Array
    Status
    Iowa
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Hey Everyone, new Ram 50 owner!

Bought this 1984 Ram 50 Royal a few days ago, really exited to get it tuned and learn to drive it.

Any tips or things I should know?
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Say that is a very, very nice truck, the color, the chrome, it "Pops"
    Welcome to MR50 ~ there is a sticky (has a file folder icon) post for new owners that lists the usually done tune up items... If I was not so dumb & lazy I would paste the link to it here... A better member than me will most likely paste the link...

Couple common things to do is change the engine oil & fuel filter ~ my truck an 86 has the fuel filter near the front of the gas tank on drivers side, 84 same (?)
    It might be wise to check or change the tansmission & rear differential lube to synthetic variety..? I did it, the old oil was dirty...
    Guys here will need more info about how well or how bad your truck is running & some history to give best advice... If your truck runs as good as it looks just enjoy yeah...

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. There are still some really nice, clean examples of these trucks around. Someone has taken good care of the truck you now own. On the maintenance side - http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...and-do-it-ASAP This is a go-to guide for new members. The G63B is a forgiving engine to work on. As long as you keep the cooling system in check and in good condition, do regular oil changes and replace the timing belts at service intervals it will have a long life. Cooling system failures and engine overheats will kill these engines (cylinder head damage) and the G63B will exhibit oil system failures at the forward half of the engine (main journal between #1 and #2 cylinders and rod bearings) if it runs dry. You can experiment with ignition tuning to gain some performance as the recommended tune for US emissions standards is conservative.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Long Beach,CA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Check that cooling system and fuel system (filters mainly) other than that I presume she's taken care of with that nice look. Of course oil wouldn't hurt. You said learn how to drive it so I think it's a manual one very nice is it 5 or 4 speed?

Array
    Status
    Iowa
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Yeah, its a 4 speed manual. I've learned how to drive it so far, now i just need to learn how to drive fast enough to acclimate into modern traffic

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    This check might ensure you get ful enginel power to keep up with modern day road raging idiots

Pull a vacuum on the Mikuni carburetor secondary throttle ACTUATOR look down the carb and make sure the 2nd barrel is open on that 2 bbl carburetor