Thread: 4g64 blue smoke and inconsistent ticking.

Array
    Status
    Coos Bay, OR
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

4g64 blue smoke and inconsistent ticking.

Hey guys, just bought my gen 2 MM a bit ago and i’m having some problems with it. blue smoke on startup, anytime when cold, and under acceleration. any reason why it would do that? also when it’s cold or randomly during city driving it will tick inconsistently on and off. any suggestions to fix this?

Array
    Status
    tucson az
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G61
    not sure on the ticking but blue smoke is oil burning... either bad rings or valve seals my guess would be seals since it does it on cold startup..

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ticking is most likely a sticky hydraulic lifter. The tried-and-true oil flush method outlined here might just resolve that:

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ll=1#post49688
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    If it's blue smoke only from a standing start, it will most likely be bad valve stem seals - it is the #1 culprit for oil consumption. If it looks like the smoke is mostly cold start and on hard acceleration then it's more likely to be worn rings. Sometimes rings and ring grooves get gummed up with burnt oil which prevents them from sealing as efficiently. The oil flush 'may' break up the gunk on the pistons and restore some compression and reduction in oil use but it's inevitable it needs new rings. You can get away with doing a dirty reco by getting a set of new standard size rings and giving the cylinder bores a once over with a bore honing tool as long as the cylinder bores aren't ripped up. The 2.4 is an easy engine to navigate around and work on.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Coos Bay, OR
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    i dont think the rings are bad because it runs really smooth i think the rings are stuck to the piston because its sat a long time before i bought it, but im not going to give up on it yet.

Array
    Status
    Coos Bay, OR
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcolt View Post
    not sure on the ticking but blue smoke is oil burning... either bad rings or valve seals my guess would be seals since it does it on cold startup..
    i dont think the rings are bad because it runs really smooth i think the rings are stuck to the piston because its sat a long time before i bought it, but im not going to give up on it yet. my bad i posted it twice im new to this
    Last edited by SubGothius; 08-31-2022 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Formatting

Array
    Status
    tucson az
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G61
    pull the spark plugs.. pour some marvell mystery oil in each cyl. let it sit 2 days.. crank it over BY HAND.. 3 or 4 times.. add more.. let sit another day or 2.. then put plugs back in start and let idle for 15 min... then check it to see if the rings released..

Array
    Status
    Coos Bay, OR
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcolt View Post
    pull the spark plugs.. pour some marvell mystery oil in each cyl. let it sit 2 days.. crank it over BY HAND.. 3 or 4 times.. add more.. let sit another day or 2.. then put plugs back in start and let idle for 15 min... then check it to see if the rings released..
    ill try that when i get the chance thank you

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Any luck with the oil flush?
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function