Array
    Status
    MA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Started to resurrect my 1989 Ram 50 and looking for 2.6L flywheel help

I pulled my truck engine back in 2017 and dropped it off at a local machine shop (friend works there). Shortly after I was diagnosed with cancer and the project was put on hold. Now almost 6 years later after surgery to remove the tumor, I'm finally able to continue my project.

Unfortunately in those 6 years the flywheel went missing. I've been having a heck of a time trying to find a 2.6 flywheel other than $500 aluminum ones. The ones for 2.0 and 2.4 are less than a $100 at the parts stores. I did come across this site and it shows that the 2.0 and 2.6 being the same, but it's the ONLY source that says this. Anyone know if they are interchangeable, or know where I can buy one that's not a high price aluminum one?

D50Engine.jpg

Flywheel.jpg

Flywheel2.jpg

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    I did come across this site and it shows that the 2.0 and 2.6 being the same, but it's the ONLY source that says this. Anyone know if they are interchangeable, or know where I can buy one that's not a high price aluminum one?
    Welcome back and here's to your continued good health. The 2.0/2.4 and 2.6 flywheels aren't the same. The 2.6 is bigger plus its ring gear has 120 teeth. As best I could measure, one I have from an '87 truck has an outer diameter of 11.906". The outer ring gear diameter is 12.125" and it's supporting shoulder or inner ring gear diameter measured 10.656".

Per my parts info, the P/N for the 2.6 flywheel is MD026786 and applies to 1984-89 truck model years. Here's an Offer Up listing for what looks like the correct part (based on an application list in the ad.):
    https://offerup.com/item/detail/7d9c...01?q=Dodge+D50
    This add is two years old so it might be gone. Still might be worth a try.

More promising is this current ebay listing:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/30387194749...Bk9SR7j086u9YQ
    It looks like the right part and P/N, but you'll need a ring gear, guide pins, and bolts, too, which makes it a bit pricey

You're also welcome to the used '87 I have, but it needs work (welding, machining and possibly a new ring gear). And of course there's shipping costs. I think it weighs about 35#.
    Hope this helps.

Did more digging and looks like MD026782 is also a valid P/N for your application. For the flywheel bolts, P/N MD008839 is the correct number.
    Last edited by FMS88; 01-25-2023 at 07:16 PM.

Array
    Status
    MA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Thank you for the response. I did go the OfferUp route as the seller was active, the listing was active (although old), and the seller had multiple 5 star ratings.

I had looked at the ebay listing as well but I know (after trying to buy from several sites), the guide pins are no longer available. I tried to buy them from several sites and orders went in, only to be cancelled a few days later with notes saying they are no longer available.

Within minutes I received a response, so crossing fingers....
    FlywheelReciept.png

Not getting my hopes too high as the shipping was only $14 (maybe the rate 2 years ago when it listed), but I'll report back one way or the other. I appreciate the help regardless.

Array
    Status
    MA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Arrived today. Looks like it may have been temporarily installed. I noticed no spot for a crank locating pin (not sure if it used one stock though).
    Can't tell if this is OEM or aftermarket or even if it's correct (hoping so).
    Here's some pics, maybe those with more knowledge can tell. It's stamped "54" so I'm hopeful:

Last edited by SubGothius; 01-28-2023 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Fixed image display

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Mitsubishi didn't use a locating dowel for mounting the flywheel, just the six special bolts. The just under 12" diameter and the "54" casting number match my stock flywheel. Don't know about the "2211 AMS" marking. I suspect it's an aftermarket part based on those markings.

Most importantly count the number of teeth on the ring gear. It needs to be 120. Also, do you have a clutch plate? If it fits the dowel pin pattern or the pins measure 9" apart, it looks like the right part. Still to be completely sure, see if it seats properly on the crank end and check if the ring gear teeth extend slightly beyond the outer edge of the flywheel. On mine they're proud by about 1/8" resulting in an outer ring gear diameter of 12.125"

Found the aftermarket manufacturer's (AMS) catalog with the description of the flywheel:
    http://www.showmetheparts.com/ams/
    Last edited by FMS88; 01-28-2023 at 08:48 PM.