Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72

New project for the summer.

Picked up another D50 today neighbor bought it but gave up on getting it to run it has computer issues. He thought it was a 1990 but it was a 91 V6 4X4 A/T it’s in really good shape. I have a bunch of body parts so that works just need to get it running it’s the first V6 I’ve messed with. Paid $1,250 so not a big investment if I get it running I’m golden if not a have rebuilt 2.6 I can drop in it.

Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Nice lookin' score! Engine swap may be overkill if the ECU is all that keeps going amiss. I have wondered how well a Megasquirt or Arduino FI setup might work for these engines...
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    They have been working on the ECU problem for years and getting nowhere that brings the swap into play as a last resort. Will see where it takes me it came with 2 fried computers so frying ECUs could be spendy.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    If you have 2 fried ECU's then you want to make sure your IAC is not the aluminum and light brown one. This is a common problem on 90's Mitsubishis as the brown unit fails and then shorts out the electrical board on your ECU. Immediately get the updated Mitsubishi black plastic one.

https://www.3sx.com/idle-control-ser...3000gt-stealth

ECU's are also known to have leaky capacitors, so if they leak they will start to cause issues, or even burn up the board. You might try repairing or finding another one to swap in.

I wouldn't go downgrade to a 2.6. It isn't a direct swap and you would have a lot of work to convert over. Keep it V6.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Will do I’m hoping the ECU repair job will give me some idea if it’s the IAC but I plan to switch that anyways it would be sweet if that does the trick.

Thanks for the info.

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Definitely solid advice given. If I'd known back then, I'd choose the SOHC V6 over any of mitsu 4 cyl
    Smooth, compact, torquey, no balance shaft BS, sweet sound with the right exhaust, etc..

As for megasquirt.... a guy on turbodoge forum detailed his sohc V6 turbo prject. Youtube videos also
    Squirted a $90 stock junkyard Caravan SOHC 3.0 V6 = 500+ ft-lbs tq & 11.9sec 1/4 mile full street. Impressive!