Array
    Status
    Red Feather Lakes, CO
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Heater core swap or repair?

My '86 has started smelling like coolant inside the cab when I run the heater and even the inside of my windshield kinda fogs up with I assume coolant. Anybody here ever had to remove your heater core from a Gen 1 truck?? How difficult of a job? I'm assuming the heater core is leaking and I'm hoping I can resolder/ repair but I may have to try to find a new heater core? Any suggestions / experiences welcome, thanks in advance. Bill

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    They are 'easy' enough to remove. You have to drain coolant, disconnect the heater hoses and remove the entire heater assembly with the control levers intact. There are only 4 flare nuts holding it in place - 2 mounting the upper half of the case to the dash frame and 2 on the firewall. The ducts are only press fitted to the heater casing and slip right off. Be prepared to do some mechanics' yoga to take it out. The issue will be the heater core. If it has failed on an end tank, there's a good chance you will be able to solder the holes up. If it's the cores it'll be harder. AFAIK there are no compatible heater cores and there are no OEM style replacement units*. Gen 2 HVAC isn't an option as an alternative either. Might only be a bad heater valve or hose. I've chemically flushed one using citric acid powder to dissolve all of the sediment built up inside of the core. Also a good opportunity to completely disassemble the heater and clean it out.

*I've thought about this and considered that an aftermarket 100/125cc 4 stroke radiator core 'might' be a plausible core replacement. There are different sizes available and can be bought relatively cheap. Issues are hose connection diameter and how much you will be prepared to modify the heater case to make it work...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Just an example - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001...d=3sUWgWfzaICK

M12 thread should be adequate for barb fittings
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    First try using Bar's Leaks Radiator Stop Leak Tablets. They're cheap and fairly effective for minor leaks, and don't have any sodium silicate that could lock up your engine if you have any coolant leaking into the oil system.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Red Feather Lakes, CO
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks Geezer! That's just the info I was looking for... but I've never heard it called mechanics yoga!! I've done my share of that and don't mind having to do it again especially on old vehicles like these that actually use screws and are meant to come apart and go back together. Most modern crap with rivets and spot welds could never be thought of as yoga!

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The heater case halves are held together with steel spring clips. Expect them to be rusty as hell - and don't lose them or you are toast. All of the air seals on the control flaps will have decayed. I used a roll of self adhesive foam seal (2mm thick by 10mm wide) to make new seals. The main flap has a big vinyl cover on it that isn't necessary. Just run the foam tape on the edges that make contact with the heater case.

...and, you're welcome

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Heater control valve thread: http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...+control+valve

Aliexpress ? Might they have em ?

Array
    Status
    Norway
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4G63
    I had the same problem as you, except mine got so bad that coolant started seeping out of the heater assembly.

Getting the heater core out wasn't a terrible task, the worst part of it was removing the hoses as they were stuck there pretty good. Use your hands and twist them while you pull the hose off. Do not use a pipe wrench like I did at first, ended up tearing a hole in the hose and slightly bending the pipe. It was all fixable afterwards though.

I located the leak to some crusty old solder joints, luckily they were on the outside part of the tubes.
    Cleaned them up with a brass brush and some brake cleaner, and soldered them with a tiny butane torch and regular solder.

It was not easy, and it doesn't look good, but it helped.

I can see by inspecting the heater core while the car is running with full heater and fan turned off that there is a slight amount of sweating still. At least it was better than it was originally, and is a placeholder until I can find a better (or hopefully a new) unit to replace it with. Alternative would be to remove my three leaking tubes and seal those completely, but I bet there are other bad solder joints too.

Attached Images
    I rescued one of the last roadworthy 1st gen. in Norway in 2019.
    Trying my best to keep it alive and well!

Thread

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    If you want to really clean the core out, fill it with a solution made from citric acid powder. It will break up the scale and calcification and get it flowing. I made a flushing rig out of a pressure cleaner that had a bad pressure regulator and simply filled a bucket with a warm mix and let it cycle through the core until there wasn't any more junk or discolouration coming out of it.

Array
    Status
    Norway
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4G63
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    If you want to really clean the core out, fill it with a solution made from citric acid powder.
    I've used 35% vinegar acid, that also works well, although it smells a bit under the process.

Thread

Array
    Status
    Norway
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4G63
    Update: I have yet to find any heater core replacement, and my core leaks worse than ever before now. Last resort is removing it and doing a bypass, driving in the freezing cold in winter with the windows down.

I had my hopes up when I ordered one from mitsubishidirectparts, but they cancelled it afterwards and sent an e-mail that it's discontinued and out of stock. There are none of these left on the wreckers in Norway, so I need to keep searching abroad.

Hit me up if anyone here knows about a heater core available (MB123852).

Thread

Array
    Status
    Red Feather Lakes, CO
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Finally got the time to pull my heater core unit. The core actually seems to be fine! I'll pressure check it before I reinstall it but I think all the leaking was coming from one of the hose connections at the heater core! I'm going to replace the heater hoses and use multiple hose clamps and hopefully slide the hoses further onto the brass heater core pipes to hopefully make a leakproof connection. I'll try to post photos of where mine was leaking...hold your breath and cross your fingers!
    Bill

Array
    Status
    Norway
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4G63
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengineer1 View Post
    Finally got the time to pull my heater core unit. The core actually seems to be fine! I'll pressure check it before I reinstall it but I think all the leaking was coming from one of the hose connections at the heater core! I'm going to replace the heater hoses and use multiple hose clamps and hopefully slide the hoses further onto the brass heater core pipes to hopefully make a leakproof connection. I'll try to post photos of where mine was leaking...hold your breath and cross your fingers!
    Bill
    That's great to hear! Still dry and well there?

I got a radiator shop to make me a new heater core, it wasn't cheap at $450, but it was the only choice. Now it will most likely last another 30 years so I'm happy. Got some new hoses while I was at it too and changed out some foam seals that had turned to dust.

Thread

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    NO (r) WAY
    Daily Overhauls Do Get Expensive

Array
    Status
    Red Feather Lakes, CO
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ostlar,
    Yes, I lucked out that my core is in good shape and the hose connections are clean now and not leaking. It looks like your core was unsalvageable so unless you could have found a similarly sized heater core in the junkyard that repair shop have you a good deal for the price... now you're heater system is a good as new! I'm glad to hear you are keeping these worthy trucks on the road in Norway!