Thread: Decent header???

Array
    Status
    Greenville, NC
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50

Decent header???

i know this question gets asked constantly but does anyone know where i can get a quality header that will last and perform good on my 89 ram 50....or if anyone has a used one for sale? thanks

Array
    Status
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Array
    Status
    Greenville, NC
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    2.6 engine, thanks for the links

Array
    Status
    Greenville, NC
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    it says pacesetter are power header not torque?? i though long tube where for torque and would i have to get flanges rewelded on the pacestter from the start or do they tend to start leaking over time?

Array
    Status
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I dont think anyone makes a longtube header for these trucks. If you buy brand new, I imagine youd be alright for a little while. Once you get it nice and hot and then cooled down a couple times then it'll start to leak and you have to have it re-welded.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I have both the original pacesetter with separate flanges and a new one with a 1 piece flange. The welds are only tack welds on the outside, and are so lumpy on the mating surface, that by the time you get it flat enough to seal the welds will be gone and it will leak. My original one is about 25 years old and is getting thin from rust, but replacing it with the new one is not an option without rewelding the flange, and then adjusting the exhaust as it does not land in the same place as my current pacesetter does. I picked up a Doug Thorley Tri-y header that I will put on and adjust the exhaust as its the best header make for the 2.6.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Greenville, NC
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    i thought the pacesetter was a longtube header? pennyman1, so its not worth it to get a pacesetter, where can i get a doug thorley tri-y header? and are there any other headers out there for the 2.6?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    It does have tubes down to the collector, but the length of the tubes with the short collector moves the torque peak way up in the power band, and is way out of range for a stock motor. I am not a fan of the pacesetter for the 2.6, but if you fix its flaws, it is better than a stock exhaust manifold. Right now, if you contact doug thorley about their header, they want 800 to 900 for one, as it is not in production, but they still have the jigs to make it. Hooker and Cyclone made headers in the past, but haven't been available for years.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Greenville, NC
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    so my best option would be maybe to find a used doug thorley from someone, motor is stock now with weber but i want to get a header cam and go with the weber 38, motor has like 25k on rebuild with balance shaft delete, thanks for all the info ..it really helps out

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    You can always go to a machine shop and ask them who builds headers.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Lynnwood, Washington
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I found this site that has the Doug Thorley headers that will fit on the 1980 Dodge D50 Sport. I just thought I would share. Could I get confirmation from someone that these are a better buy then the Pacesetter header we're talking about here, cause I almost went and bought the Pacesetter until I read this post. So check it out and let me know what you think.

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/tr...thy133y-.aspx#

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Yes they are tons better, but good luck finding them I doubt that site has one in stock, you will have to get one made from Thorley as they havent made them in a while and its going to cost a good bit more then that.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    just tried the link - it comes up no model available for your application...
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Bonney Lake, WA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    I have both the original pacesetter with separate flanges and a new one with a 1 piece flange. The welds are only tack welds on the outside, and are so lumpy on the mating surface, that by the time you get it flat enough to seal the welds will be gone and it will leak. My original one is about 25 years old and is getting thin from rust, but replacing it with the new one is not an option without rewelding the flange, and then adjusting the exhaust as it does not land in the same place as my current pacesetter does. I picked up a Doug Thorley Tri-y header that I will put on and adjust the exhaust as its the best header make for the 2.6.

is pacesetter really as bad as you say? I have a long tube header on my 1984 2.6l and a weber carb but I havent gotten to drive the truck yet. in the process of rebuilding the engine(not on purpose) but i got a brand new header for christmas and now I'm scared about it. what is wrong with pacesetter? any way to make it better for the long run?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Reweld the pipes at the flange on the outside to ensure it seals properly, then grind the mating surface smooth so it seals to the head. Use permatex copper gasket maker on the flange to head seal instead of the gasket - it will seal the best that way.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    contacted thorley and they refused to make one and told me they wouldn't be so idk....