Array
    Status
    Burlington
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

88 Power Ram 50 sport question

So ive owned 4 ram 50s now and this is my first 4wd one paid 800 delivered to my house by the owner. has 310k on the odo and ?still purrs like a kitten minus the extreme blowby. the truck does have the limited slip sticker and it defiantly works cause i can slide this truck around in the wet real easy but today i noticed that when i put it in 4wd or 4lo the rear end locks up and i can hear the wheels skipping if i turn tight on the dry pavement but once i click her into 2wd it frees up, is that normal for these trucks?
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Driving on dry pavement while in 4-wheel drive should be avoided. On part-time 4wd vehicles like these trucks, the wheels need to slip a little on turns otherwise the drive train can bind producing the lockup and skipping you described. As a test, put it in 4wd and try the same tight turn on snow, dirt or gravel. It should drive and shift without any disconcerting noises or sensations because the slippery surface allows the front and rear wheels to freely rotate at different speeds.

Array
    Status
    Burlington
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    ok ya i only put it in 4wd on the pavement to test it all out, i have my 92 4runner thats been my mountain rig for the last few years and it has a limited slip and ive never had it do what ive described the dodge doing when ive done the same test with it so that was more my question

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Considering the high mileage, it's also plausible your truck had a stock LSD, which burned out and got replaced with a regular diff at some point.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I have the same year and model Ram 50, but with an open diff. It does pretty much the same during tight turns on dry pavement.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    They don’t do well in tight turns for a smaller vehicle But 4WD trucks and tight turns seem to bind up in many vehicles.