Array
    Status
    Jefferson PA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

1986 Power Ram 50 manual transmission

Mounts ,driveshafts, electrical,bellhousing bolts,cable, what am I missing before I bring it down? 1986 Power Ram 50, dropping manual transmission,and transfer case. Thanks.

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Gearshift knobs and their outer boots. The boots are screwed to the tunnel and accessed from inside the cab. You may also want to remove both gearshift levers, too. Makes it easier to get the trans out from under the truck especially if you’re using jack stands.

Array
    Status
    Jefferson PA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Have you had one out? Do I need to do anything with the clutch?

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Clouk View Post
    Have you had one out? Do I need to do anything with the clutch?
    Yes, but I pulled the engine first to change the clutch and deal with some other issues it had. Then dropped the trans/transfer case when I discovered it had to come out, too. Most folks don't remove the engine for a clutch change. They drop the trans/transfer case instead.

You don't have to do anything with the clutch, but with the trans out, now is the time to inspect it, the t/o bearing and the pilot bearing in the flywheel since they're readily accessible. If the clutch has more than 60k, you drive a fair number in-city or off-road/back-road miles, tow a trailer, or have experienced clutch shudder or slippage, definitely inspect and consider replacing them, especially the t/o bearing and the pilot bearing. If you have any doubts, better to replace them now than risk having to drop the trans/transfer case yet again should one of these parts fail in the near future. Also, if the pilot bearing has metal shielding, replace it with a sealed bearing like the Timken 102CC. The metal shielded bearings are more prone rust and seize which can ruin that end of the input shaft.
    Last edited by FMS88; 07-05-2022 at 10:02 PM.

Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    In order to separate Tranny from T-case the main shifter shaft below the cup that the actual shifter fits into, there is a roll pin that has to be removed. its actually in front part of T-case.