Thread: 1st gen part catalog? (pre-1986)

Array
    Status
    Norway
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4G63

Question 1st gen part catalog? (pre-1986)

Hi!

I've got a 1st gen '85 L200 that I'm struggling to find parts numbers for.

I've installed the Mitsubishi ASA software from this thread, but it only has the 2nd generation parts list. Same goes for all online repositories I've found.

The closest I've come is 1983-1991 Montero/Pajero, but not all parts are interchangeable. For example, I was looking for a new heater core this weekend, but I could not find any at that matched mine at all. With a part number I at least have something to reference.

I have an old Haynes book for the Montero/Pajero, Shogun and L200 which is nice to have for instructions, but unfortunately it does not list part numbers.

Does anyone here know where I can find more info about 1st gen parts? Thanks!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    It will be very difficult to find part number listings for Gen 1 utility trucks. As it is, the vast majority of model specific parts will be obsolete and aftermarket reproduction parts will not be available. A Mitsubishi dealership that has been in operation for a long time may/will have part listings and corresponding numbers but they won't be of much use. You can either try posting a thread for the parts you are looking for or if you have a facebook page, put out a request and see if you get any responses. The heater core is a painful part to find. I have thought about adapting an oil cooler/radiator for a motorcycle/ATV. The biggest challenge is coolant inlet and outlet orientation. They make them in various sizes and you can buy them new relatively cheap... A friend of mine had their heater core fail in their Mazda 808 and they charged him $400AUD to repair it - ouch.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Descriptions of parts sold by Rock Auto sometimes include OEM numbers. RA lists several heater cores for an '85, but unfortunately all are out of stock. The description for the Four Seasons brand core lists the following OEM/Interchangeable numbers: MB080832, MB123850, MB123851, MB123852, MB272455.
    Can't say that any or all will fit your application and RA is not always accurate. Hopefully researching these numbers will help locate what you need.
    Last edited by FMS88; 11-08-2022 at 05:44 PM.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Mistakes & misinformation abound in cyber space ~ try to stay informed and you might be surprised how many 1987 'n up parts fit a Gen1 truck

Array
    Status
    Norway
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4G63
    Thanks for the replies guys. I will check out the mentioned parts numbers and see if any of those fit, or can be modified.

I'm willing to modify a heater core to make it fit by making new fittings, but the overall dimensions would need to be somewhat similar or smaller.

I will have a talk with my local Mitsubishi dealer and ask if they can source any more information.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by FMS88 View Post
    Descriptions of parts sold by Rock Auto sometimes include OEM numbers. RA lists several heater cores for an '85, but unfortunately all are out of stock. The description for the Four Seasons brand core lists the following OEM/Interchangeable numbers: MB080832, MB123850, MB123851, MB123852, MB272455.
    Can't say that any or all will fit your application and RA is not always accurate. Hopefully researching these numbers will help locate what you need.
    Problem is '85 is the change over year to Gen 2 - that's why the part number doesn't pre date any matches from 79-84.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    tucson az
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G61
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Problem is '85 is the change over year to Gen 2 - that's why the part number doesn't pre date any matches from 79-84.
    I thought mid 86 was change over?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcolt View Post
    I thought mid 86 was change over?
    That's part of the issue. When parts shops and suppliers refer the models, the vast majority of part listings starts at 85 and up, even though 79 to 85* were standardised for 2WD (introduction of 4x4 as an option was 1980) And you are right, somewhere mid 86' appears to be when most countries got the Gen 2 trucks.

Array
    Status
    Norway
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4G63
    I have good news! I asked my local Mitsubishi workshop, and they had a microfilm catalog with parts numbers.

The heater core has a part number MB123851 and so far I've found it available for $290 from mitsubishidirectparts, it's a bit stiff of a price, but at least it is available new.

By searching that number I have also found a parts catalog on a russian website for the american Chrysler version, named "Chrysler Import" on this website, it is most likely the '84 Dodge D-50. The categories have several vehicles like the Colt, Vista and Conquest, but it's the "Model 27 Power RAM" that belongs to the first gen.

I will see if I can dowload this whole repository so I have it for future use in case the website goes down, upload it and link it here.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hello ostlar GREAT NEWS..! They can provide you one or is it a discontinued & NO STOCK available item..?

I would love to have access to that microfilm

I found a different part # from Mitsubishipartsdirect (HVAC)
    https://www.mitsubishidirectparts.com/v-1986-mitsubishi-mighty-max--base--2-6l-l4-gas/hvac--heater

Last edited by xboxrox; 11-16-2022 at 12:51 AM.

Array
    Status
    Norway
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4G63
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    They can provide you one or is it a discontinued & NO STOCK available item...
    Seems like they have it in stock as I can add it to cart. Otherwise it would say out of stock or not available.

I will see if I order it + some other parts soon.

Array
    Status
    Norway
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4G63
    Quote Originally Posted by ostlar View Post
    By searching that number I have also found a parts catalog on a russian website for the american Chrysler version, named "Chrysler Import" on this website, it is most likely the '84 Dodge D-50. The categories have several vehicles like the Colt, Vista and Conquest, but it's the "Model 27 Power RAM" that belongs to the first gen.
    Correction, I see that the '84 is slightly different in its heater module as the heater resistor is on the left side, I have mine on the right side ('85). Here is a correct link to the '85-'86 parts list: https://www.ilcats.ru/chrysler/?func...85&language=en

Array
    Status
    Norway
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4G63
    Bummer, seems like mitsubishidirectparts only sell to US customers, that sucks.

Time to continue searching, or find a way to send it to a third party shipment service that is able to ship them to Norway.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    ostlar, I am located in Hawaii, USA ~ probably the worst point to send you a shipment from the mainland USA (furthest away back 'n forth)

I've ordered Mitsubishi parts from AMAYAMA & MEGAZIP (however, plugging in our US Mitsu part#s don't jive with their overseas L200 part#s)

Maybe there is a MR50 member on the east coast USA that is willing to ship you the part (?) but are you willing to pay the shipping price (?)

eBAY is our friend & many of the sellers ship at a lower cost...

THANKS FOR THIS CORRECTED LINK: (shipping to Norway from Russia cheaper (?) can the Russian site get the heater core for you (?)
    Correction, I see that the '84 is slightly different in its heater module as the heater resistor is on the left side, I have mine on the right side ('85). Here is a correct link to the '85-'86 parts list: https://www.ilcats.ru/chrysler/?func...85&language=en

Array
    Status
    Norway
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4G63
    Thanks for the suggestions, I've also ordered from Megazip for my Galant and it went great. Pricy shipping, but when you really need a specific part you just have to pay whatever for it.

I don't think I can receive parts from Russia after the war started, it was strict beforehand and almost impossible now, unfortunately.

I've found a German website originparts.de that sells it for €230 under part number MB080832. Might be worth a shot buying from them.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    I have a parts manual for 1st gen trucks, what sections do you want to see?

Array
    Status
    Norway
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4G63
    Quote Originally Posted by tortron View Post
    I have a parts manual for 1st gen trucks, what sections do you want to see?
    I've found a scanned version of the D50 parts catalog, so no worries! I made an own thread for it.
    I rescued one of the last roadworthy 1st gen. in Norway in 2019.
    Trying my best to keep it alive and well!

Thread