Thread: New Here! Need tips and tricks for 1994 Mighty Max 4g63T swap is in the works...

Array
    Status
    Bradenton, FL
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T

New Here! Need tips and tricks for 1994 Mighty Max 4g63T swap is in the works...

Hey yall, Here is my 1994 Mighty Max that I plan on doing a 4G63T swap in. I have already acquired a 4g63t 7 bolt engine that I plan on rebuilding and using but still looking for a viable trans. I am torn on weather I should spend the chunk of change and go fairly built with h beam manley rods and wiseco pistons and throw some 272 cams in it, or just go for a decent stock-ish rebuild. I also really would like to go standalone ECU and was very interested in FuelTech's FT450 with the universal 4 cyl. Harness, but I feel like theres a cheaper option if I were to just go with a mild/stock rebuild. Also I have heard of a lot of guys going for the km132 trans out of the older mitsu trucks that fit narrow blocks, but I would also be interested in any other stronger options? I know Bill Hincher is a popular name for adapters but how extravagant would it be for these other options to be used? Ive heard rx7 trans and 3rd gen Supra trans are an option but what about shifter location/driveshaft needing lengthened/output shaft spline count etc. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated, I hope to get the project underway fairly soon but dont want to spend the chunk of change on parts yet until I and certain of the route im going,

Thanks!
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Welcome. Only you can decide what your goals/budget is, do you want a crazy build or just a cheap stocker? A KM132 is the go to tranny for a lot because it bolts right up and they are cheap and pretty easy to find. Don't think it will last for much power though. If I was building the engine I'd probably go with a Toyota W55/W58 or R154 at the least. Projectzerog.com( https://projectzerog.com/index.shtml) and their forum has pretty much all the info you'd need to do the swap, but I'm also more than willing to answer any questions if I can.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. To save cash and headaches - use the stock manual narrow pattern 5 speed for the truck and add a reinforced sump plate. It will hold 500 hp once the sump plate has been upgraded. Look for 'Tuffpan' so you know what this thing is and if you can't get one, you can get one made (It's just a thick slab of billet - 1/2" to 3/4" thick) The sump plate will make the transmission housing rigid, preventing it from distorting and consequently causing the gear sets to not mesh properly. This is what causes them to fail when big power is pushed through them.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Bradenton, FL
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Alright thanks for the input, I definitely think ill be going with the km132 for my situation, the goal hp is 300-350ish and ive heard many different people say many different things about how much power they will hold, but I trust itll work out for my application, next big decision is if I should go with the fueltech standalone or if theres another option? I think I have heard of some re-pinning the stock harness and using an eclipse ECU? That sounds quite inclusive and not very tune-able but if it would be less work than going FuelTech with their universal 4 cyl. harness than might be worth a shot?

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    read sticky threads here + hotrodcoffeeshop.com + youtube Mmax build series
    5spd "can" and has stood behind many 300+ft-lbs well. An idiot can easily break one with 200 ft-lbs
    Do you wanna enjoy a fun torquey street performer... or bolt on slicks and ego-trip ?
    stock ecu has hit 300+(combos on dsmtuners.com)... bolt on mitsu upgrade turbo, oe manifolds, stock 2.0. DSM loom wires simple

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Spool View Post
    Alright thanks for the input, I definitely think ill be going with the km132 for my situation, the goal hp is 300-350ish and ive heard many different people say many different things about how much power they will hold, but I trust itll work out for my application, next big decision is if I should go with the fueltech standalone or if theres another option? I think I have heard of some re-pinning the stock harness and using an eclipse ECU? That sounds quite inclusive and not very tune-able but if it would be less work than going FuelTech with their universal 4 cyl. harness than might be worth a shot?
    Most just use the eclipse/DSM ECU and complete engine harness and install it into the truck. You only need to give the dsm harness some power and grounds and a few other things to get it to work in the truck. It is pretty easy. If you want to tune you would get an Eprom ECU and run something like ECMlink.

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Also, in early days, DSMs went quick with unopened ecus + the "hacks" (like moded MAFS, SAFC, injectors, logger) & 'bolt-ons'
    If you can still find the hardware, or equivalent.... like Ecumaster or such. Hella effective
    Heavy AWD Stock 2.0 pulled harder than I'd care to in any Mmax. Truck 5spd approves of this message