Array
    Status
    Iowa
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Thermostat for better heat

Doing a coolant flush pretty soon and planning to replace the thermostat, currently has the original 180 degree unit. Will switching to a lower degree model like a 160 or 170 help get better heat in the winter, or will that pose a threat in the summer?

Array
    Status
    tucson az
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G61
    lower stat will make it less heat... think of it this way... u warm water up on the stove to 160/170... then up to 190.. which is hotter?.. same with a car cooling system..

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Yup, the coolant circuit for the heater gets coolant flow even before the T-stat opens, so by having the T-stat open sooner (cooler), that's less time the heater is getting exclusive access to hot coolant during warmup, and the coolant starts getting cooled off by the radiator sooner.

Best method to hurry cabin warm-up is to engage recirc mode on the HVAC controls, then after a mile or so of driving turn the blower fan on, at least to Low speed.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    160/170 thermostat will be better for summer temps. These trucks are prone to head failures due to cooling issues so maintaining the cooling system is crucial for longevity. Check the heater assembly and clean it out of any debris to improve heater function. I've found that the windshield demister diffusers can crack from age and this can cause the heated air to disappear under the dashboard.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Iowa
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    thanks for the help everyone, ended up geting a stock 180 degree thermostat. After I installed it and replaced the coolant from 2006, I have absolutley superb heat, and it keeps a steady temp. If im thinking right I believe the original thermostat was stuck open.

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by projectnitro8 View Post
    If im thinking right I believe the original thermostat was stuck open.
    Sounds about right if the engine previously took forever to heat up to operating temp and had little cabin heat along with that. You should also enjoy improved fuel economy now.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")