Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by FMS88 View Post
    There's a lot to be said for expediency. Probably worth it to clean the other EGR passages in case their obstruction is contributing to the minor drivability issues. Also, if the head gasket manufacturer recommends it, check the head bolt torque after a few hundred miles. Otherwise, all looks good. Well done.
    I love your saying WELL DONE

We did the 3rd stage of head bolt torque when the engine was hot 75ft lbs...

Googled engine miss today & PCV should be replaced too ~ old PCV is about 4 years old...

Somewhere I have a booklet about adjusting the Mikuni carburetor which I must review & Google how to tune air/fuel mixture screw etc... My FSM 1986 Ram50 has some carb & EGR info too...

If the above parts are inspected tested adjusted (and check for vacuum leaks) then engine should run and idle a tad better...

The mechanics at MCBH Five O Motors said the cylinder head replacement job is a money maker costing about $2,000.00 here in paradise ~ all together it still cost me about $1,000.00

FMS88 did you see the two photo albums I made for Clearwater cylinder head job..?

Good Night
    George
    Last edited by xboxrox; 01-11-2023 at 11:04 AM. Reason: added VACUUM LEAK CHECKS

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I looked at your photos, but couldn't see any obvious point of failure. Still the cracks you point out definitely justified the head's replacement. A $1000 for a DIY head replacement is about what I'd expect. In addition to the head and gaskets, there's always other smaller items needed and they can add up quickly.

Regarding the 1/4" holes you circled in red in the old head pictures, those are passages to the jet valves. Since the new head has no jet valves, no corresponding holes were drilled.

Enjoy your ride!

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ahhh Jet Valve Holes..!

$225.00 of the 1k was shipping from FL to HI

Yessir Enjoy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12