Array
    Status
    Pearl, IL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?

1990 Mighty Max ECM 2.4l

I recently traded a .22 rifle for a 1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max. It's a two wheel drive 5 speed with the 2.4l inline four. It is at 165K miles and doesn't spark. It's been retimed, had a new coil, starter, distributor cap and rotor, plugs and wires put on. Supposedly a block heater caught fire and then it never sparked again but we've seen no signs of a fire anywhere. I plan on purchasing a new ECM for the truck but I read that a 1990 takes a specific ECM that no other models take. I would just like advice before I purchase the ECM. Any advice is helpful, thank y'all.

Array
    Status
    Pearl, IL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    This is the badge on the firewall.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The 1990 built truck has year specific engine peripherals and ECU so yes you will need to source another 90' ECU. Before you do though, the ECU's are relatively easy to fix - the common primary fault is due to failed capacitors. If the board hasn't sustained damage you could salvage it. Tell tale signs of bad capacitors are obvious leaks and swelling. If the board has been eaten by corrosion a repair may not work.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Roseburg OR
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Based on what you have stated, I would check the igniter. I may be wrong but I don’t think the ecu directly controls the actual spark, only the timing of the spark.

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by GSGalant View Post
    Based on what you have stated, I would check the igniter. I may be wrong but I don’t think the ecu directly controls the actual spark, only the timing of the spark.
    I think it may be the other way around? The igniter (magnetic pickup trigger in the distributor) also contains the ignition control module (ICM), and the signal from that, aside from triggering spark from the coil, is also used by the ECU to time injector firing.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")