Thread: Looking for a recommedation for a stronger clutch.

Array
    Status
    Lake Isabella Ca.
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T

Looking for a recommedation for a stronger clutch.

I replaced the clutch back in 2019 but it is beginning to slip so I need to replaced it again. The vehicle is a 1984 Dodge Ram 50 with a 4D56-T and four wheel drive. When I replaced the clutch before I just ordered a basic clutch from Amazon. If someone could suggest a good clutch I would appreciate it. I also see those clutches with the copper looking pads. Are those any better than the regular lining material? Some of those have a solid hub instead of a spring loaded hub. I am thinking that those might be more likely to shudder. Anyway any suggestions would be appreciated. Then I will have some transmission questions. Mine is starting to whine a bit.
    Thanks, Rick.

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Look into the Centerforce II clutch. It's pricey, but much better quality than supposedly OEM type clutches. My gas 2.6 could overpower the three year old Luk clutch I had before the Centerforce.

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I'd reckon a clutch spec'd for a turbo Starquest might be more robust and/or have more aftermarket performance options available? That engine's a 2.6 variant, so not sure if it would fit a 4D56T.

As for solid-hub variants, reckon those would have a more abrupt engagement without the springs softening that, which may also be less gentle to the transmission. Not sure about shudder, but I think that's more an issue with uneven wear, broken hub springs, or oil/grease/etc. contamination of the freewheel or friction pads.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Lake Isabella Ca.
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    Thanks for the replies. I will check out the Centerforce II. I have been looking at clutch videos this afternoon and I see that there are stage 1, stage 2 stage 3 etc. with each having a higher torque rating. One seller even had one before the stage 1. That's probably the one I put in. I am looking at the ceramic six pad disc with spring hub and rated stage 3. I am still learning and appreciate any comments. I do not drive hard but I do pull trailers that can get fairly heavy. Firewood cutting on mountain roads can end up with a pretty heavy load. Most of the time most of the uphill is empty but sometimes we go down the other side a ways and come uphill loaded. Last time I had to to put it in low transfer to get started uphill because the clutch was slipping.

Array
    Status
    Lake Isabella Ca.
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    Can any body tell me if one of these transfer cases is better than the other?. The transmissions are a bit different so I don't know if the transfer cases are interchangeable anyway. The first two pictures are the transmissions with transfer case attached came out of my 84 Ram 50. The third picture is a transfer case from an 83 Ram 50. The one has a bigger shift lever cover. Thanks, Rik
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Lake Isabella Ca.
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    Any tip on getting these screws out. I really don't know how to use a forum so if I just want to ask a question where can I do it? Chat room maybe?
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Torx sockets are available for use with a typical ratchet wrench handle, prolly what you'll need for those.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Lake Isabella Ca.
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    Thank you. I only had a 1/4 inch drive torx drive. I bought a 3/8 drive and clamped the housing down on the table and used a 1/2 drive ratchet and they came out nicely. And no Lock Tight. I was wondering if someone here on this site is familiar with the tear down and assembly of these transmissions? I have a different transmission than the one that came out of my truck and it looks like a later model or at least it is a bit more heavy duty. Trouble is it has a totally destroyed front input shaft gear. I think maybe somebody put to thick a front bearing. It did not have the locator snap ring on it and maybe it crammed against the output shaft and heated it up red hot and destroyed it. But I like the heavier duty reverse gear on the back. I was wondering it it could be fitted to my earlier transmission. I have some other questions about the bearing in the different transmissions and the availability of parts. Is there a parts list out there somewhere that's available. Anyway it there is someone out there that is familiar with the tear down of these transmissions I would like to communicate with them. Thanks Rik