Status
    Philly, PA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Howdy from Pennsylvania - "88 Ram 50

Hey Everyone,

I was poking around the forum last week and brought home a little blue Dodge today. The truck has been neglected, but it starts right up and wants to be driven. Manual rack! It's a blast to whip around.

After warm-up, there is a noticeable (if looking) puffing of white smoke from the tailpipe. It had been sitting for maybe 2+ months with low fuel in the tank. I'm hoping it's some residual water in the tank. After filling it up with high grade, the smoke decreased by at least 40%. I guess the head gasket is will not be too far away, when I crack it open for timing service. Weirdly, the temp gauge only goes from off gauge to the first mark after warm. Maybe it has a sensor with the wrong range.

Thanks for building a great resource! I hope to contribute once I start getting into it. The first order, of biz is new tires and brake job.

A few questions:
    1. How are these trucks on the interstate?
    2. Is there any serviceable component of the balance shaft? I have gathered that one of them is case fed.
    3. Any of you all running oil pressure gauges?
    4. repro floor pans recs ?

Thanks,
    AJ
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hello & Welcome here AJ

I really like your truck; especially it's stance...

Please replace the engine coolant sensor ASAP ~ read my recent posts about me having done it...

These trucks are ok nice & small but do require plenty fixing; I don't think they were made to last long time, just to fill-in gaps of American manf of small trucks...

Basically (for me) the fixing & parts replacing never seems to end..!

Have Fun & Nice to See You Here
    George
    Last edited by xboxrox; 01-26-2023 at 08:02 PM.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Welcome, Nothing a guy can’t replace on one of these trucks but finding parts can be a challenge but I like the hunt. I use car-parts.com to locate some hard to find parts.

Array
    Status
    Philly, PA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Hey George & Law Dog!

Nice to meet you both : ) I'm still doing so digging on what the POs have done. Good tip on the coolant sender and sensor! I just ordered a set.

Yes Car-parts.com is great! I've been working with Porsches lately, so the parts prices are good for the heart. But I really like how uncomplicated they are, simple and effective.