Array
    Status
    Amelia, VA
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

88 Might Max 2.0 Electric Fuel Pump Mounting Question

Morning everyone (at least where I am). First want to say cant thank you all enough for the wealth of information this forum has provided me. I have been working to get my Dad's 88 Might Max 2.0 5spd bare bones pickup (No A/C, no power anything lol) that he purchased in January of 1989 (121k original miles) running right after the stock carb took a dump. After reading on this forum i went the path of a redline weber carb swap and have been really been enjoying that. I am at the point of installing the electric fuel pump and just had a question on where you all found was the best place to mount it?

I went with the CarBole 42S pump after reading Geezer's recommendation in another thread and am going the route of wiring with an oil pressure safety switch and relay which are all purchased and ready to go. Really just want to make sure i put the pump in the best place. I have space it looks like to go on top of the frame rail right next to the tank but then i believe from general reading, the idea is to mount the pump as low as possible in relation to the tank. Just curious what you all do and if you have any pics handy, that would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Array
    Status
    Amelia, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    First post and repeatedly said Might Max insteady of Mighty Max......head slap

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Figure out if you need a pressure regulator with that pump I know just going to a Weber carb I was told the stock fuel pump was too much without a regulator. Not familiar with that model pump so it might be a go the way it is.

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Looks like the Carbole 42S is rated for 2-3.5 PSI, which should be fine as-is for a Weber.

As for mounting, I used a Carter P90091 which has a different shape -- long and narrow with an inline pre-filter and a one-bolt band clamp for mounting -- but I found a good place to mount it on my longbed '87 was on the fuel tank's front support rail. The Carbole might fit there if you add an L-section bracket between the rail and pump:

Attached Images
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Amelia, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Thanks for that pic. Its raining of course today and tomorrow so hopefully can get out there Sunday and take a look. Are you going fuel from tank to fuel filter to pump then to carb?

Array
    Status
    Amelia, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Went with what you did SubGothius. Had some extra metal laying around so built a mounting plate that used the same two bolts holding the gas tank and that tank shield plate you mentioned. Pic of this weekends progress which wasn’t a ton.
    Attached Images