up.. if it turns over thats good news.. if not then im sorry its bad.. but that is the next step you should do..

Array
    Status
    The Village, OK
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I was able to turn it with a socket and breaker bar

Array
    Status
    tucson az
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G61
    was it hard to turn? u should of been able to turn it with a 3/8 ratchet and socket..

Array
    Status
    The Village, OK
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    It was about the same as when I last replaced the timing belt. Not easy, but not impossible. I'll try again with a 3/8

Array
    Status
    The Village, OK
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    My apologies, mine is an '87, not an '89. My next question is which oil pump do I get? Rock Auto doesn't seem to have one anymore, and I found this one which the site claims is compatible but lists the wrong engine number. Mine is the 2.0. 3G6B.

https://partsology.com/products/oil-...-8l-2-4l-op105

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Sounds like the counter shaft locked up on the oil pump side. That the one on the left side when sitting in the truck
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    The Village, OK
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    That comes out with the oil pump, correct? And is the link I posted above the correct oil pump for the 2.0? Their site says it is but lists the wrong engine number.

I appreciate any help you guys provide. I love my little truck

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    You will need an oil pump for a 1G 4G63. It will have a beefier oil pump in it. If you are going down this path maybe consider a balance shaft delete. It will eliminate the need for a secondary belt and have a number of benefits like improved throttle response and reduced load on oil pump gears.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    The Village, OK
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Nothing is locked up, everything spins freely now with a 3/8 ratchet. I'm at a loss. Spinning the oil pump with a drill does not bring any oil to the top of the engine though, so I'm guessing the oil pump is definitely toast?

And I thought to do the balance shaft delete you had to pull the engine out all together for the passenger side balance shaft? And I definitely don't want to end up with any more oil delivery problems.

Array
    Status
    The Village, OK
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Also, the balance shaft bolt by the oil pump gear is stuck stuck. Tried soaking it in pb blaster, tapping it with a brass hammer, tapping on a wrench with the hammer, using the breaker bar, and making a blood sacrifice.

Array
    Status
    The Village, OK
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    So far I've gotten the old oil pump off and everything seems "normal" other than a couple pieces of mystery plastic in the oil pan. Neither balance shaft is locked up, and there were not any obvious signs of catastrophic damage to any of the lower end of the engine. There wasn't anything in the oil pump either although the sump severely needed cleaning. Since I have it off and I have the new one anyway I'm going to go ahead and replace the oil pump, but that doesn't seem to be the problem nor do the balance shafts. I am hoping whatever the problem was is fixed by all of this because I'm at a loss to figure out what caused the engine to stop.