Thread: Just got an '87 Power Ram

Threaded View

Array
    Status
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50

Just got an '87 Power Ram

Well I just bought an '87 Power Ram this morning, first time owning one of these but I had looked into them before getting my last truck. Someone right around the corner from me had it for sale, and it was right in my price range.

I'm impressed with it so far. Runs good, very clean interior, 4x4 works. I haven't done a lot of work on trucks or engines before, but am wondering what general maintenance might need to be done. It has 144k miles on it, has had the timing chain replaced but he wasn't sure at how many miles (he had only owned the truck for 4 months).

I don't have any special tools or a shop, but am getting a Haynes or Chilton's manual today. The EGR valve was taken out, apparently done properly and all vacuum hoses were capped. It takes awhile to warm up when it is cold out, and apparently is an issue with the choke? I have never owned a carbed engine or worked on one, but that's what the previous owner said.

I'm glad to have the truck, and it's nice to have found this forum to be a part of. My last truck was an Isuzu Pup and I spent a lot of time on isuzupup.com, always good to have help with any issues.

Zac
    Attached Images